• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    The fisrt siren went off in Columbus about 7 minutes after the weather radio did for the tornado, then the Sevre Thunderstorm Warning siren went off after the storm was through Columbus. Kinda like an all clear signal for 4 minutes.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I was under the impression Marion county had some issues with the new software they installed. So know when they have to sound an alarm they all go off because they are unable to it do in just the affected area. And that is why they go off more than they use too. I don't know? Could be wrong but I am pretty sure that one of the local news chanels did a report on it last year.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The sirens serve a bona fide service. If you don't want them going off in your area, complain your local authorities. The National Weather Service does NOT set off sirens, the local authorities do.

2.4 What's the difference between a watch and a warning?
    A watch means severe weather is possible during the next few hours, while a warning means that severe weather has been observed, or is expected soon.

Storm Prediction Center Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    They used to only go off when a storm was actually severe enough, now it's just like lol rain, thunder, PANIC! herp deeeeerp. O.o.

I hate the weather man, Weather.gov radar ftw.

+1......the tv stations are usually wrong, either they don't care if an f5 tornado is rolling through my rural area because they are too focused on their car getting slightly moist in the parking lot. I need to look into going to BSU for this....I already predicted this winter, even though I was laughed at by tv idiots who said it would be a warm winter with just rain.....who won? :D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    they arent just for them tornaders either... severe weather.... or zombie attacks could possibly trigger them to go off.

personally i do not mind them going off. i live abour 4 houses down from one. 9 times out of 10 i am outside on the porch or deck or neighbors back porch watching the storm. there was another time i was trimming the tree (storm was not even in marion county) while it was singing its heart out... i guess its more of a people watching aspect i like the sirens for standing outside while its whaling away and they just look at you

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    they arent just for them tornaders either... severe weather.... or zombie attacks could possibly trigger them to go off.

personally i do not mind them going off. i live abour 4 houses down from one. 9 times out of 10 i am outside on the porch or deck or neighbors back porch watching the storm. there was another time i was trimming the tree (storm was not even in marion county) while it was singing its heart out... i guess its more of a people watching aspect i like the sirens for standing outside while its whaling away and they just look at you

and can be chopped down for firewood and used as a loudspeaker on top of old dodge police cars:):

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think that's correct

I was under the impression Marion county had some issues with the new software they installed. So know when they have to sound an alarm they all go off because they are unable to it do in just the affected area. And that is why they go off more than they use too. I don't know? Could be wrong but I am pretty sure that one of the local news chanels did a report on it last year.

The old system still had sirens which were installed in the 50s, Cold War era. I grew up calling them air raid sirens. Several were beyond repair with parts no longer available. Marion County is big enough that a dangerous storm could hit Pike Township while it's nice and sunny in Franklin, for example. The new system is intended to allow activation by individual township. The upgrade started in 2007 and isn't complete yet. It was/is a major overhaul replacing lots of old equipment and upgrading the newer sirens. The new system is broadband activated and could have included a Wi-Fi hotspot at each siren for only an extra half million bucks! Of course, they probably wouldn't be working yet either. :)

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I would like to hear them go off when there is a sale at Wall-mart in pace of them going off when the wind blows more than 5mph and a rain drop falls out of the sky. It would do just about as good.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I would like to hear them go off when there is a sale at Wall-mart in pace of them going off when the wind blows more than 5mph and a rain drop falls out of the sky. It would do just about as good.

just fire up the trusty chain saw and take care of it.......I live in the middle of nowhere, so no sirens, just open fields to watch it coming at us.....lol

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just wait until the sirens are the equivalent of a security drill on a Naval vessel....Everyone stop what you are doing and sit down on the floor until the all clear has been sounded........An officer will be by shortly to scan you and check your papers....

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Just wait until the sirens are the equivalent of a security drill on a Naval vessel....Everyone stop what you are doing and sit down on the floor until the all clear has been sounded........An officer will be by shortly to scan you and check your papers....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ever notice how pointless the duck and cover drills are at free span schools? at my elementary school, there were basement locker rooms and classrooms in a basement section that was half the size of the school........if you have time to leave the rooms, you have time to get to those places:):

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You don't have to ask me what I think about sirens. :n00b:

And no, this image isn't chopped... its taken from google street view.

tornado.png

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Has anyone else noticed how they are a joke.They go off about every time we get any kind of storm for no reason.The big one that hit down here on the southside a few years ago didn't go off till it was over.Every time time they go off now i have to howl like a wolf.Sorry for the rant but i am tired of the boy that cried wolf.:xmad:

Since I was responsible for the management of the Marion County Outdoor Warning System for 13 years, I have a bit of insight into the "hows" and "whys" of your complaint. Originally, the sirens were part of the Civil Defense system, to be used for warning of "atomic" attack. In the late 80s and early 90s, there were 104 sirens, of various sizes, spread out through the county, which were activated by Marion County Sheriff's Dispatch when notified through the Emergency Broadcasting Network or the National Weather Service. In the early-to-mid 90s, Emergency Management developed a plan to upgrade the outdoor warning capability by replacing old sirens with newer, more reliable ones; increasing the theoretical coverage throughout the county; and, most importantly, upgrading the siren control system, which was an analog, VHF-radio-controlled system, which was suffering from the same lack-of-coverage problems that led the county to move to an 800MHz trunked radio system.

It was recognized that complete outdoor warning coverage would involve something like 400 sirens in the county, and there wasn't money to do that at the time, so the siren coverage was increased to 140 over a period of 7 years (I left Emergency Management in 2002), with many of the old sirens replaced with newer ones.

At the same time, historical research showed that, of the tornadoes that had touched down in Marion County, a significant number had occurred while the National Weather Service had the county under a Tornado Watch AND a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. In consultation with the NWS Indianapolis Forecast Office, the Emergency Management Director, with the concurrence of the Public Safety Director and the Mayor, decided to activate the warning sirens when the county was under a Tornado Watch and the NWS issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the county.

In September of 2002, when the tornado outbreak slammed through southeast Marion County, there was no Tornado Watch in effect at the time. The county sirens WERE activated as soon as the first tornado touchdown was reported. I know because I was the Duty Officer in the Emergency Operations Center when the incident happened.

Since I left the agency, another siren upgrade has taken place, placing additional sirens around the county. In point of fact, although we have an emergency weather radio, the warning sirens woke up my wife the other night BEFORE the NWS issued its severe weather warning, allowing us to gather up the cats and get downstairs to shelter.

As an Emergency Management coordinator, I never advised citizens to panic when hearing a warning siren go off, but I did advise them, as I'm advising you, that if you hear a warning siren going off, you should get indoors or somewhere you can get to a radio or television and find out what's going on or if it's going to affect you. THAT's the purpose of the outdoor warning siren system.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Doesn't matter. We don't have a safe spot in our house. If a twister hits us dead on, we're gonners.

Also, I'm sick and tired of every broadcast news station going all weather all the time, whenever it sprinkles. Shut UP! I'm trying to watch the Oscars. If I want to know about the weather, I only have 3 different tv stations to choose from, plus a bazillion radio stations.

Also, I think the best time to drop a bomb is 11 AM. No one will think it's real when the sirens go off. :P

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    The old system still had sirens which were installed in the 50s, Cold War era. I grew up calling them air raid sirens. Several were beyond repair with parts no longer available. Marion County is big enough that a dangerous storm could hit Pike Township while it's nice and sunny in Franklin, for example. The new system is intended to allow activation by individual township. The upgrade started in 2007 and isn't complete yet. It was/is a major overhaul replacing lots of old equipment and upgrading the newer sirens. The new system is broadband activated and could have included a Wi-Fi hotspot at each siren for only an extra half million bucks! Of course, they probably wouldn't be working yet either. :)

If it saves tax payers money. I am good with all the sirens going off at the same time.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Spent

If it saves tax payers money. I am good with all the sirens going off at the same time.

The money is already spent. The issue seems to be getting the system to work as it was designed and intended. Sirens going off in your neighborhood when the sun is shining and you're out there mowing the grass doesn't build much confidence in the system even if there is a tornado in the opposite corner of the county. The new system in Marion County is new technology and had never been done on this scale before. It was a learn-as-you-go process when I retired in 2007. Apparently it still is.

Unfortunately, we live in a atmosphere of me-first-and-to-heck-with-everybody-else. It's often illustrated right here! :twocents:

Top Bottom