• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    Check out the Stainless one Sam's Club carries. I bought mine as a cheaper work box several years ago. I needed something right then and there, and did not have the cash for a good commercial box. I would definitely buy a second one. SS exterior, roller slides for the drawers and pretty decent casters. It has survived 5 years in a factory. It would last a lifetime in a garage...

This is what I did as well. $699.00 and it will last me forever in the garage!

toolchest.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think the larger Craftsmans do well with A LOT of weigt in them... I have seen some guys install angle iron on the bottom to fix this problem.... I thik it all comes down to the thinner steel that they use. On the better ones you can pull a drawer out some and sit on it no problem..... on the Craftsman I would never be brave enough to try.

I have seen the Koblat ones at Lowes and they are pretty nice honestly.

On the scratch and dent I knew a guy that saw one at sears that had a descent dent on it on the top.... Manager told him to come back in two weeks and if they still had it they would give it to him for like half off....... sure enough two weeks later it was still their and the sold it to him for the agreed price.... It would be a pain to put a top box on it though.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I would look for a used Mac or Snap-on on Ebay or Craigslist as a retired professional I still have my Snap-on If you want new go with Craftsman like one other poster said they are made by Waterloo. that was the first box I started out with and it held up well until I outgrew it and could afford better

King Matthew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Tipton
    I use Craftsman. I do not have the ball bearing drawers, never have any problems. The farm toolbox is a Craftsman also, non ball bearing, it is 30 years old. Still works great, just oil the slides every once in a while.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have two Craftsman, one 33', one 40'. The small one is a Pro series I've had for about 25 years. The other one is is one of the Grip Latch with the ball bearing slides. Had it for about five years now. Never had a problem with either one. IMHO they are plenty solid for home use. You could get a better cabinet for more money but I don't think that you'll see the difference for home use.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    As a technician, I got the biggest snap-on box there was, heavy gauge, great lock, roller bearing drawers.
    They are expensive though, look on Craigslist and visit a few pawn shops you'll find one if you look hard enough

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for the lead. Looks like I missed out on that one. :dunno:

"This posting has been flagged for removal"

"huge 6 ft tall and 6 ft wide snapon tool box with stainless top and matching hutch best deal on a box like this u will get cost over 14000.00 new on trc box is new no scratchs dents or dings used in personal garage box is in perfdect condition my loss your gain posiable partial trade 4 smaller box and cash. asking 4000.00 obo call 317.313.9950"

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Baker's Corner? Is that near Cicero? Do you have a name of the store or maybe some other business that's near it? Thanks.

Bakers Corner is just west of 236th and US 31.

I don't know the name of the business.

Go to google maps type in Bakers Corner, Indiana.

Where the "a" shows up (236th and Dunbar Rd.) it is the building in the southeast corner.

I could be wrong on exact building on the map.

But the place is on a southeast corner in BC.

Local coop I work for part time, recently bought a tool box from them.

If I can get anymore info on them I will post it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a kennedy and love it but if you are wanting a box for the garage then Craftsmen sells a lot of inexpensive models...the red boxes seem to be the most cost efficient. Also, sometimes you can find a good setup at a garage sale if you look.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I went out again (just to look, really) to check some of the different models. I wasn't sold on the Craftsman, the Snap On tool chests are nice, but really pricey. I could spend that extra money on more ammo. :D

Then I looked at the Kobalt again. The construction was decent enough for my non-professional use, and seemed to be heavier than the Craftsman at a comparable price......actually....on sale.

So I dropped the hammer on a Kobalt and after setting it up and transferring all of my tools to it, I'm happy with the purchase.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!! People mentioning some of the problems they ran into helped a lot too.

picture.php

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I know I am posting a little late for you, but when it comes to a box, you really need to evaluate you need and your future needs. *If I were doing it all over again I would have started with a "Service cart" from cornwell those things are massive and once you out grow it and move to a roll cab, you have a really nice day cart. *

Space vanishes in a tool box, what is massive today is tiny tomarrow. So you really have to think ahead. *If you are putting the thing in your home garage then you can add cool stuff like cabinets and shelves to hold your cased power tools , but in a shop you are usually not so lucky. *

When it comes to the consumer grade boxes, I would almost always go stainless. *craftsman and kobalt spray coat their boxes, *where snap on dips them. *That doesn't seem like a big deal until your box starts rusting from the inside out. *If you have a climate controlled garage then that isn't a big deal, but if your SO has the habit of leaving the garage door open then go stainless. *

Mechanics will talk about resale value on a box, but if this is for home use, don't worry about it. *Pros trade and sell boxes because we are suckers and the snapon guy is worse than a crack dealer. *

Top Bottom