• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The point is: they weren't law. Holcomb's abuse of executive powers is why he lost my vote in 2020.
    Holcomb won in court. His actions were ruled as in accordance with the Indiana constitution.

With this super-majority of Republicans I'd like to see the state constitution changed to limit what powers a governor has in an emergency. That's not gonna happen because everyone in the state house with asperations won't want to limit their own power.

But "emergency" implies a time limit, which should be reflected in law. Emergencies are...emergent. I think it's fine to grant a governor emergency powers for a reasonable period, but a limit should be placed on the extent to which an emergency order can infringe upon rights. If the emergent conditions persist, it's no longer an emergency, by definition. If the condition is persistent, it's now a long term problem, which is the responsibility of the legislature.

So I think Emergency orders should expire in 60 days. If the legislature isn't in session, the Governor should call a special session to deal with it. The way it worked out, the EO was renewed several times. By definition, that's not an emergency.

Also, I think that lame duck public executives should be on the hook for more than getting re-elcted. l think by public referendum, the people should get to vote on whether a public executive should be tarred and feathered in the public square for acts of treachery. That should go all the way from school board member up to the POTUS. Would need a super-majority to eliminate partisan punishments. Eh, let's throw the press in there too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Go wash your mouth out right now! Ugh, the mere thought makes me want to wretch.
    There are some things in life that are inevitable. Death. Paying Taxes. An Indiana chamber-o-commerce Republican becoming a senator after having **** all over ordinary Hoosiers, because the same Hoosiers will vote for him.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    With this super-majority of Republicans I'd like to see the state constitution changed to limit what powers a governor has in an emergency. That's not gonna happen because everyone in the state house with asperations won't want to limit their own power.

But "emergency" implies a time limit, which should be reflected in law. Emergencies are...emergent. I think it's fine to grant a governor emergency powers for a reasonable period, but a limit should be placed on the extent to which an emergency order can infringe upon rights.
    ^^^^ This. Limitation of "Emergency Powers" is on my to do list if I can get 20 to 30 minutes with my State Rep. (Becky Cash). My position is "Emergency Powers" should exist for 48 - 72 hours or until a quorum of the House and Senate can be established in a location (or virtually). Once the chambers are brought together and a quorum reached, the "Emergency Powers" end. The Executive can then petition the legislature for new time limited authority to address the emergency, which is beyond existing law.

I've looked. I haven't found anywhere in the Indiana Constitution which states the Executive has magical powers of tyranny when an "Emergency" is declared. I have found where the Legislature can take some short cuts "in case of emergency", but not the Executive. (Article 4, Sec 18 & 28)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ^^^^ This. Limitation of "Emergency Powers" is on my to do list if I can get 20 to 30 minutes with my State Rep. (Becky Cash). My position is "Emergency Powers" should exist for 48 - 72 hours or until a quorum of the House and Senate can be established in a location (or virtually). Once the chambers are brought together and a quorum reached, the "Emergency Powers" end. The Executive can then petition the legislature for new time limited authority to address the emergency, which is beyond existing law.

I've looked. I haven't found anywhere in the Indiana Constitution which states the Executive has magical powers of tyranny when an "Emergency" is declared. I have found where the Legislature can take some short cuts "in case of emergency", but not the Executive. (Article 4, Sec 18 & 28)
    I said 60 days, but that's just the time limit in Indiana before each emergency order has to be renewed. That's probably too long, but 72 hours is too short. I want the legislature to have time to study the issue and come up with the right answer.

:rofl:

Obviously I mean for them to have time to come up with a solution that will most enrich themselves.

But seriously, I think it would have to be weeks not hours. The legislature doesn't move quickly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think it is humorous that you think something could be done to head it off.
    Then you have given up. But you really are just wrong. I suspect Indiana has a more open primary than most states, fewer signatures and the like needed to get on the ballot than many other states. There actually are three elections, getting on the primary ballot, the primary, the election.

Complainers usually start a few weeks before the election but do nothing when they could have as evidenced by defeatist claims that play right into the hand of the COC. Conservatives usually put too many options on the primary ballot then the COC candidate wins…

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I said 60 days, but that's just the time limit in Indiana before each emergency order has to be renewed. That's probably too long, but 72 hours is too short. I want the legislature to have time to study the issue and come up with the right answer.

:rofl:

Obviously I mean for them to have time to come up with a solution that will most enrich themselves.

But seriously, I think it would have to be weeks not hours. The legislature doesn't move quickly.
    If the "emergency" is that dire the Executive can simply propose he be allowed to continue his "Emergency Power" status for X days. If the crisis is that dire the Legislature will vote for it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Then you have given up. But you really are just wrong. I suspect Indiana has a more open primary than most states, fewer signatures and the like needed to get on the ballot than many other states. There actually are three elections, getting on the primary ballot, the primary, the election.

Complainers usually start a few weeks before the election but do nothing when they could have as evidenced by defeatist claims that play right into the hand of the COC. Conservatives usually put too many options on the primary ballot then the COC candidate wins…
    Show your work here. What primary had too many options in this state?
    I think Braun won out of three Rs the year he won and beat Donnelly. Young faced one the first time and zero the second.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Show your work here. What primary had too many options in this state?
    I think Braun won out of three Rs the year he won and beat Donnelly. Young faced one the first time and zero the second.
    Not going to look it up for you, been following this stuff far longer than you, but many primary elections with four or five candidates, particularly house representatives. There often are two conservatives carving up the vote and the RINO gets the nod while a couple of fringe candidates siphon off a little…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not going to look it up for you, been following this stuff far longer than you, but many primary elections with four or five candidates, particularly house representatives. There often are two conservatives carving up the vote and the RINO gets the nod while a couple of fringe candidates siphon off a little…
    Sure thing Mike. Typical nonsense. You think it is true, therefor it obviously is.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I am no fan of Menards, but I don't think your data proves your point much. It may have actually increased, but their total donations are so small as to be irrelevant.

Few corporations are going to support only one side. They are looking to benefit the corporation, so that is what will guide their donations. They want to make friends with whomever they think they win.
    It goes to mindset your honor….

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sure thing Mike. Typical nonsense. You think it is true, therefor it obviously is.
    You find it hard to believe that various conservative factions, whether they be anti abortion, pro gun, to name two, put forth their preferred candidates only to split the votes of the conservatives and allow the COC candidate to get the nomination?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom