• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not a 1911 guy myself, but the Platypus I handled recently was just as you mentioned. Very nice action and eliminates some of the consumable costs of high $$ 2011 mags. I didn't get to shoot it, so can't speak to how it runs, but as I understand based on your posts, it runs well.

If you are buying a 2011 and the costs of magazines gives you pause that’s your hint to not buy a 2011 :abused: , nice all steel magazines aren’t cheap, a 2011 mag is as expensive as an MP5 magazine

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you are buying a 2011 and the costs of magazines gives you pause that’s your hint to not buy a 2011 :abused: , nice all steel magazines aren’t cheap, a 2011 mag is as expensive as an MP5 magazine
    Magazines are consumables. I can buy/afford any gun I want, but still would rather spend $20 on durable mags vs $100 on a mag that may get stepped on, etc.

Especially when I want to have a ton of mags.

That said, I haven't shot the Platty myself but will take @NHT3 's word that his runs very well...

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Magazines are consumables. I can buy any gun I want, but still would rather spend $20 on durable mags vs $100 on a mag that may get stepped on, etc.

That said, I haven't shot the Platty myself but will take @NHT3 's word that his runs very well...
    I'm between you guys, I buy factory or better magazines, and they are still consumables.

keeph8n

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    The prodigy Duramags are really reliable in my experience and only get better if you swap to Atlas or Grams Engineering internals. Still puts you half the cost of an Atlas Premium or MBX magazine.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Magazines are consumables. I can buy any gun I want, but still would rather spend $20 on durable mags vs $100 on a mag that may get stepped on, etc.

Legitimate question for the other 2011 shooters but has anyone actually broken a magazine? I have beat the hell out of mine over the last 5 years and just swap out the internals. Never really considered magazines a consumable, good metal magazines are durable items IMHO

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Legitimate question for the other 2011 shooters but has anyone actually broken a magazine? I have beat the hell out of mine over the last 5 years and just swap out the internals. Never really considered magazines a consumable, good metal magazines are durable items IMHO

Not a 2011 shooter. Glock, 1911, Walther. Anything from plastic to metal. Only magazines I have ever broken were ProMags for an M&P pistol. Otherwise I have never had a magazine break or even wear out. I have replaced the guts in some Wilson 1911 mags and I keep some rebuild kits in a drawer. Magazines are consumables but not that consumable. If you can afford the ammo to wear out a gun, the springs or the magazines the the cost of said gun, springs or magazines is rather insignificant.

Now if you are a Glock guy and want to share magazines that is another discussion. Personally I am not interested in adding another magazine to my inventory so something that accepts Glock mags makes sense.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What about 70 series Gold Cups.
    A CZ AO1 LD in 9mm $2.300 bucks out of there custom shop. I'm very impressed with what you get for the money..
    1000001862.jpg

How about $1,000 dollar Kimbers for starters?
    I'm not a huge Kimber guy, but you get a great starter for the money

1000001855.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Rafferty Custom guns is a local builder and he has a good reputation. On INGO but not sure under what name. I just know he has been at the INGO shoots with some of his toys.

A great guy too.
    Yep Pat is a great guy!

He has a website with contact info.

Top Bottom