• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Missus JB has expressed interest in shooting since we started dating and I told her, very matter-of-factly, that I was an advocate for individual ownership of firearms and the safe, responsible use thereof.

The seeds of interest probably started before that, as her father is an avid hunter and took her into the woods often, going after rabbits or birds or other such game. She helped gut a deer at age 10, and would be rewarded for going hunting with an ice cream cone and a hushed "Don't tell your sister..."

Being a woman possessed of great measures of common sense, Missus JB hasn't touched a single firearm of mine before yesterday, because "I don't know how to do so safely yet, so I'll just leave them alone until I learn how."

That day was yesterday.

We had a nice enough day for Indiana in February. Temps near 44, skies that were partly cloudy, not much breeze blowing. I grabbed the Glock 19, the Taurus PT 709 Slim that one of my closest friends gave Missus as a wedding gift, and my old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 in .22LR that my dad gave to me. One ammo can with three boxes of 9mm FMJ and a box of bulk .22, a pack of targets and the staple gun, and an extra set of ear protection... "Let's do this!"

A quick drive to our local range, and we were pleased to find the place empty. Shooting on a Monday morning when everyone else is at work doesn't suck! I set up the Marlin, and sent 8 rounds down range to get a quick sighting of the scope. It's not dead on, and I'd dial it in better if I were out to slay rabbits, but for our purposes that day, it was "close enough."

We'd covered the basics of safety a couple times during the drive, and she knows Jeff Cooper's Four Rules, although she sometimes mixes up the order (Rule 2 and 3, specifically.) I explained "Cold Range" and "Hot Range" and what she should do if she hears either.

At any rate, once the scope was "close enough", I set her up on the bench, sand bag rests for the gun, showed the mechanics of the safety, how to hold the rifle, etc.

"OK, honey, you're all set... Nice and gentle on the trigger press, breathe slow and easy, don't worry about where you hit the target, just relax and enjoy the experience...."

"POW!"

FirstRound_zpsce027cbd.jpg

That's her first ever shot from a gun, 2 O'Clock, in the 9 Ring.

Yeah, THAT'S my wife. Go ahead and be jealous, fellas.

After a handful of rounds through the 22, she was ready to try out a pistol, so I took her to the 7 yard range, hung another target, and we discussed the differences between pistol and rifle, with extra details about the size of the round, the increased sound, the kick of the gun, and the basics of grip and sight picture.

She wasn't a fan of my Glock. I think that's a combination of being her first time and it being a slightly larger pistol than she would comfortably hold -- at least for now -- but she was a sport and tried it. Then we brought out her Taurus PT 709 Slim in 9mm, the wedding gift from my pal mentioned above, and she instantly remarked "This is more comfortable to hold!"

I'll be sending her to a professional instructor when we can find a class that is close to home, on a day that she has off, and when the Spawn are with their other biological parent.

Today wasn't about perfecting the grip, or the stance, or anything else. Those are topics for another day, and a better instructor.

Today was about empowering a woman to be comfortable shooting a gun. More than that, however, today was a day to enjoy watching my wife smile.

And smile she did.

She sent a handful of rounds down range, until her hands were sore enough to call it a day.

Pistol_zpse3bbeb9f.jpg

Yep, that's her first target with the Taurus. It currently resides on the wall in the garage, next to the door to the kitchen. I'm of a mind to post a sign next to it: "This is what Momma Bear can do her first day... You'd do well to bring her daughter home before 10."

We wrapped up the range time, swept up our brass, pulled the targets down, and headed for home, stopping along the way for a light lunch and a cold beer.

Got home, and she was on her phone to her father: "Daddy, you won't believe what I did today...!"

That's a solid day well spent.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    We had a nice enough day for Indiana in February. Temps near 44, skies that were partly cloudy, not much breeze blowing. I grabbed the Glock 19, the Taurus PT 709 Slim that one of my closest friends gave Missus as a wedding gift, and my old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 in .22LR that my dad gave to me. One ammo can with three boxes of 9mm FMJ and a box of bulk .22, a pack of targets and the staple gun, and an extra set of ear protection... "Let's do this!"

Staple gun!

That's something I need to get and add to my range bag. I'm trying to get everything together so that I don't feel like such a babe in woods the next time I'm at the range. It's slowly getting better, but I know I felt like an idiot the first time I visited a range.

Thanks for adding to my list. :ingo:

I love accidental learning.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Staple gun!

That's something I need to get and add to my range bag. I'm trying to get everything together so that I don't feel like such a babe in woods the next time I'm at the range. It's slowly getting better, but I know I felt like an idiot the first time I visited a range.

Thanks for adding to my list. :ingo:

I love accidental learning.

It's a high capacity assault staple gun, with one of those shoulder things that go up.

Best you buy one now, before the gubbermint bans them. :D :laugh:

cwilly66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm anxiously awaiting the day my wife decides she's ready to learn to handle and use a firearm. That will be a great day!! :rockwoot:My 13 year old daughter, on the other hand, has her own .22 rifle (starter model - Mossberg 702 Plinkster - camo). I've taken her shooting a few times and she did surprisingly well (proud papa!). It's vitally important that the shooting sports, and the lessons that come with it, get passed through and down the entire family.

Thanks for the great post!!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    More and more women are taking up shooting and finding the enjoyment in it, and more and more women are getting whatever training they feel appropriate, getting their LTCH, and carrying a sidearm for the defense of themselves and their loved ones.

This can't be anything BUT a good thing, IMO.

IMO, women have a bit of a 'tactical advantage', as well. Particularly when that lady is out with their 'man'. Why? Because the scumbag doesn't, typically, perceive the lady to be 'as much' of a threat, hence the BG will often tend to focus his attention on the guy. Dumb mistake, LOL...

Hopefully, 'some day', scumbags will be scared to accost ANY person, fearing that person might be armed and ready because "EVERY damned great-grandma got a gun!"

C'mon, I can hope, can't I?

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    I have taken my girlfriend shooting a couple time and she enjoys it. I started her out on a 22 revolver and worked her up to my 357 (her favorite). She dont care for the shotgun but will plink around with the rifle once in awhile. I really want to send her to a safe handling/ firearms class when i can find one close. She also asked about getting her permit to carry.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Today, she took the AR for a spin for the first time. Mind you, she's been shooting three times total, including today.

Until now, it was .22LR and a 9mm pistol.

But she sure likes that AR, boy howdy.

480899_10151452636540369_18543737_n_zps3b5c25ee.jpg

(And yes, we're still working on trigger discipline. I mentioned it to her, and she knows. No comments on that, please.)

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    congrats guys. sounds like you got a keeper. sharing times outdoors with the wife is always fun for me. whether, shootin, huntin, or fishin, my wife is also my buddy in the field. I do still like guy time, just not all the time. something youll enjoy together, always.

Top Bottom