To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The show staff only requires that guns brought inside the show venue be unloaded. People, individually, decide if they are going to do it safely at a safe location or at the front door, where accidents like this can happen. Kirk is right that discharges can happen when loading or unloading, but people must make a smart decision as to when and where to do it. As previously stated though, "You can't fix stupid!"

Loading and unloading is the time and biggest risk of a ND/AD so as the rule of keep you muzzle pointed in a safe direction when you are loading or unloading so if it does discharge there is ZERO human contact (with yourself included) and minimal property damage, then everyone is Happy Happy Happy

Or Plan B and leave it in your vehicle.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Training won't do away with 100% of ND's because every group has "That guy" but when you factor in percentages trained personnel have a lot less than untrained! And for the record I am a certifed Federal LE Firearms instructor and am quietly ammused by the Call of Duty 3 mentality that I see at almost every gun shop and gun show, Not by everyone but you see it a lot!

I think training and firearms go hand and hand, however I don't think it needs to be from some certified program or mandated by law. You will always have accidents with any subject, humans will always find a way to pull a bone headed move despite history. I think it has just as much to do with a persons attitude as it does training, just like the agent I pointed out almost anyone can sit through a training program. That doesn't mean they retained the information or put forth the effort to put that knowledge into practice. Some people can get by with reading a manual others may need more. I'm all for training I just think those smart enough to seek out the level they need are better off than some idiot who sits through a class because it's a requirement.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I keep telling people.

I know gun exspurts like INGO hate me to remind them, but each time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

Why the Indy1500 does not provide sand barrels or a wall of sand bags, I do not understand.

How about those portable rubber bullet traps/stops, they can take rifle hits, easier to move and set up than barrels or sand bags??

PORTABLE BULLET TRAPS

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How did he even do it? I can't imagine shooting myself while reloading. Finger off the trigger, muzzle in a safe direction at all times.

Every time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

This can happen especially with inertia firing pin platforms, such as the 1911, Glock, Remington 870, AR-15, etc.

The problem is that it does not happen often so noobs think that it never happens thus they do jacked up stuff like this and do not follow the Four Rules. They jack up loading or unloading or become blase with their d**kskinners like this one did.

You have heard "complacency kills"? You just read about how it does.

Everytime you load or unload anticipate, no count on, the weapon discharging. This way if it does go bang, there is not a problem as you have prepared for it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The 1500 should be liable for any damages that occur as a result of a ND, since they are the ones who require people to unload their firearms. Every time you have to take a firearm out of its nice, safe holster and futz around with it to unload or load it, you run the risk of a ND. Their asinine rules compound the problem. Multiply that by the hundreds of people who are required to do it at any given show and your recipe for disaster goes up even farther. Their rules, their liability. Even the safest gun owner can have a discharge, as we have seen here on INGO many times. And the 1500 doesn't even provide a safe area to unload. The foyer is not safe and there are no barrels.
    Who is going to be liable when the same dumbass unholsters it indoors and rather than just shooting himself shoots two or three others?

The guy shot himself. No one twisted his arm to reload where he did. He's the only one responsible.

This rule is no different than the rule for the vast majority of gun shops. I think we can see why the rule is in place.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Not the shows fault....could of been a slam fire, no finger on the trigger...but he still failed by letting the gun be pointed at himself. I bet after racking the slide, he was easying the hammer down one handed and it got away from him and was pointed at his other hand. But no matter what, a total fail on his part because he was ignorant of where the gun was pointed in case it did go off......wonder what will happen Sunday...?

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    This was posted in the comments on wthr's site: What if it hit someone walking or in a passing car !?!?! What is wrong with this city to allow 'accidental' criminals... Loading his gun as he left th building? And tht is OK???? God help us all.

I guess it is never OK to attempt to reload your weapon! You will become an accidental criminal!

Top Bottom