• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Let's start this off by saying that I am a student at IUPUI that comes home on the weekends every three weeks or so. I live in Walkerton (think 30 minutes south of South Bend). It just so happened that this weekend was a weekend that I was returning home. I decided that I would maximize my chances of finding some .40S&W and .223/5.56 and hit up every major place that sells ammo on 31 on the way home.

I first hit up a Dunhams in Kokomo. Went in to see the usual massive mountain of shotgun ammo....then completely empty shelves except for a lone box of .454 Casul. I quickly walked out empty handed because, you know, places to see and people to do...or something like that. Next stop was MC sports in Kokomo. I walk to the sporting goods department to see a guy talking on two phones at the same time. Both calls are about ammo inventory. I hear him say that they are out of .22,9,.38,.40,.45,.223/5.56,.308 etc... I didn't even make eye contact with the guy before walking back out. On to the next one.

My next stop was Walmart #1. I go in to see people waiting by the ammo case. I thought this was a good sign that maybe there was some ammo worth waiting for...and I'd be wrong in thinking that. They were probably just in shock of the super empty shelves. On to the next one...which just so happened to be Big R. They actually had .22,9,.40, and .45...but it was all steel cased stuff besides the .22. And it was all $.7+ a round. Though slightly more optimistic, I left empty handed. I then stopped at Walmart #2 in Plymouth. Same story as the first. People blankly staring at the empty case as if ammo was going to spontaneously show up. I left there and decided to go out of my way and head to Gun Town on 30.

The heavens rewarded me for my persistence! They had 5 boxes of 20 count 5.56 XF193 for $.55 a round. I realize that pre-panic this price would have been shrug worthy, but I bought all 5 and finished my trek home. I needed .40 S&W more than anything, but I will take what I can get. Hopefully others are having better luck.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Congrats! persistence pays off, I call a few places every week but should be doing that every day at 1005am when they open up. 40 s&w is pretty regularly available around here, in fact a couple WalMarts I recently went to had a few 50 round boxes each that were around 23.00 ea. but lgs usually have several boxes. I have a couple thousand rounds of 40 once I reload everything but about 800 rounds (new). I just wish these damn small pistol primers were available so I can reload. I did get a shipping invoice from Powder Valley for my 5000ct of spp saying my total so I ASSUME they are shipped or very close. I havent even put 1 round through my new 380. My Wife has the same 380 and Ive shot hers so I'm very familiar with the gun and a test round was sent with it so I know it works,lol. Good luck with the rest!

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I live in Atlanta, GA but Dick's got a big shipment of ammo in this morning. The guy in front of me in line was told he was permanently banned from being allowed to buy there. They discovered he has been going in...and sending others in...to buy stuff as it comes off the truck then turning around and selling it in the parking lot of gun shows and online WAY marked up. Example: 525 rounds of Remmington 22lr you buy for $23 and he was selling it for $90 someone told me. He threatened to call the media, which makes me nervous because it's more stuff for liberals to squawk about.

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Too bad you didn't venture just west of 31 to Galveston. Down by the tracks had over 16k in .223 (500 rnds for $230 not bad but it was wolf). 7.62x39 was 1000 for $390. Plus they had .45 as well for about .50 per rnd. All gone in under 9 hours.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have a classifieds add wanting to buy .40 on here and people are just not wanting to sell it seems. Though I don't blame them. Makes me regret going through 200 rounds the other day.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I have a classifieds add wanting to buy .40 on here and people are just not wanting to sell it seems. Though I don't blame them. Makes me regret going through 200 rounds the other day.

your in my area the walmart in plymouth gets the federal fmj 50 count boxes but the sharks keep an eye out for it so its hard to get a few boxes.

guntown had a bunch of hollow points when i was there a few days ago

Top Bottom