• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    EDIT: This was meant for the Long rifle sub forum, you can move it if necessary.

Hey guys, I have an idea, but I need opinions first. I'm looking to get a general consensus of some of the best and worst AR-15's. I was thinking about making a top 1 to 20 or so word file containing different AR brands, with their pros and cons. It would look something like this.

1. Daniel Defense
    A. Pros
    B. Cons

2. Sig Sauer
    A. Pros
    B. Cons

The problem is, I'm not an AR owner, and know nothing about these. I fell like this could help TONS of potential AR purchasers, myself included. To save people time, if you just wanted to do the top 5 brands, and the top 5 worst bands IYO. Pros and Cons in all.

If you guys think this could be a good idea, just post your opinions in here, I'll see if I can't throw something together!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Didn't we have this arguement six months ago? :draw:

I remember because when I pointed out that Armalite and Windham are hands down the best black rifles ~ever~ a lot of people got butthurt when they realized I was right... :D

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    google "M4 The Chart"

it will give a break down of all the pro's and con's of each part of a rifle by brand. it was created by RobS and is very useful.

price does NOT equal quality in the AR world.

Colt is the standard with everythign being judged against it. Avoid Olympic, DPMS and other "fly by night" brands.

Daniel Defense, VLTOR, Spikes, Aero Precision, Stag, BCM among others are all top quality rifles that are much lower in cost than POF (very heavy platform), LWRC, Noveske etc. not knocking those mfg's in any way, just too expensive for what most will do with an AR.

bottom line, it's your money and your rifle. do with it what you will. also, keep in mind that in the AR world, EVERYONE has an opinion and their's is the only one that matters! hahaha

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Bushmaster should be right under Colt so 7-8? Nothing but good things with the patrolman M4....

watch out for the Bushmasters from the middle 2000's i think it was???

there were a few years that quality control took a dive when rumors of Bushmaster closing or being sold off were around. There were issues with barrels and front sights among others. lots of FTF and FTE issues.

Last edited:

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Oh, one other thing, the i found the Sig Sauer to be heavy, VERY heavy! (probably due to it being a piston system, no real advantage over DI system to date)

a normal AR should weigh in the 7-8 lbs range. from memory, the Sig i'd say was 9+ lbs range. 1 lbs on an AR makes a HUGE difference. adding an ACOG (17oz or, 1lbs 1oz) to one of my rifles felt like it doubled the weight of the entire rifle.

Last edited:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    google "M4 The Chart"

it will give a break down of all the pro's and con's of each part of a rifle by brand. it was created by RobS and is very useful.

price does NOT equal quality in the AR world.

Colt is the standard with everythign being judged against it. Avoid Olympic, DPMS and other "fly by night" brands.

Daniel Defense, VLTOR, Spikes, Aero Precision, Stag, BCM among others are all top quality rifles that are much lower in cost than POF (very heavy platform), LWRC, Noveske etc. not knocking those mfg's in any way, just too expensive for what most will do with an AR.

bottom line, it's your money and your rifle. do with it what you will. also, keep in mind that in the AR world, EVERYONE has an opinion and their's is the only one that matters! hahaha

You called Olympic Arms a "fly by night" brand. They have been making AR's since 1982. 31 years is a long time for a "fly by night" brand.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Windham Weaponry was created by the employees that once made Bushmaster a force to be reckoned with.
    I read that after he sold bushmaster ,the owner retired,bushmasters used to be made in Maine but the new corparation moved operations to NewYork so the guy came out of retirement an started a company to get the old Maine employees working again.

Last edited:

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    You called Olympic Arms a "fly by night" brand. They have been making AR's since 1982. 31 years is a long time for a "fly by night" brand.

and still junk.......

i know talking about AR's will get people riled up but, on these two brands, a HIGH percentage of people can and will agree that they are one of, if not the lowest quality AR's on the market.

Foxxwoof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Battle Ground
    I assume you are referring to this chart. It's a little outdated as some of the info is now inaccurate. For instance.. I have a CMMG upper and the bolt carrier group is shot peened, MP tested, has the black extractor insert, and is properly staked. And while mine doesn't have it, it was an option and the new ones all come with a M16 BCG.

M4Chart1.gif

Top Bottom