• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Will give that a shot. Last night I turned the light on, and was suprised how bright it still was. It was clearly not a bright as with a clean lens, but still provided plenty of light for good illumination across the room. It was about like some of the earlier incandescent bulbs pre-LED technology.

Do you have one of the newer mega-lumens versions?

Mine is (I think) 130 lumens. A little crud on the lens and it's not good for much of anything other than helping you locate a key hole in the dark.

Hmmm ... clearly I need a new light!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Mine is (I think) 130 lumens. A little crud on the lens and it's not good for much of anything other than helping you locate a key hole in the dark.

What about a rainbow in the dark?

wiuteke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks Cedertop! We did have an excellent class yesterday. Too bad so many couldn't join us. Oh we'll, your loss. ;)

wiuteke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Thank you to everyone who joined us this past weekend. Stay tuned for next years dates for Tom....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Nah, just standard TLR-1 LED. An old tooth brush, soap and water, and some simple green cleaner and the lens is good as new. A little moisture got in behind the lens, so 30 minutes in the oven at 250F took care of that.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I expect to get my AAR up tomorrow.

Edit: My AAR is out for review by a couple other students. After they provide any comments they may have, I will post to the forum.

Last edited:

TheZenful1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    great AA. Missed this one. Tom is an excellent Instructor. Had an Instructor Development course with him last year. Top Notch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nah, just standard TLR-1 LED. An old tooth brush, soap and water, and some simple green cleaner and the lens is good as new. A little moisture got in behind the lens, so 30 minutes in the oven at 250F took care of that.

Good show!

At least I'm still useful for flashlight cleaning tips!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Little follow up for the guys who were in class with me. As Cedartop and JB already know I was very disappointed that my pistol managed 3 malfunctions last weekend. 1 of these was absolutely my not getting the magazine seated, another may or may not have been related to not getting the magazine seated, and the third was a flat out failure to feed. So I am going to call this 2 FTF in 500 rounds, which is simply not acceptable. My not being one to simply accept defeat I pulled out the magazines, dirty gun and some dummy rounds and started investigating. Below is a picture of two different magazines. Notice anything different?

photo_zps2522a9d4.jpg

If you said feed lip design you would be correct. (Actually feed lip and follower) Apparently the shorter feed lips of the Wilson ETM mags are releasing the cartridge too soon and it allows the rim of the case to either get in front of or below the extractor. When using dummys you can actually feel the drag of the cartridge as it basically slams the round into place. If you ride the slide you can get a malfunction with ball ammo. With the internet as my assistant I continued to research. Basically what you see here is the difference between wadcutter feed lips and hybrid feed lips. Different guns prefer different designs. The Wilson ETM releases the cartridge early and basically forces the gun to throw the bullet at the chamber and opposed to controlling the feed.

So I switched back to the factory (checkmate mags I think) and some Wilson Service Mags which are the flush fit mags (Also Checkmate I think) with the hybrid feed lips. Feeding dummy rounds in the garage and live ball and hollowpoint ammo at the range was butter smooth. Now for the hiccup, 4 rounds into using the hybrid feed lip design with my reloads I got a malfunction. I reload wadcutters. This is why I originally ditched these mags in favor of the ETMs for the class. What I have now learned is that I need to use a hybrid design for ball and the ETMs for reloaded wadcutters.

I used the range opportunity to test my dirty gun. I fired ball ammo with the hybrid design strong hand, weak hand, loose grip, sideways, I even shot the gun upside down using my pinky to press the trigger. Using the Service Mags that will control the feed of the round I simply could not get the gun to malfunction. If it had not been for a high round count class I probably would have never figured this out.

Edit and side note: Now I beginning to understand why the 1911 has the reputation that it does. It is not so much that the gun is a picky eater as the gun, ammo and magazines all have to work together. Problem is there is no OEM magazine for a 1911. Couple that with everybody building one today with cost ranging from $400 - $4000 and it is easy to see the frustration. I do not recommend the 1911 platform for new shooters whose main reason to purchase a pistol is self defense. My opinion is buy a Glock or M&P in the size that best suits your needs. One manufacturer of the design and factory magazines. (I have seen more then one Glock/M&P fail due to aftermarket mags.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom