• gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    natural help for allergies

Definitely, know your drugs and side effects.:yesway:

I have nasal allergies and some drug allergies. I use flonase daily. I can get away with just that, but stock antihistamines, cromolyn, and decongestants for when I run out of the inhaler. Am investigating herbal remedies, but have to be careful due to my allergies.

I tend to lean more toward prevention; vitamins, mineral supplements etc.
    Obviously things happen and that is not the only way to prepare. I would suggest the use of pre and probiotics. Many antibiotics cause diarrhea, which is debilitating as well as down right miserable.

I have always kept cortizone creams, poison ivy washes, and antibiotic eye drops and creams on hand.

Good thread. Keep it going!:twocents:

I use natural citrus bioflavonoids 2X 1,000mg tablets every 4 hours or as needed for allergy symptoms. Quercetin is also good for allergies. I am allergic to a lot of things & bioflavonoids have freed me from regular use of prescription & OTC allergy meds. When my allergies are real bad I will sometimes take the bioflavonoids & OTC sinus cold & flu tabs.

Vitamin C: Natural Citrus Bioflavonoids 1000 mg

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    The issue I see with this is also getting a pharmacy to fill them. Not a large selection where I live.

Well here is what I was thinking. If doc would agree to write 2 or 3 scripts which would be completely legal as far as I know ( she will write mine for a year at a time now ) you could get them filled for a 3 months supply at say 3 different pharmacies. This would give you and instant 9 month suppy that could be refilled every 3 months for a year. The only problem i see is my meds have a shelf life of 1 year so monthly rotation would be a must ( although I have used them well past the expiration and they still work just fine I think they just lose a little potency ) . The meds I take are not a controlled substance so i would see no problem with this, if anyone sees a problem with this or knows differently please say so. I would think Doc would know and tell me if so or refuse if it were a problem. The only isssue I see would be the initial bulk purchase of 9 months supply.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Well here is what I was thinking. If doc would agree to write 2 or 3 scripts which would be completely legal as far as I know ( she will write mine for a year at a time now ) you could get them filled for a 3 months supply at say 3 different pharmacies. This would give you and instant 9 month suppy that could be refilled every 3 months for a year. The only problem i see is my meds have a shelf life of 1 year so monthly rotation would be a must ( although I have used them well past the expiration and they still work just fine I think they just lose a little potency ) . The meds I take are not a controlled substance so i would see no problem with this, if anyone sees a problem with this or knows differently please say so. I would think Doc would know and tell me if so or refuse if it were a problem. The only isssue I see would be the initial bulk purchase of 9 months supply.

Your insurance company would catch that in a heartbeat. I don't see it working, but that's just my opinion.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    can you buy these meds online without a precription?

See my earlier post. There is no restriction on importing prescription medications from overseas other than schedule drugs. You can't buy addictive mind altering pharmaceuticals.

Again: AllDayChemist - Prescription drugs, Generic medicines, online indian Pharmacy

If they have it for export it is legal for you to order and receive it. It might get delayed in transit especially when it hits customs but that is usually a minor delay. I purchase Vet. medications and they are cheaper than Walmart on a broad selection and shipping is less than the Vet visit charge.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I understand, and you are absolutely right, but in a SHTF scenario you might have to take what you can get.

Not much sense if it won't pass out of the gut and will only effect urinary infections. Or it won't cross the blood brain barrier.

Your best "survival" antibiotics will always be the sulpha based compounds. Care does need to be taken as a rare group of people are allergic to sulpha compounds.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    See my earlier post. There is no restriction on importing prescription medications from overseas other than schedule drugs. You can't buy addictive mind altering pharmaceuticals.

Again: AllDayChemist - Prescription drugs, Generic medicines, online indian Pharmacy

If they have it for export it is legal for you to order and receive it. It might get delayed in transit especially when it hits customs but that is usually a minor delay. I purchase Vet. medications and they are cheaper than Walmart on a broad selection and shipping is less than the Vet visit charge.

I haven't used ADC for RX's but have ordered from them before and I know a few others who have. It's a good site.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If you need medicine, I would try getting a skin infection and going to a dermatologist. If you need help with that, join the wrestling team.

Dermatologists will pretty much write you a script for whatever they feel like is wrong with you. In my experience, they do alot of guess work. So you may end up with 2-3 different prescriptions

I have 2 types of antibiotics from my derm, doxy and an antibiotic lotion.
    I'm pretty sure the lotion will come in handy for any cuts/scrapes/abrasions

I've also got prescription anti-itch steroid creams. Probably will work great against poison ivy or the likes. But I'm not allergic to it so I wouldn't know.

And here's the funny part;
    When you have a skin illness, you probably end up using like 1/8 of the tube that they give you. They literally give me 3-4 tubes of this antibiotic stuff to treat 1 illness (granted, it was a pretty nasty illness, but it went away without even needing the cream)

Dermatologists are probably one of the easiest legal ways to get useful SHTF medicines. However they aren't going to be giving to any pain meds.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I was talking about paying cash not insurance. ;)

That might work. Just be sure it's a pharmacy you haven't used before, and don't give them your insurance info at all. If they do see that you've filled the same script else where because of your insurance, then most pharmacists would not fill the prescription for you. I'd check into the legality first though, just to be on the safe side.

Not much sense if it won't pass out of the gut and will only effect urinary infections. Or it won't cross the blood brain barrier.

Your best "survival" antibiotics will always be the sulpha based compounds. Care does need to be taken as a rare group of people are allergic to sulpha compounds.

*sulfa :D

But I originally meant to get antibiotics, plural, of any kind. I should have made that more clear. However, options in a disaster scenario could be limited, and you want to have whatever you can get if you should need it.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I didn't take the time to read much further than the OP, but I am just going to throw my two cents in.

First let me stress that you must be aware of everyone's allergies and plan accordingly.

Know any children's weights and keep track of their proper dosages.

Know how pills will react if crushed or broken. If you run out of a children's medicine and need to administer an adult pill in a segmented dose, knowing this could be life or death.

Definitely some antibiotics. Different ones treat different things, so know which ones are better for what, and have a few.
    Definitely Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen (because they can be administered in tandem and cover a wide range of symptoms)
    Definitely Aspirin.
    Definitely some heavy duty hydrocodone based prescription pain killers like Vicodin, Lorcet, etc.
    Definitely cold medicines (day and night formula)
    Definitely anti-histamines (Benadryl/Diphenhydramine , Claritin/Loratadine )

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    natural antibiotics

I understand, and you are absolutely right, but in a SHTF scenario you might have to take what you can get.

This is where natural antibacterial, anti-fungal or antiviral remedies come in handy. Someone above has already mentioned oil of oregano, this would be good to have because it can be used internally to fight off infections and parasites as well as externally for skin and fungal infections. I've always diluted it with extra-virgin olive oil.

How to Use Oregano Oil | eHow.com

I use tea tree oil when the monster mosquitoes get me or if I get a cut that starts getting infected. It can be used externally for about everything. I usually buy it when Meijer has all of their supplements BYGO free.

Tea Tree Oil Uses

Whenever I feel like I am starting to catch something I usually mix an Emergen-C packet in a little warm water or OJ & take one once or twice a day until I feel better. It has high doses of Vitamin B & C.

There are so many possible natural remedies that it is best to research and try them and see what works for you.

The biggest thing to remember with essential oils (external use only) and medical grade (internal use) oils is that they are extremely concentrated and most need to be diluted or they can cause skin irritation and stomach upset. Some are strictly for externally use & can be toxic if ingested. You need to make sure you know what you have and how it is to be used.

Last time I got a shipment of herbs from Iherb.com I used address labels to print out what each herb was and its uses. I put the labels on the bags. This makes it easier to locate an herb for a particular purpose.

Shirleys Wellness cafe has a lot of useful information and links on natural healing.

Natural Treatments for Infectious Diseases

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Speaking of children and babies, what about diapers and baby food? Might be a good idea to put some of those away, too.

All you need is some of grandpas cough syrup

Highland_Park_Single_Malt_Whisky_12_years_old.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Speaking of essential oils and the like, my wife got hooked on essential oils by her mom and aunt, and she is now selling Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils which is are the most pure and highly concentrated you can get. There is a book out there that covers all sorts of illnesses etc and recommends oils to take.... granted, oils aren't a complete replacement for modern medicines but they do help. I can get more info if anybody is interested in the oils or the book...

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Want to research a cheap off patent med that has no toxicity and little to no side effects? It will normalize your immune system, has been shown to halt MS progression, cure Crohn's, aid in the treatment and remission of cancers and HIV/AIDS. I have taken it for over a year and had no colds, flu, sinus infections respiratory infections etc.

No golden bullet or "miracle cure". Corpo Medicine and Big Pharma despise this medication because it can devastate their bottom line.

Google "Low Dose Naltrexone", it could literally save your life or one you love and at the least drastically reduce suffering.

There is a ton of information out there on LDN but I would suggest :

The Low Dose Naltrexone Homepage as a starting point.

Top Bottom