To get a snow blower... or not a snow blower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd *love* to have the hydrostatic drive but replacing a friction disc every few years really isn't a big deal at all - can have it done in ~15 minutes and would be completed as a part of the routine maintenance that would go along with any snow blower.

After discussing the models and features with the wife we're actually leaning towards the 30" Platinum from Ariens. It's expensive, sure, but with proper maintenance [which I have no issues doing, just like I don't mind changing my oil or cleaning my guns] it should last 15+ years easily.

I've had my craftsman a while, and I haven't had to replace the friction disk yet. I know you're looking for an Ariens, but I figure if I haven't had to, you might not have so much trouble.
    My drive's probably not as long as yours, but I end up running to different retired peoples houses, and my parents, and do their drives. So it does get a bit of use.
    I also added an hour meter to it, just to get an idea of usage.
    It runs when it senses spark.
    Some people use them for maintenance. I do my maintenance around Halloween. Oil change, lube the chute joint (where it rotates) (low temp grease), test start, etc.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'd love to add an hour meter - it really helps with these smaller engines. Shouldn't be hard to do so that's probably one of the first things I'll do.

Now I just need to find some orange POR15 haha!

Just spoke to a dealer - going to pick up my Ariens Platinum 30" tomorrow. Too bad we don't still have piles of snow for me to move haha.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here is one similar to mine. Activated by spark. Counts revs, 1 per spark. I'm not an engine guy, if you need different revs/spark they have them.

ENM Company - PT15C2 - Panel Meters - Panel Meters - Allied Electronics
    70000826.jpg

and a datasheet.
    http://www.alliedelec.com/images/products/datasheets/bm/ENM_COMPANY/70000826.pdf

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd love to add an hour meter - it really helps with these smaller engines. Shouldn't be hard to do so that's probably one of the first things I'll do.

Now I just need to find some orange POR15 haha!

Just spoke to a dealer - going to pick up my Ariens Platinum 30" tomorrow. Too bad we don't still have piles of snow for me to move haha.

Sarcasm?????
    I have piles over my head around me.
    Since my work used to employ 30 to 36 thousand employees, not including bosses or contractors, and now they only employ around 5 thousand, their parking lot is bigger than they need.
    They are using complete isles to store snow.
    Trucks will pile the snow up at the end of an isle, and earth moving equipment will carry it to an empty isle.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sarcasm?????
    Yes. I have plenty of snow I can still move but not much in the driveway. Being 2-stage I could always clear the back yard for the dogs :).

I have piles over my head around me.
    A few - but they're not in the way of anything so I'd leave them be.

Since my work used to employ 30 to 36 thousand employees, not including bosses or contractors, and now they only employ around 5 thousand, their parking lot is bigger than they need.
    They are using complete isles to store snow.
    Wow... Downsizing.

Trucks will pile the snow up at the end of an isle, and earth moving equipment will carry it to an empty isle.
    Should snap a pic :).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes. I have plenty of snow I can still move but not much in the driveway. Being 2-stage I could always clear the back yard for the dogs :).

A few - but they're not in the way of anything so I'd leave them be.

Wow... Downsizing.

Should snap a pic :).

The 30thousand+ employees were from the 1980s.
    Attrition has not been replaced.
    Automation is the word of the day.
    The steel mills have always been good at that.

One thing people don't think about when they want to raise the minimum wage, is that sooner or later, a machine will be cheaper to perform a task.
    That's what happened to us.
    We make MORE steel, then when we had all those people. Yup, I make good money. But now less people are hired.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll take a pic.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Oh I believe it - we keep our staff slim at my company by automating as much as possible. All of our stuff is virtual so it's just programming/coding and doesn't require a physical component which makes it extremely easy.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Has a decently bright halogen.

If so, then disregard...

I need to do something like that.
    Mine has a regular incandescent bulb. Very low power.
    I need to look for something.
    Do you have something already?

No...but depending on what voltage system the blower is on, you can get you a rugged ridge twin series LED and pump out at least 1k lumens.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just emailed Reynold's Power Equipment in Mooresville for a price quote on the Ariens compact 24...

I figure that I can adjust down a bit for the compact 22 should the 24 be "too high".

Will still probably have to buy used, though, once the winter is over and folks begin unloading stuff like this.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I just emailed Reynold's Power Equipment in Mooresville for a price quote on the Ariens compact 24...

I figure that I can adjust down a bit for the compact 22 should the 24 be "too high".

Will still probably have to buy used, though, once the winter is over and folks begin unloading stuff like this.

Reynolds was one of the companies I spoke with. They wanted $799 for the 24 and $729 for the 22. The Fishers location had none in stock though, and they had no timeframe for another delivery. Further, they said they would not discount any excess blowers in stock at the end of the season as they have ample storage room and would sell them next season.

McGavic Power was another company I talked with - pricing was identical. They were supposed to have both units in stock on Friday, but the freight truck was stuck in Chicago. They said they would follow-up with me today about when they got the units in; however, I haven't heard anything yet.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Reynolds was one of the companies I spoke with. They wanted $799 for the 24 and $729 for the 22. The Fishers location had none in stock though, and they had no timeframe for another delivery. Further, they said they would not discount any excess blowers in stock at the end of the season as they have ample storage room and would sell them next season.

McGavic Power was another company I talked with - pricing was identical. They were supposed to have both units in stock on Friday, but the freight truck was stuck in Chicago. They said they would follow-up with me today about when they got the units in; however, I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks for the information!!

I kind of thought that the Ariens stuff might be a "bit" outside my mental price range. Guess I was right. :-)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's one of the dealers that was supposed to get a Compact 24" in on Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday, then Monday - they were supposed to call me when they came in and they never did so I assume either they forgot about me or they never came in.

They start at $700 or so for the 2-stage Ariens.

I'm sure some people will unload them - watch craigslist/facebook.

Yep - they were pretty blunt/short with me on the phone - I ended up picking up my 30" Platinum Ariens at a different dealer.

They came in today - I was just there and picked my 30" Platinum there. He told me that every one on the floor was already on-hold for people coming to pick them up. If you asked them to hold one for you - you may want to give them a call. If you didn't ask them to hold one - then the ones they got in are already sold.

sb1-s.jpg

sb2-s.jpg

414 CC motor - thing is a MONSTER :). Tomorrow I will fire it up and get used to operating it - not much snow left for me to clear but at least I can get familiar with it so I'm not fumbling when I really do want to clear snow.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    could always run it through the garden to make sure it works...
    Did think about dropping the skid plates way down and doing the side yard :).

I do have snow on my drive but there's lots of ice too that's built up - it is a 414 CC motor but I don't want to put undue stress on it either haha.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did think about dropping the skid plates way down and doing the side yard :).

I do have snow on my drive but there's lots of ice too that's built up - it is a 414 CC motor but I don't want to put undue stress on it either haha.

I blow a path to get my garbage can out, and too my back yard. I occasionally stay on the sidewalk, but it is more narrow than my blower is, and it's too close to the A/C tubing. So, a lot of it is on the grass. I just hold the handlebars down a little.
    As for strain, there are shear pins for the auger. I'm not worried about overloading my engine.
    I have a 9 HP engine, I don't know what that equates to in cc, probably smaller than yours. I'm looking at the sears website, and of course mine is too old to be on there. But the other 28 inch ones are in the 200s.

Top Bottom