• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My early pick is Jermaine. He was ON during the challenge and he even put it in the center ring on the nomination range.

He's good with a pistol. Let's see how he does with a rifle...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I mostly follow the Glockers, still kind of learning who's who outside of the big names. This last nationals was really the first one I kind of followed.

All still new to me ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Jross1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    I just watched the first episode, it should be a better season by far. I think the air force sniper will pull out the win.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My early pick is Jermaine. He was ON during the challenge and he even put it in the center ring on the nomination range.

He's good with a pistol. Let's see how he does with a rifle...

If this shows contestants follow the "Survivor" series strategy, he may be one that gets called out in upcoming challenges.

The basic premis that I've seen utilized in Survivor is to get rid of the really annoying people first, then the really strong, and then let the rest work on a scheme to survive to the end.

That is all of course contingent on the strong ones not being able to survive elmination challenges. My guess is that in a game that requires much more skill than wit, such as Top Shot, that the strong will survive.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The format is all wrong. They should not eliminate shooters they should all stay, and all contests should be individual. Each contest should award points on place and they should keep a running total and the "Top Shot" would be the best all around marksman.

There would be plenty of drama for the TV still.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    The format is all wrong. They should not eliminate shooters they should all stay, and all contests should be individual. Each contest should award points on place and they should keep a running total and the "Top Shot" would be the best all around marksman.

There would be plenty of drama for the TV still.

Thats not a bad idea kinda like Racing. But I think that they should have some sort of elimination maybe like the amazing race the person who is in the last place in points after a few shows goes home. Until there are so many people left then its an all out shoot out to the end.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thats not a bad idea kinda like Racing. But I think that they should have some sort of elimination maybe like the amazing race the person who is in the last place in points after a few shows goes home. Until there are so many people left then its an all out shoot out to the end.

I like that idea...just as long as Jimmy Johnson doesn't win like 4 times in a row. :)

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I wish they were all allowed to stay in their comfort zones

In other words, I would like to see a show where great shooters compete using the tools they are most familiar with (i.e. competitive handgunners with their pistols, riflemen with long guns, cowboy actioners with their six shooters/ leverguns, etc.) and then give them all a series of similar challenges to see how effectively they are able to utilize their chosen weapons to solve the scenario.

As this show is done, you might be a top USPSA shooter, but then you're out there trying to figure out how to throw a freaking tomahawk or some nonsense. So you end up getting eliminated because you never saw "tomahawk throwing" as either interesting OR practical and the audience doesn't get to see you burning down targets with your weapon.

I mean, if you're good with a rifle, but haven't ever shot much handgun (or vice versa), you're gonna look like the average joe out there when they ask you to complete some challenge with a handgun. Who wants to see THAT??? I want to see the cowboy get to light stuff up with his peacemaker! "Oh CRAP! He just got eliminated in the first round because he doesn't know how to shoot a SCAR battle rifle!" Well what in the heck good was it to have him on the show if you're just going to do THAT?

I say have "TOP SHOT: HANDGUNNERS" and "TOP SHOT: RIFLEMEN" and "TOP SHOT: SHOTGUNNERS" and let each contestant in each show bring their weapon of choice! Challenges would be geared toward the types of weapons used on each show (i.e. handguns used rapidly at moderate/ short ranges, shotguns used at appropriate ranges, and rifles used at mid to long ranges). THEN we'll get to see some people who know their business get to show their potential and the potential of their chosen weapons systems! You could show DA revolver experts facing cowboy actioners vs. USPSA shooters, etc.. Everyone would be able to illustrate the advantage/ disadvantages each weapons system have as well as the strategies each competitor uses in each scenario to solve the challenges. You would at least be watching top shooters working with gear with which they are familiar and doing things they are good at. Watching a USPSA shooter get eliminated because they can't shoot a bow and arrow is silly.

As it is, I'd be hesitant to even try out for the show because I'd probably be eliminated in the "Spitting Watermelon Seeds in the Mason Jar Challenge" in the first round! I mean, that's a type of "marksmanship", right???

The way the show is set up, it is easy to see that high level shooting skills are pretty specific to what weapon you train with and many of the contestants end up looking little better in ability than the people watching the show because they keep getting put in awkward situations where they have average-at-best skills.

I'd much rather watch Todd Jarrett wring out a 1911 than most of the yokels on YouTube shooting their Hi Points for the first time!

Unfortunately, TOP SHOT ends up only giving us the yokel show (I point to the billiard ball challenge where it took the teams twelve minutes and twenty three minutes, respectively, to hit eight billiard balls!!!). If all of the contestants had been using their favorite gun, they would know the sights, know the point of aim/ point of impact, and could show their top potential against the other contestants' top potentials!

Just my thoughts. If you disagree, you're probably used to being wrong in other areas of your life as well.

Just kidding!!!!

Vanguard.45

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I agree with some of the ideas. I don't know about a total score based system, but I hate seeing people eliminated on the very first show, before we even get to see some personality (or true colors and attitude), and see them at their best and worst.

I say maybe not eliminate till episode 3 or 4, and let the winners in those first episodes have some sort of immunity, so they still get a reward, and we get to see everyone long enough to really pick favorites.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A good start to what looks to be a very good season.

One question - why did the gal on the Blue team who didn't hit anything get a pass when it came to the nomination range?

Would you rather look at her or those other two goof balls for 2 weeks?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    In other words, I would like to see a show where great shooters compete using the tools they are most familiar with (i.e. competitive handgunners with their pistols, riflemen with long guns, cowboy actioners with their six shooters/ leverguns, etc.) and then give them all a series of similar challenges to see how effectively they are able to utilize their chosen weapons to solve the scenario.

As this show is done, you might be a top USPSA shooter, but then you're out there trying to figure out how to throw a freaking tomahawk or some nonsense. So you end up getting eliminated because you never saw "tomahawk throwing" as either interesting OR practical and the audience doesn't get to see you burning down targets with your weapon.

I mean, if you're good with a rifle, but haven't ever shot much handgun (or vice versa), you're gonna look like the average joe out there when they ask you to complete some challenge with a handgun. Who wants to see THAT??? I want to see the cowboy get to light stuff up with his peacemaker! "Oh CRAP! He just got eliminated in the first round because he doesn't know how to shoot a SCAR battle rifle!" Well what in the heck good was it to have him on the show if you're just going to do THAT?

I say have "TOP SHOT: HANDGUNNERS" and "TOP SHOT: RIFLEMEN" and "TOP SHOT: SHOTGUNNERS" and let each contestant in each show bring their weapon of choice! Challenges would be geared toward the types of weapons used on each show (i.e. handguns used rapidly at moderate/ short ranges, shotguns used at appropriate ranges, and rifles used at mid to long ranges). THEN we'll get to see some people who know their business get to show their potential and the potential of their chosen weapons systems! You could show DA revolver experts facing cowboy actioners vs. USPSA shooters, etc.. Everyone would be able to illustrate the advantage/ disadvantages each weapons system have as well as the strategies each competitor uses in each scenario to solve the challenges. You would at least be watching top shooters working with gear with which they are familiar and doing things they are good at. Watching a USPSA shooter get eliminated because they can't shoot a bow and arrow is silly.

As it is, I'd be hesitant to even try out for the show because I'd probably be eliminated in the "Spitting Watermelon Seeds in the Mason Jar Challenge" in the first round! I mean, that's a type of "marksmanship", right???

The way the show is set up, it is easy to see that high level shooting skills are pretty specific to what weapon you train with and many of the contestants end up looking little better in ability than the people watching the show because they keep getting put in awkward situations where they have average-at-best skills.

I'd much rather watch Todd Jarrett wring out a 1911 than most of the yokels on YouTube shooting their Hi Points for the first time!

Unfortunately, TOP SHOT ends up only giving us the yokel show (I point to the billiard ball challenge where it took the teams twelve minutes and twenty three minutes, respectively, to hit eight billiard balls!!!). If all of the contestants had been using their favorite gun, they would know the sights, know the point of aim/ point of impact, and could show their top potential against the other contestants' top potentials!

Just my thoughts. If you disagree, you're probably used to being wrong in other areas of your life as well.

Just kidding!!!!

Vanguard.45

If it was called Top USPSA Shot I could see your point.

I love seeing braggarts who's only expertise is one weapon, at one distance, shooting at one target, in the sunshine... get kicked to the curb by people who can really shoot. I love it even more when they cry about it, "If only I had my Glock, the sun was shining and it was 21 feet away... wahaaaa". ROTFL:rockwoot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If it was called Top USPSA Shot I could see your point.

I love seeing braggarts who's only expertise is one weapon, at one distance, shooting at one target, in the sunshine... get kicked to the curb by people who can really shoot. I love it even more when they cry about it, "If only I had my Glock, the sun was shining and it was 21 feet away... wahaaaa". ROTFL:rockwoot:

Come on down and join us at Silver Creek on Sunday Jack!
    You know you want to come down to kick us to the curb and show us how to really shoot.;)
    I'll spring for your match fee.

Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm just saying. . .

it's not that exciting watching people who have INCREDIBLE skills in one discipline be forced to do things they are NOT incredible at week after week.

It would be like having a NASCAR Challenge show where professional NASCAR drivers are forced to compete on tricycles, unicycles, and motorcycles.

I want to see who, doing things to their utmost potential, are competing against others at that same level with their own tools of the trade.

As it is, you have only ONE "TOP SHOT" competitor out of 16 who could even hit a bullseye at 200 yards??? And it took the teams twelve and twenty four minutes each to hit eight billiard balls apiece.

I guess I want to see extraordinary shooters doing extraordinary things and see how their extraordinary achievements stack up against one another.

Top Bottom