Took advantage of the nice day and did some shooting today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Dad and I got out for a couple hours today to take advantage of the very nice weather.

We had several objectives;

1. Try out a new way of hanging our Steel Targets (purchased from fellow Ingo Members :yesway:).
    2. Make sure my Yugo SKS was dialed in for the SKS shoot next weekend
    3. Put a few rounds down range with the M1 Garand I picked up yesterday from Glennster.
    We successfully completed all 3 objectives, and of course had a blast (pardon the pun) doing it. I used some small zinc plated chain from Home Depot to hang the steel targets. Previously I had been using some mason's twine, as it was all I had on hand. It quickly shredded from the bullet splatter. The chain of course held up much better.

I got my SKS dialed in at 100yds, getting repeated hits on the 12"x12" steel gong we had at that range. I managed to also score a few hits on the 200, but not reliably.

I had primarily been shooting some 123Gr Golden Tiger FMJ. Before we left, I shot up a few loose rounds that were rattling around in my range box. Evidently at least one was a steel core round, as I found this just below the target when I was tearing down. The blue / purple color is very interesting, and shows the intense heat that took place during the split second the round was impacting the target.

0307101827.jpg

0307101828.jpg

Finally, the M1 lived up to its reputation for being "the greatest battle implement ever devised." I wanted to see if it was still sighted in from its previous life, and evidently it was. I put the elevation knob on "2" and aimed a bit low on the 100yd gong. A resounding "DONG" let me know it was still on target.

I gave it a whirl at the 200 yd gong. I might add that a 12" circle is tough to see at that range, even when painted day-glo orange. I was able to get about 50% of the rounds on target shooting from a basic rest.

Here's a video of the 3rd en bloc clip I ran through her. 2 hits on the 100yd, and 3 of 6 on the 200. The last one is my favorite. If you listen, you can here the "ping" of the clip ejecting followed by another "ding" of the round hitting the target.

March 7th 2010 :: 0307101636.flv video by jblomenberg16 - Photobucket

Dad also got in on the action, hitting the 200yd target several times. Here he is with his M91/30:

March 7th 2010 :: 0307101621a.flv video by jblomenberg16 - Photobucket

Another objective completed is that I learned how to use the video camera function on my new cell phone. :yesway:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    man i wish i went shooting, i thought about it as soon as i walked out this morning. Nothing better than shooting with dad, unless you are dad....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like you had fun, was that you in the video?

That was me shooting the M1.

man i wish i went shooting, i thought about it as soon as i walked out this morning. Nothing better than shooting with dad, unless you are dad....

I am dad, but in the videos I am son. My daughter isn't quite old enough to get out and shoot yet, but will be soon.

Dad and I have a lot of fun shooting together. We've enjoyed collecting a variety of guns, including several WWII pieces. The M1 is my latest contribution to the collection.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I just back from the range with Tinman. We got a few drills in with our AR's and some transitions to pistol.

Great day to be at the range!

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    OP, no disrespect intended, i only meant your father probably enjoyed it more than you could ever know. I am a young father also, unfortunately my father and i stopped shooting 5 years ago after his stroke and he always tells me how much he misses shooting with his son, wish i could turn back time. Soon after i had my first of 2 girls, lol, i'm sure one of them will like shooting as much as i do.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad you were finally able to get the steel out. Everything go as expected?

Targets worked great! They took a lot of hits today from the M1, the M91/30, my AR, a couple of SKS's, and dad's new to him Marlin 30-30. Couldn't be happier!

At some point I might try to get a bigger one made though for out past 200. 12x12 really tests my eyes in trying to sight through regular irons.

Loony1...no disrespect taken at all. I see what you mean, and yep, I think dad had a great time. We had several high - fives while shooting, and one of those really nice firm father/son hand shakes when we wrapped things up for the day.

Hopefully one day I'll have a son to shoot with, but if not...my daughter is gonna have to learn! :D

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I shot both days this weekend, it was too nice not to go out. My son who is 5 wanted to shoot the 10/22 so we shot up about 200 rounds yesterday. Saturday the father in law and I shot the .45's.

Top Bottom