MDGC0022.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Opening day got a bird at 12:45 in the afternoon, didn't get a weight, guessing 22-23 lbs. spurs 27mm and 9 1/2 beard. Heard over 100 gobbles(at least) saw 11 birds, 5 shooters(1 jake, a bearded hen, and 3 toms).
    Wife videoed hunt and she had a blast too.
    Man I love this stuff.
    Birds were henned up a couple of weeks before season started and hens(most) were on nest when season started here in southern Indiana.
    Good luck to everyone.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have been turkey hunting 15 years and killed a bird every year but the first, also took a bird last fall the first time I hunted in the fall. I have called in several birds for friends that are just starting out turkey hunting and don't know how to call.

Here are a few thoughts to keep in mind.

Killed all but a couple first 2 days of season.

Last 5 birds I killed were after 12:00, all but one of those after 4:00 pm.

I would guess 75% of the birds I have killed have come in silent. NO GOBBLES.

90% of the birds I call in for myself or others are called in with purrs and clucks. I very rarely YELP. I only yelp when it is raining or very windy because the yelps are louder. If a bird hangs up and it is not coming in any closer I will sometimes yelp a couple of times to get him excited and try to get him closer. EVERYONE else in the woods yelps, some see them do it on TV and think thats the only way. Most people I have hunted around Yelp because they want to use a mouth call and it is more difficult to purr and cluck with a mouth call. EVERY hunter I hear in the woods Yelps, and the turkey figure this out quick. Try the purrs and clucks.

Don't call too much, I call around every 15 minutes.

I you like to run and gun just keep in mind that if nothing responses to your call and you keep moving you are walking right by the birds. They are still there they just are not talking. (see above about birds coming in silent).

These are a few things to think about. It works for me. Hope some of this works for you.
    Good luck & Purr and cluck:)

Top Bottom