• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    so, i stumbled upon a pretty cool situation the other day. an acquaintance from high school posted "does anyone have a gun? i want to go to the range!" as her Facebook status.... Of course, i replied.

well, she is now a reporter for the FW Journal-Gazette!

turns out, she is doing a new column where she tries something new each week, this time it was shooting!

on the ride to the range (Huntington), we talked a lot about her experience with firearms, and the extent was completely unfavorable. apparently, a friend's ex pointed a 12ga at her leg, and showed her how it would not fire if he had the safety on and squeezed the trigger. :xmad: needless to say, she has been scared of firearms her entire adult life.

after a lot of talking, a lot of fact presentation, and the thorough run-through of the basics of firearms safety, she started shooting. i started her out on a 10/22, and after a couple mags, she was confident, and punching holes like a pro!

we moved up to the Glock 19, LCP, and then to the AK47, which was a little intimidating for her, and probably a poor choice for a first time out, but she wanted the full experience. she even put 3 shells through my Mossy 500 turkey gun!

during the ride home, we talked about her experience and how she felt. she loved it! i think she may become a responsible gun owner herself soon.

it is so difficult to erase the mindset among liberals (and yes, she is) and the like that "guns are evil". i'm pretty sure she 'gets it' now.

i even gave her a copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights from Heritage Foundation when she left.

anyway, i will be sure to post a link to the story when it comes out a week from Monday... thought you all may be interested.

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Thats cool. If we all could do this one time each we may make some headway. Throwing in copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights was also a good move.:rockwoot:Thanks, I do this every chance I get.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    repped. there is nothing like taking a kid or first time shooter out and knowing at the end of the day they are hooked.

you never know someday she could become a polotician who casts the deciding vote on weather to keep our right to bear arms. a few weeks ago her vote could have been ban guns due to her ex boyfriend. now the answer is probably keep guns

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Taking a new person shooting is the best thing any of us can do to preserve the 2A. If taught with care, courtesy and a lack of macho, most newbies will leave with a new way of looking at guns and many go ahead and join the ranks of gun owners shortly thereafter.

It really is the best way to secure the future. Plus, it is just plain fun!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Repped, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that news story.
    Wish we had the opportunity to present the concept of responsible gun ownership to EVERY person in the media! It will only take a few to change some attitudes, to make a HUGE difference!
    Let's just hope her editor is open-minded as well!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    repped! Great job! I wish more people would do this. Sometime this summer, I'm gonna be teaching a couple friends that wanna get a shotgun for HD proper gun safety and how to shoot, along with a friend that lives in MI. She's gonna come down for a weekend or so, she's friend with the others as well, and I'm gonna teach them all at the same time. The good part about it is, the friend in MI use to be scared of guns and not really like them, was kinda scared of me carrying around her. But now she sees how the country is getting in the way of crime and wants to learn. I may also end up teaching a younger cousin of mine that seems to have an interest in guns now, esp WWII guns. So I'm gonna try to help him out, if his mom will let me....

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Outstanding. Great job with starting her with the 22! It let her build up her confidence and technique before moving up to the more powerful stuff. That 22 may have contributed more towards her positive experience than any of the other guns.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Make sure you get your hands on the story that is published and share it here. I'd be really interested to see if she shares her experience as it was told to you on the ride home or if that was just good PR work on her part to keep you happy, than when the piece is published she finds some way to spin it around.

I got an anti gun friend to shoot a few of mine, he thoroughly enjoyed himself or so it seemed while shooting but then later retold the story as "yeah, it's neat but there's no reason whatesoever that a civiliian would need a weapon of that sort" The "weapon of that sort" he was referring to was a 10/22 with black furniture and 30 rd mags.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I'd be really interested to see if she shares her experience as it was told to you on the ride home or if that was just good PR work on her part to keep you happy, than when the piece is published she finds some way to spin it around.

We're waiting with bated breath!

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I've taken a few people out shooting for their first time also. I have never had anyone who didn't like it. I think if more people tried shooting before forming an oppinion on it, there would be a lot fewer anti-gun people.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    always good to hear about a new comer into shooting.my friend and i have gone shooting before and he brought his stepson who is 11 out a couple weeks ago.got him goin on the 10/22.he fell in love with it and is all he ever talks about when i see him.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Hopefully the story is as positive as you think it will be. About the only gun stories I see are robberies and kids shooting themselves.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    It is always a favorable thing to take someone and show them that their fears and misgivings are unreasonable. Between dashman and myself there have been nearly 30 people who either have not shot or loathed the thought of guns taken to a range and given the basics. None of them have been shot and all of them took home a different perspective than what they arrived with.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A little boisterous, but acceptable.
    I DID like the part about hanging the target up in her office to scare her co-workers.
    Something tells me she WILL be firing another gun sometime soon!
    Thanks for the follow-up VT

Top Bottom