• ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Speaking of great questions...

This one truly is a hypothetical so we could go either way. I'd say better decision making would add to the "skills" of the person.

I agree that better decision making adds to the "skills" of a person, I figure that things like good decision making, being able to keep a cool head under pressure and being able to control your temper are each way more important than marksmanship and weapon manipulation skills.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BBI is spot on as usual love the real world comments.
    I mentioned getting training before you carry a weapon awhile back.
    You would have thought I was posting the satanic bible here.
    The 2A doesn't say you are trained by God just because you have a right to carry a firearm.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When I was a new gun owner I started by carrying my SP101 in a fanny pack when I rode the trails alone. I definitely liked starting with a wheel gun. I also carried mace so I could build up to a gunfight if it were necessary. :)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think you know what I would do.

Well, actually some of us think we know what you would do, thers know you well enough to know, but certainelt a few would benefit fron your vast store of wisdom and experience.

Do you still EDC a sling and 5 smooth stones.

I went sarcastic in my first post because there are just too many what ifs. I know that the members wouls fill in the most important information and many nuances.

• Competence and Confidence
    • Through mindset
    • Through practice
    • Through knowing the law
    • Through training
    • Through situational awareness
    • Through medical training
    • Build Competence and Confidence every day

These are not in any specific order and there will be disagreements of the order, but you must build Competence and Confidence.

Just as you teach a child bu giving him/her problems to solve and tasks to complete, You build confidence and competence in them.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I will probably get FLAMED, for this .....

UNTIL YOU, are COMFORTABLE,

Carry condition 3, and DO NOT put yourself in a position,

where you need to use it .....

We have ALL been there .....

When I started EDC I carried condition 3 for probably a month. Helps you learn the gun will not magically eject a bullet without your interaction. You are learning how the gun feels and not to touch it every three minutes to see if it is still in the holster. We all start somewhere.

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    As a suggestion consider carrying OC spray before a firearm. Obviously if the bad guy has a gun, you are at a disadvantage, but for newbies not yet trained it would be a non-lethal, yet effective defense with some range to it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The 2A doesn't say you are trained by God just because you have a right to carry a firearm.

But,but,but, muh RIGHTS!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Let's say you're at the grocery store, in the dairy isle. Some guy you've never seen before comes at you screaming for you to give him your cell phone and he has a big kitchen knife in his hand. You say no and he comes at you with the knife obviously with intent to stab you.

What do you do?

Give him my cell phone, and lay down in the fetal position and cry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As a suggestion consider carrying OC spray before a firearm. Obviously if the bad guy has a gun, you are at a disadvantage, but for newbies not yet trained it would be a non-lethal, yet effective defense with some range to it.

I am not a fan of pepper spray for self defense. From FoF training with women's self defense classes, most couldn't get a hit on me from 7y and me closing and them starting with it in their hand. Maybe 20% got it in my face. OC takes time to take effect. It could be split seconds or full seconds, but it's enough time for an aggressor to be in contact with you and now you're both getting it. It's also largely ineffective on the chemically altered or really really mad.

OC is a compliance tool, not a self defense weapon.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I see too many people in my basic classes that have the mentality that men have genetic knowledge of firearms just as women know how to cook.. Neither is true.. Please get training before you carry a loaded weapon in any condition.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I see too many people in my basic classes that have the mentality that men have genetic knowledge of firearms just as women know how to cook.. Neither is true.. Please get training before you carry a loaded weapon in any condition.

Testicle knowledge. All men know how to fight, fix a car, shoot, and pick up hot women. Pop a hood on a broken down car and the guy who doesn't know a carburetor from a radiator will still come over and look inside and maybe offer some advise. Anything else is unmanly.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Let's say you're at the grocery store, in the dairy isle. Some guy you've never seen before comes at you screaming for you to give him your cell phone and he has a big kitchen knife in his hand. You say no and he comes at you with the knife obviously with intent to stab you.

What do you do?
    You are in a confined aisle. If he is already moving towards you, you will not have time to draw your sidearm, even if you move straight back (which is a bad choice). You only gain time to draw and engage if you move off the "X"...which you cannot do in a confined space. Sooooo, without the ability to draw, you will likely have to go "hands on". While it is not prefered, it is quite possible to defend yourself against a knife attack with only your hands. After many FOF simgun scenarios with rubber knives, I've learned this lesson the hard way.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    You are in a confined aisle. If he is already moving towards you, you will not have time to draw your sidearm, even if you move straight back (which is a bad choice). You only gain time to draw and engage if you move off the "X"...which you cannot do in a confined space. Sooooo, without the ability to draw, you will likely have to go "hands on". While it is not prefered, it is quite possible to defend yourself against a knife attack with only your hands. After many FOF simgun scenarios with rubber knives, I've learned this lesson the hard way.

I've read it many times before in various threads.. 'do what you're man enough to do'

I think the bottom line in any situation like this is do what you must to keep yourself safe, but don't escalate if you can avoid it.

As to the Original OP's question: I find myself much in agreement his statement "It depends"

At the very least, you should be familiar with firearm safety and the local gun laws. When I first got my LTCH, I only carried around the house and with an empty chamber. Once I got to the point where the weight on my hip was reminder to stay aware, and not a distraction, I started carrying more.

Sadly, my workplace is a GFZ, so I don't EDC, and fortunately I'm not required to frequent areas where I'm likely to need a firearm. But I am no longer uncomfortable at all with Pocket carrying my CPX2 (With trigger holster) when headed out to a crowd, or into unfamiliar territory. Building confidence is important. Classes and Shooting Sports can both help with this tremendously.

my :twocents:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Like gungirl65, I started carrying a revolver (.38 snub). The heavy DA trigger pull helped me feel comfortable while carrying it. I recently switched to a semi-auto. At first, the really (relatively) light trigger pull on the semi made me nervous at first. So, I continued carrying the revolver while out, but carried the semi at home, unloaded. "Carrying" it at home helped me feel comfortable. Fairly quickly, I switched to carrying it with a loaded mag but no round in the chamber. Pretty soon, I just carried it with a loaded chamber and mag. The "baby steps" method helped me to feel comfortable until I was ready to carry in public.

Top Bottom