• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just picked up my new company truck. 2016 F-150 4X4 Super Cab.

I am needing to get a cover for the bed to keep samples and equipment secure and as dry as possible.

I have narrowed the search down to a Undercover Flex tri-fold hard cover. I have had the Leer Shells and one piece Leer tonneau covers in the past but they limit the use of the bed. With a tri-fold system I can fold the unit to get to items easily or it can be removed in just a couple minutes.

Has anybody ever use the Undercover Flex unit?

Undercover Flex Tonneau Covers

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I use Truxedo tonneau covers...but they only do soft roll up ones. I suspect you're looking for something better. I've been VERY happy with Truxedo's customer service.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use Truxedo tonneau covers...but they only do soft roll up ones. I suspect you're looking for something better. I've been VERY happy with Truxedo's customer service.

I am looking for the hard fold locking type. I will have some equipment and tools in the back sometimes that I will want to keep secure.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Can you modify a company truck?

Some of those locks seem pretty easy to disable.
    Would a locking box work better?

The Tonneau cover I have looked at don't require any drilling except for the two drain line for the channels. On the ford they have plastic plugs that get drilled for the drains.

I am mostly just looking to keep honest people honest. The tail gate lock and unlock with the key fob when you unlock the doors. After the tail gate is opened you pull a cable to release the latch to start the first panel to be raised. Each panel has a latch and the front can be removed by loosening to knob screws.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have the Bakflip VP, same concept as the Flex. I've only had it a couple of months but it seems to keep things mostly dry. It leaks a little around the tailgate area and I've also noticed a few drips along the rails. So for the most part it keeps things dry but I wouldn't call it waterproof. I plan on getting the tailgate seal some time and covers for my stake pockets as I think I might be getting some water through them. I think this should keep most all the water out.

I'm use to the Access roll up cover on my last truck so to me its a hassle to have to lift the last panel on the cover each time I want to close the tailgate. Besides that I'm happy with the cover so far.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Extang solid fold.
    No keys or exposed latches.
    Very secure with tailgate lock.

+1

I have an old school tonneau cover, one that takes two men to lift and I hate it, but it's just my backup vehicle.

My dad has an Extang on his Silverado, and it is great. It locks securely to the bed with no tools required, and can easily be folded up and tied down by the cab. Only takes one guy to take it on and off.

If you do get the extang, be sure to connect the straps when folded up, otherwise it will unfold and damage some panels while driving... dad was not a happy camper that day. There customer service is great though.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I had a bakflip on a toyota tundra. It's a gorgeous installation. Cant tell theres a cover on there. Tapered to fit the bed. Only problem was the stack of folded panels would lean against the back window if you wanted to open the cover all the way. It had drain tubes and the bed was always dry excepts for a few dribbles by the tailgate.

The 1/2 ton GMC I put a FOLD A COVER. It sits on top of the rails so you can see it. Its also straight so when you look down the cover the the cover appears wider in the back I believe since the bed is tapered. Not noticeable at 60mph but I notice it when sitting still!

If I was to buy again, I'd likely buy another Bakflip as you can't beat the look.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I also have a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit. Nice cover. It is NOT waterPROOF, but does keep things drier. Anything I want to stay completely dry is elevated off the bed a bit (I use milk crates). Seems as secure as about anything. I had to remove and re-install it once, when a clamp came loose and it got jammed. Other than that, it has been working just fine since 2009. I like that I can roll it up one-handed and use all but the last foot of the bed, and then pull it closed (and locked) when needed.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have the Undercover Flex, its a hard cover tri flip. Its nice and easy to flip up if I need the space. I see some water in the bed after a hard rain when parked (havent had any real issue when driving).

Top Bottom