• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I think I'll probably go with a .44 mag or .357 mag. I'd like to start a list of possible guns and, since I know nothing about them I would like your help.

I'm aware of the Handi-Rifle, the Marlin lever gun and the Ruger, which, I believe is a bolt-action. Any other suggestions welcome.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Ruger has a lever (96/44), bolt (77/44), and a Semi Carbine (Deerfield). That is your line up from ruger, not counting the revolvers, both double and single action, both blued and stainless available. (I have most models listed above, and you're welcome to try any or all).

In lever, you have Marlin, Winchester, Henry, Rossi, Taurus, and a bunch of others that shoot bullets just fine.

Each has different barrels, finishes triggers, accuracy and price. I'm a firm believer that when it comes to firarms, you get what you pay for.

One more tip for you, March and April are great months for buying guns.
    Best of luck.

Merry Christmas.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I bought a .357 Handi-Rifle this year. It shoots quite accurately as far as I can tell, but I haven't shot it at 100 yards, nor have I scoped it. At 50 yards, I can shoot a one-inch group using a red-dot sight. It weighs almost 7 pounds and has almost NO felt recoil, even with the hottest .357's I can find. The .357 picks up some steam in a rifle length barrel, so for shorter deer ranges it should be fine. I won't use it past 75 yards, though.

Most people would probably go with the .44 mag version. I can send the receiver in to H&R and have it fitted with a .44 mag barrel for $90, then switch between them if I like. The .357 is joy to shoot, though. Either can be had for about $239 (what I paid for it at Bradis Guns.)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look for a used 1894 44 mag or 45 even a 357. Look for good fit and finish (something missing on new post remington marlins.) Should be able to get one without the Cross bolt safety for 400 dollars used.

I like a single shot rifle also but a used handi will cost 250 and be worth 150 used and not go up much in price. A used 1894 will cost 400 and be worth 400 in the future. I have seen handi rifles that you could hold by the trigger and they would not go off if you shook your arm. so if you paid 239 plus tax for a handi be prepared to spend 50 more to get a trigger without a 9 pound pull.

The rugers in 44 mag will shoot the larger 300 grain bullets real well which the 1894 will not. it has to do with faster twist rates. Not really a factor until you go for something bigger than a deer.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum? I had the same choice to make and couldn't decide. So I choose both. :D

I would highly recommend a Rossi M92 Puma. These are reproductions of the renowned Winchester 1892 and are built just the way John Moses Browning designed them... Except for the lawyer pleasing safety. The actions of the 1892 are built tank tough, and you can buy Rossi's chambered in the afore mentioned magnums as well as .44-40, .45LC, .454 Casull and .480 Ruger.

My Rossi's are far more accurate than I am and I have shot one hole groups at 50-yards with my .44 Puma.

My suggestion is to go for a .357 magnum version since you can shoot everything from cheap .38 Specials up to the mighty 2153 FPS 158gr Buffalo Bore .357 Magnums. Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition (That is 30-30 level performance from a .357 Magnum!)

My Scoped .44 Magnum and open sight .357 Magnum M92 Pumas:
    oldnewsmall.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Marlin 1894C! Light, no recoil, easy to scope or add peep sights. Don't be afraid of the .357 for deer. Shot one at about 30 yards and it dropped on the spot. Killed it so fast it the bladder was still full. Never seen anything like it. It is all about shot placement.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks all and keep the ideas coming...I'm laid up for a while so I have nothing better to do than research all these cool guns. Right now I'm intrigued by the 1894C. More later.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    have to pick the .357. it doesnt have much recoil and it will do the job if you practice shooting before going in the field. might ask some different gun owners if you can shoot their gun a few times to figure out what you like the best. i personally like the .44 mag but it has some kick too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I like a single shot rifle also but a used handi will cost 250 and be worth 150 used and not go up much in price. A used 1894 will cost 400 and be worth 400 in the future.
    Did you even read what you wrote there?

This forum has a pretty extensive classifieds section where this information is very easily investigated.
    I have seen handi rifles that you could hold by the trigger and they would not go off if you shook your arm. so if you paid 239 plus tax for a handi be prepared to spend 50 more to get a trigger without a 9 pound pull.

I've seen a lot of them but I've never seen one like that unless some moron broke the transfer bar dry firing it to death.

If I did run on to one like you describe, I'd suggest you keep looking and not buy that one. The trigger work on a Handi is pretty simple, I've done a few and the factory will do it for you free if you send one in for additional barrle fittings.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a 357 and 44 Marlin but I always grab the 357 because I handload 110 hollow points and they only drop a couple of inches out to 150yd. They group about the size of a tennis ball at that range also.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I like a single shot rifle also but a used handi will cost 250 and be worth 150 used and not go up much in price. A used 1894 will cost 400 and be worth 400 in the future. I have seen handi rifles that you could hold by the trigger and they would not go off if you shook your arm. so if you paid 239 plus tax for a handi be prepared to spend 50 more to get a trigger without a 9 pound pull.

Mine was $239 NIB, and the trigger pull is no where near 9 pounds. It has virtually no creep, just a steadily increasing pressure on the trigger and then it breaks..."boom." Future (projected) value of a gun is not important to everyone, especially if they tend to keep them rather than sell or trade them. One thing you would have to buy for the Handi is a scope or red dot, if you don't have one to mount, since it doesn't have sites.

There is nothing wrong with the 1894, it is a great gun too.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I like the 44 mag. The farhtest I've shot it was 110 yrds but was able to hit a 6" plate. It wears a 4x32 scope. Got 3 deer with 3 shots. Used 240 gr. JSP ammo and got complete pass thrus. Probably could have seen the blood trails without flashlights in the dark:) Really, was completely impressed and won't go back to a shotgun again.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This was probably said in part one, but I didn't bother to read it... why not get a muzzle loader, you can hunt 2 seasons and get an after market recoil pad. Indygunworks and vette shot for almost 12 hrs straight to dope their scopes with no problems... Nick (IGW) is 145lbs with his fiance on his shoulders, so recoil isn't an issue. And both the above have their rifles doped dead on at 250 and if they really wanted to push a big kill probably would have no problems. HTH

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    This was probably said in part one, but I didn't bother to read it... why not get a muzzle loader, you can hunt 2 seasons and get an after market recoil pad. Indygunworks and vette shot for almost 12 hrs straight to dope their scopes with no problems... Nick (IGW) is 145lbs with his fiance on his shoulders, so recoil isn't an issue. And both the above have their rifles doped dead on at 250 and if they really wanted to push a big kill probably would have no problems. HTH

Yep, I have a muzzleloader. May just use it from now on during the firearms season. On the other hand, I now have a convenient excuse to buy a new gun. :rolleyes:

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I'd have to say that even though the 44 mag has more recoil than a .357, it is still negligible compared to a 12 gauge. At 100yds with my ruger 77/44 and hornady leverevolution, the bullets drops about an inch, haven't shot it further than that though. The 44 mag definitely has much more killing capacity than does the .357.

If I were you i'd do a couple things, first is make a list of the 3 or 4 guns that you like the most and go check them out at a gun shop, hold them, and dry fire them. Because no matter who recommends them the most, you'll have the best idea of which one you like most when you actually have them in hand. That said here are a few I would recommend you check out.

1. Ruger 77/44 (the other Rugers that were mentioned are pretty much out of the question because they haven't been produced for almost 2 decades, therefore are hard to find and very expensive due to rarity)
    2. Marlin 1894 models in 44 mag (I have only heard good things about these rifles (except that the accuracy isn't as good as the Ruger))
    3. Puma 44 mag lever action rifles as well are pretty good.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Gosh, I really, really like both the Ruger 77/44 and the Marlin 1894. Can't decide! Maybe I should get the 77/44 in the stainless/synthetic stock for my primary deer rifle and the 1894c in .357 mag, blued, with wood stock for a "fun gun". As soon as my eye heals up and I can drive again I'm gonna have to start shopping! Thanks again, everyone.

Top Bottom