• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Rhino used necropsy instead of autopsy, outstanding!

I would have to call the kinetic energy delivered TO the target external ballistics, since it's a function of muzzle velocity, bullet mass & ballistic coefficient.
    (Kinetic Energy being half of mass times velocity squared, while most ratings for bullets are 'Energy', which is mass x velocity squared. 'Energy' rated in 'Ft.Lb' or 'N M' which is typically for rotational torque.
    Big 'Energy' numbers look better on ballistic charts than Kinetic Energy numbers, and Ft.Lb./N M make it seem 'Scientific'.)

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics/Forces,_Fields_and_Energy/Appendix_of_Formulae

Since wind resistance (where Ballistics Coefficient comes in) determines Terminal Velocity (velocity when bullet makes first contact with target) there is a question about external velocity & terminal velocity.
    The endlessly long & dry dissertations about military weapons in development can't make their minds up, so I'm certainly not the last word on the subject!

The performance IN the target would be Terminal ballistics.
    The military has spent 100 years trying to determine a fool proof 'Scientific' way to figure this one out...
    From shooting pigs & cadavers, to 'Ballistics' gel, it's stupid hard to precisely (scientifically) quantify what any given bullet design is going to do IN a target.

Every scientific study I've ever read says 'Yaw' (bullet turning sideways, nose makes contact, heavier base comes around then point/nose), is nearly impossible to determine precisely, and that determines the energy delivered INSIDE the target.

'Varmint' bullets fragment and simply blow the target up, so that one is easy!
    With bullets designed to stay IN the target, that one is easy, 100% of delivered energy expended IN the target.
    For bullets that will PASS THROUGH the target, how much energy did it expend IN the target (percentage), and how much did the bullet take with it on the other side of the target?

I'm no expert, and not suffering from Dunning-Kruger, I have an idea of what I DON'T know, just trying to help define the specifics...

Top Bottom