• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Roger started reading the Presidential emergency order. To be honest it was a first in the history of the nation. Roger was uncomfortable reading it to all of us. If we had a copier, he would have just handed it out. The promise of additional supplies and land were very generous.

An “unnamed” voice from the back of the group set us all to laughing. We have had too much free time to catch up on post disaster fiction.

“Beats living in the coal mines or on an island in England,” said another voice. One of the younger ladies whispered “that will be a lot of work.” Several of the men were not happy at these prospects and the push to get this program moving.
    The southern group was listening to the information over the radio and was tossing some classic comments back as the meeting moved forward. The subject was awkward with this diverse group, but it made sense. Over the radio younger voice said, “We’ve been doing that for months already and some of us are getting ready for a second wind.”

We shut the radio off when we figured they were getting it. The southern neighbors were having too much fun with the nature of the order. Roger asked if anyone had any questions on the subject. Several NO’s closed the topic!

The meeting moved on to the second part of the emergency order. That part of the order has risk and involves a tremendous amount of work. Travel and security issues will be involved and we will have to go into unsecured areas. The President wants us to locate, secure, transport and stockpile equipment and supplies needed for the rebuilding of the nation. The order was in a 50 page booklet and at least three thousand physical locations need to be secured. There were 29 locations within 150 miles of our location.

There are not enough people left alive to do all the work, so instructions on the storage of key elements were covered. The list includes ways to prevent rust, keep equipment lubricated and out of the elements so that sometime in the future the equipment will be used. It read like a preservationist book to prevent the loss of key technologies, processes or equipment.

The part that set everyone back was the timeline section. The booklet was the first of many in the methods to preserve and maintain infrastructure for at least 50 years! This disaster will be ongoing for at least 50 years in the minds of our leaders before things start to get to a stable operation on a national level.

We have the materials, the knowledge and the equipment. What we lack is manpower to get all the tasks done. Until the population increases, we will only have small scale improvements and must be the curators of our mothballed technology.

The nation cannot survive with 3 million people. It all made sense when the President said; every family should try to have at least 6 children. The order to lower the age of marriage to 13 year’s old made sense also to rebuild the nation.

I ran the math. A current family has five more children. When they reach thirteen they can marry and start having kids. Thirteen years later, those kids can start having kids. 36 years from now, that is a significant increase in the population. Running the numbers in my head told me the population would be at least 50 million in 50 years. Somehow I think I’m close, but I could be off by 10 million or so. The part that messes with my head is not every family will start having babies right away, and at best it would take 7 years or more to deliver all those kids.

The meeting ended and some of the group went off to follow the Presidents emergency order.

Top Bottom