• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Got board today so I decided I'd play with some pillar bedding on my Savage .22 BTVS. One of the shortcomings of this rifle is that it's made with weak wood - and when the action screws are tightened to any real torque, it wears on the wood. This is odd as the pillars are already there - just not situated correctly. Strange.

Figured I'd put metal between the action screws and the action.

I didn't have a bedding kit, so I figured I'd jut find what I needed at a local box store tending toward sporting goods and hardware - Big R.

To make sure I'd get what I needed, I pulled the barreled action and took the stock in with me.

I was greeted with wide eyed stares from the counter girls. One asked if I was taking it back to Gary (Gary is the gun counter manager, and former owner of a local gunstore). I told them I might stop by to say "hello", but I really needed some metal to complete the bedding and not to worry, it's a just a piece of wood.

I went back to say "Hey" to Gary. There was a big crowd so I didn't hang around; just started going about my business.

As I was walking away, I heard the phone ring.

Gary picked it up and said, "Who, the guy with the rifle?... Yeah, he's back here... yep, it's loaded... no, looks like he might start shooting people at any minute."

Of course the people around the gun counter are rolling in the isles, and I joined 'em.

Then I hear, "No, don't do that! Ma'am, it doesn't even have a barrel on it!"

Badda bing!

So I got to meet the manager while I was looking for the threaded conduit I needed, and Gary was right with her. Gary was interested in what I was up to this time (Gary has a habit of grabbing me if there's a gun question and I'm in the store - we get along great). The manager was still a bit nervous. I asked her if she was freaking out, and she said no, but she almost passed out.

I told her that, you know, it's just a piece of wood. But if I had chosen to carry around a loaded rifle, it's totally allowed in Indiana. No permit required for that.

She said that Big R policy states that there are to be no loaded guns in the store.

Gary chimed in with "You realize that we have people come in all the time wearing loaded pistols on their hips..."

The nice manager agreed this was true... and she seemed a bit embarrassed at this point.

I reassured her, told Gary what I was doing since he was so curious, and went about my business.

At the check out the girl (a cutie, I might add) asked if everything was OK. I told her yep, except the piece of wood I was carrying caused a bit of alarm. Then I leaned in and whispered, "It can only fire if there is metal on it!" She just chuckled.

Overall, a good, entertaining experience. Gary being his ornery self, me going along with it, and found stuff I could use to finish the half-done pillar job that the factory started.

:cool::cool::cool:

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I "wood" like to see pics of the progress you make and a full range report. I just bought a Mark II BTVS in Left..... Scope Pending.

Eh, if you're lucky :D Nothing much to it really. I had time to finish it up tonight, torque it to 55 in-lbs, and set it on the dining room table.

Gotta work tomorrow and Tuesday, but Wed/Thu I have off.

Hell, with this new reduced PPD, I might be able to get to it even sooner.

Josh

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    in case your interested the marion store is having its "grand opening this coming saturday and sunday. just sayin.
    :ingo:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It would appear to me that you generated an amazing amount of drama for something that 15 seconds worth of measuring beforehand would have completely avoided.

To each their own.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It would appear to me that you generated an amazing amount of drama for something that 15 seconds worth of measuring beforehand would have completely avoided.

To each their own.

Wow. Nope, not when it involves having to drill out holes and figure out how to do the whole thing.

So you're saying I was wrong for taking a piece of wood into the store? With the action and barrel out to keep drama from happening?

Josh

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    We call that "indecent exposure" here in the big city. =P :rockwoot:

Out here in da country(i actually live in a town...), we get busted for brandishing wood all the time.

And i know what the OP means, sometimes you just have to have it(the stock, in this case) there in front of you to stare at and try to figure out what you need, or what you can do with what the store has.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom