• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I hunt with a remington 1100 20 gauge and love it. I have added a hastings barrel with the cantilever scope mount. I have harvested deer at 125 yds. with this gun. Its a great gun that doesn't kick anywhere near my brothers 12 gauge bolt action.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlins 1894c in 357 mag has no real recoil (shout handloads in my 1894 44 mag do have recoil) and if shots were under 75 yards this would be near perfect if no recoil is what is needed. The 44 mag has minor recoil with factory ammo. My 265 grain pill with little gun or h110 will put a little more recoil into the mix of a 6.5 pound gun.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    At this point I'm leaning toward the .44 mag. Marlin, Ruger or Handi-Rifle. My muzzleloader is a NEF Huntsman. The H&R/NEF guns are a LOT of bang for the buck IMO. Thanks sll.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You will have no problems finding a good 44 mag now that deer season is over for the year. Take you time and find a good one.

this is mine.
    DSC03056.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Nice. Is that the marlin 1894c?

The one I pictured is a limited edition 1894 in 44 mag. One of 351 made in 2005.

At 16 1/4 inch barrel it is a real nice gun for deer as I like to still hunt and rarely hit a tree stand after opening weekend,

the 1894c is a blued version with walnut and the 1894css is stainless with walnut. I like the lam wood.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You have a bunch of good suggestions

:yesway:I have always thought that the 12 ga. slug was too much gun in terms of recoil and meat damage. I prefer to use the least that I need. This year I got my deer with a Puma 92 in .357mag. The deer ran about 15 seconds and dropped dead. The recoil reminds me of shooting a .22 magnum and this is with my hot reloads in it. If you want to go really light in recoil, I suggest a .357 mag rifle, the other suggestions are very good also at reducing recoil and giving you great performance in hunting.

Terry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    H&R 12ga. slug gun no doubt. Rifled slugs dead on out to at least 75. Used a buddy's last year and got my first dear from a very small archery stand with no harness (stupid i know). He had a Harris bi-pod and nice scope on it. Very little kick with the heavy barrel. I would have blown myself out of the stand with a light gun.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    At this point I'm leaning toward the .44 mag. Marlin, Ruger or Handi-Rifle. My muzzleloader is a NEF Huntsman. The H&R/NEF guns are a LOT of bang for the buck IMO. Thanks sll.

Hello J4Me, I think you are leaning in the right direction! A 44mag Rifle will do what you are looking for. The 44 will have more energy and do a better job then a .357 but you still have to do your part when you squeeze the trigger! They will both do the job that you want to do though. :yesway:
    Have fun looking for a new toy!!! I mean Rifle! :D

one more

Top Bottom