• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I rode my Harley never wore a helmet unless we were in a state that required it. My Jap bikes.....different story. Bell XFM1 (indy car helmet...not street legal) or a Simpson carbon fiber "Shark" as I wanted to be able to allow my wife to have an open casket for my remains. We rode like we were running from a fire. Bikes were stupid fast. I went down on all of them at least once. Helmet saved my Bacon one time.
    It is a choice.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Since this thread got sidetracked, I'll put my two cents in.
    i rarely wear a helmet. If I know I'll be riding in the rain, or in a state where law dictates, or a very long interstate ride (so I can hear when I get to my destination), I'll put one on.
    I believe it should always be the riders choice.
    My helmet almost got me killed almost 30 years ago on our honeymoon, riding down in Tennessee(sp?). I was changing lanes, turned on my signal, checked the mirror, turned my head and still didn't see the cage on my left in the perfect blind spot for a full face helmet. Luckily, the driver saw what I was doing and honked quick enough for me to swerve back and avoid a very bad, very fast wreck. (which surely would have killed my wife and me!)
    My head, my choice!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Only Chuck Norris can ride without protective gear and not be vying for Darwin Award. :chuck:

But there shouldn't be a law that requires protective gear for the rest of us.
    People are free to be stupid if they choose. :lmfao:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't understand the hatred people have for helmets. Is it because you feel defensive because people think (and openly post) that you are stupid for not wearing one? I suppose I'd be defensive about my choice to wear a sweater made of kittens if everyone said it was stupid.

There's those that have some notion that wearing a helmet in a collision will leave you comatose. These seem to be the same riders with a very fatalistic view that death will get them and there's no escaping it. I wonder if they feel the same about carrying a gun for protection?
    I'm even more skeptical of the "helmets make riding dangerous" crowd. They try to use poor hearing and visibility as a part of their claim. They've got decent anecdotal evidence, but it doesn't hold up. Consider that wearing a helmet reduces fatigue and increases alertness.

There's also got to be a huge "helmets are uncool" group. Probably the same group that has to advertise their brand of motorcycle on their shirts, truck, hats, forearm, glassware, etc. Riders shudder and wrap up their faces in those stupid skull masks in the cold and I'm nice and warm in my FF. I guess I'm not cool. (were the kids in 8th grade right?) Honestly, riding without a helmet is uncomfortable to me.

If you don't want to wear a helmet because it's uncomfortable - fine, just say so. I'll at least respect that reason. I'll tell you to shop more for the right fit, but...

Obligatory statement: I openly oppose any mandatory helmet laws.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I am on the fence about helmets. When it's cold, I am wearing my full-face all the time. When weather is decent, I tend to not wear it.

I would love to convince myself that spending $$ on a NICE lid would get me to wear it more, but I can't see spending $400+ on a helmet. Maybe if I had a better one that didn't feel so big or awkward at time, I would wear it more. Where I am from and ride, not many wear helmets. It's sad but true and I am unfortunately with the masses and just don't wear it like I should.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I am on the fence about helmets. When it's cold, I am wearing my full-face all the time. When weather is decent, I tend to not wear it.

I would love to convince myself that spending $$ on a NICE lid would get me to wear it more, but I can't see spending $400+ on a helmet. Maybe if I had a better one that didn't feel so big or awkward at time, I would wear it more. Where I am from and ride, not many wear helmets. It's sad but true and I am unfortunately with the masses and just don't wear it like I should.

I grew up riding dirt so when I started riding pavement it felt weird to have my head inside a bucket. My whole reason for riding was the feeling of freedom and my head sealed off in a bucket just ruined it for me. SO, I started using my dirt bike helmet - better visibility - way lighter - can wear my cool sun glasses - dirt bike helmet works for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up riding dirt so when I started riding pavement it felt weird to have my head inside a bucket. My whole reason for riding was the feeling of freedom and my head sealed off in a bucket just ruined it for me. SO, I started using my dirt bike helmet - better visibility - way lighter - can wear my cool sun glasses - dirt bike helmet works for me.

Wife and I both feel confined wearing a helmet. Once you experience the road sans helmet it is like skinny dipping. You will always want that freedom. Ear plugs work for wind noise.
    I never minded the little $10 head caps we wore in Florida when down for bike week and biktoberfest. Not much real protection in them except from tickets.

Yes....it is a choice. You can see the skull caps behind my wife. Long road trip through helmet states.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Wife and I both feel confined wearing a helmet. Once you experience the road sans helmet it is like skinny dipping. You will always want that freedom. Ear plugs work for wind noise.
    I never minded the little $10 head caps we wore in Florida when down for bike week and biktoberfest. Not much real protection in them except from tickets.

It's probably different for me because my parents made me wear a helmet riding dirt. When the nice newer dirt helmets came on the scene I had all the protection I needed and enough freedom for the balance. Had i started helmetless I would likely think differently about it. I like the wind directly on my face yet the protection of a lower half like the dirt helmets give.

BUT! NO MANDATES! Personal safety where you are the only recipient of your choices - Government stay OUT.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's probably different for me because my parents made me wear a helmet riding dirt. When the nice newer dirt helmets came on the scene I had all the protection I needed and enough freedom for the balance. Had i started helmetless I would likely think differently about it. I like the wind directly on my face yet the protection of a lower half like the dirt helmets give.

BUT! NO MANDATES! Personal safety where you are the only recipient of your choices - Government stay OUT.

I wore a lid when I raced dirt/hare&hound.......Saved my brain bucket a few times.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I wear my helmet for one reason: MY KIDS
    When I crash, I don't want them to see daddy's face smashed in while laying in the hospital. I would rather live and see them graduate/get married/have kids than die in a bike crash because I didn't have a helmet on.
    I have actually thought about giving up street riding until they are adults just because of this. But to each his own...

I know it doesn't make sense but I stopped riding for 20 years until all my kids were grown, been riding 3 years and put 30K miles on two bikes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Coincidentally I found out last night a dear friend of mine is in ICU. Some idiot plowed into him on his harley and he wasnt wearing a helmet. 6 cracked ribs, bruised lungs, broken arm and fractured skull.

I'm sure this badass will recover. He's a decorated vietnam war vet and not the type to roll over when something like this happens.

Be careful out there folks.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I hope the OP's father has a good result. I know what it's like to have organ failure, but all mine have come back at least to nominal operating function.

But, if we're parting someone out, however, I could use a liver.

I started wearing a seatbelt back before it was the law, because I was riding around with a maniac driving (me) (I've settled down since). I wear a helmet on the motorcycle as well. Neither is a guarantee, but if you look at the statistics, both provide an advantage. To deny this is foolishness. Yes, I just said that about some people here whom I respect otherwise. Do what you will, but understand. When I'm on a bicycle, scooter or Harley in traffic, my ruling philosophy is "Cars are bigger than me. They can hurt me." It would be of little comfort to know that it was the other guy's fault, when laying in a hospital bed all smashed up. I'll be cautious to the point of paranoia. I seriously don't want to die for a dumb reason. I don't have enough checks on my ticket yet.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

What reinforced why I wear a helmet was when I was going down I-69 one day back in the early 1990's on a Honda V65 Magna that had no windshield.

I was overtaking a dual axle dump truck when when it hit a bump in the road and an almost tennis ball sized rock came off of it.

It was coming right towards my face, and I only had a split second to tip my head down and it hit me square in the forehead and snapped my head back.

If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I would've had a SERIOUS wreck.

But that said, I don't think wearing a helmet should be mandatory.
    I just think it's smart to wear one.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I ride any distance, speed, interstate, etc., I will wear a helmet just to keep the bugs, rocks, and pollen out of my eyes but nowadays most of my riding is downtown sans helmet.

In my twenties I had a Harley and the only time I wore a helmet was riding through States that required it. I have never had a windshield and probably never will. I lived in Omaha for a long time and ended up becoming allergic to Cottonwood from having it packed in my eyes riding so now if the Cottonwood is flying, my eyes start itching then my nose runs and I start sneezing. The eyes itching is the worst.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey CM - nice ride!

Thanks. I miss it. Only twin cam I ever owned. 88 inch stage 2.
    That was the last long distance roll out my wife did with me. She has some medical issues that make it terribly hard on her to do long distance in a car let alone a bike. No sense having it if she can not enjoy it with me.
    Folks are leery of the fixed fairings but that one was sweet out on the open road.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Thanks. I miss it. Only twin cam I ever owned. 88 inch stage 2.
    That was the last long distance roll out my wife did with me. She has some medical issues that make it terribly hard on her to do long distance in a car let alone a bike. No sense having it if she can not enjoy it with me.
    Folks are leery of the fixed fairings but that one was sweet out on the open road.

Those days are out there for all of us...last road trip...last hunt...last time to squeeze a trigger...

sigh.

I'm sure you miss it. I will too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those days are out there for all of us...last road trip...last hunt...last time to squeeze a trigger...

sigh.

I'm sure you miss it. I will too.

My uncle (rest his soul) put me on his new Harley Topper when I was 9 years old. 1959. I have been riding since that time up to selling the Road glide in the pic. I miss being in the wind more than I can say.
    As hard as it was on the wife she smiles when we talk of that trip and all the others. Seeing the Blue Ridge mountains on the parkway 2 wheels is something no one can forget. The smokey's, dragons tail, Florida and all points in between. Bad lands out in sturgis. Poop, getting dusty in here..........:)
    Yes, all things come to an end.

Top Bottom