• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I listened to the "experts" that constantly damned the Serpa holsters and didn't try them for years.
    After trying many holsters and hating the Fobus holsters I gave the Serpa a try. I now own two of them, one for 1911's the other for my Glock 22. I find that drawing from this holster is very natural. If you draw with you index finger out but slightly against the the slide of the weapon being drawn then this will be the exact motion needed. I draw this way regardless of the holster. So to adjust slightly to hit the release each and every time was no effort.
    I do understand from research that once upon a time there were problems with these holsters. As far as I can tell any defects have been resolved. I have owned mine for about six months so I'm not talking from long term experience. Take it for what its worth.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. I decided to start with an Uncle Mike's and try to test out a serpa when I find one that is for my gun.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    The best thing you can do is get a holster and try it for yourself. I have 4 serpa holsters. I use mine on regular basis and have had no issues what so ever. Remember though, that anything mechanical, with moving parts can and will someday break. As far as the ND issues talked about after having a conversation about it, with a buddy of mine, we did a little closer examing. When you draw your weapon, a glock in my case your finger comes out strait, right along the frame just like your strait trigger finger should be, until your ready to fire your weapon. Some people love them,some hate them. Just try one for yourself and train, train ,train and then train some more. Just my 2 cents.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    My first holster was a fobus paddle holster for my G22. It was alright, but I always felt like the retention was a little on the weak side. My off duty holster was a serpa for my USP, and compared to the fobus holster, it was 10x better. As I've read through the previous posts, no one made mention of the necessity for a good belt. Both holster respond better with a belt that is rigid and that resist warping. You may want to look into upgrading your belt too. For the record, I have never had a problem with my serpa and its mechanics.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You can buy the Serpa without the lock $33 +/- from Midway. I bought one that fits several of my .357's and it works great..... chasing my grandson, slipped and rolled about 5 yards downhill, and the revolver never offered to change position.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i have one and have been very happy with it.that being said i will still take my safariland als any day over the serpa. and safarilands customer service is second to none! about a year ago i broke a used one i bought off ebay, called safariland to order replacement parts and said i was in the military and needed the parts. they just sent me what i needed free of charge

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The Serpa is my on-the-clock-on-duty-out-of-uniform holster. I find that the Glock fits just perfectly and the draw is quite natural, but that's just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it..

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I use a rsr defense retention holster I have never owned a serpa but my rsr is a great "stick the glock on to mow the lawn, quick errands etc) It was cheap ugly and as yet flawless even in dirty/rough situations. and I will add much more sturdy than fobus. I swore by fobus until i tore one off while shifting in my tractor seat.(even the hardiest Glockophile knows not to try the bushhog torture test)

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I just picked up a SERPA a few hours ago. I like it so far and the release mechanism is smooth and has not hindered my draw. I got mine for just under $30.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I have had zero problems out of using them for 3 years. My Glock 27 has seen extensive time in it until I learned about IWB. I have done many timed draws and shoots with the full size for a Sig P226, and banged around the one for my Glock 22 for about 10 months. Can it fail...sure everything can fail under the right circumstances.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My OWB holster is a Bianchi Carrylok (82 *CarryLok™). It operates similar to a SERPA except the position of the release is below and behind the trigger guard and is actuated by the middle finger. This way I get to keep my booger hook high on the frame while drawing, and the middle finger is already past the trigger guard by the time it emerges from the holster. Also, I personally find that during the draw from a thumbbreak or tension holster my grip is slower because my gripping fingers are fighting with pants, belts, cover garments or holster bits for the space right under the trigger guard. With the Carrylok, I feel like since I don't wrap the middle finger around until after the gun has cleared leather I get a firmer, faster grip. I always carry strongside, but sometimes use different holsters. I simply practice drawing from all of my holsters with the same finger arrangement as the Carrylok for consistency's sake and haven't noticed any loss of control or speed with them. YMMV

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I like the holster, the draw and all but they stick out WAY to far for useful CC and even OC is a pain. I wish they would make a holster that stuck closer to the hip.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I like the holster, the draw and all but they stick out WAY to far for useful CC and even OC is a pain. I wish they would make a holster that stuck closer to the hip.

I'm finding that a drawback as well. The more I wear it the more I wish it did fit closer to the body.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just bought me a serpa for my m&p 9mm a few hours ago from Big R in crawfordsville. So far im liking it. It fits pretty rigid and the trigger finger release seems very natural. I plan on practicing and training my self to be quick and error free with it, but for the time being I like it for $30. (although if I had the money I would much rather have a leather galco)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just bought me a serpa for my m&p 9mm a few hours ago from Big R in crawfordsville. . . . . . .(although if I had the money I would much rather have a leather galco)

And I think this is the #1 reason the Serpa is popular and keeps on selling, even with all the evidence that its not a good, and in some cases 'dangerous', holster-- its sold EVERYWHERE. Chances are that your local gun store, Big R, and Gander Mtn sell a Serpa holster that fits your gun, even if its not a compact Glock. Even people who admittedly would rather have a different holster buy one because its available for their gun NOW, without waiting or buying sight-unseen. Its the same idea with Fobus.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The Safari land is a great holster... keep in mind it cost 4 times as much as a Serpa.

You simply can NOT compare these two products. It's like comparing a 1895 Nagant Revolver and a S&W 642. It's absurd!

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    serpa

iv`e used a serpa for a while now, haven`t had a single problem but i haven`t been knocked down or had any abuse except i fell in the river one day and washed the water and sediments out with no problems so far.

Top Bottom