• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The "FBI" in "FBI cant" stands for "forward body index", as in the holster cants toward the front of your body. 15° is pretty common, but there's no set standard and it has nothing to do with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

You're going to try to convince me that my SIG 238 in SAS configuration isn't carried by the Special Air Services next, right?

:dunno:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I appendix carry my LCR, and when I carry my 3rd gen smiths they are usually in a shoulder rig at horizontal, or how the OWB holster came.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mine was a unique problem.
    I was blessed with an extremely long barrel. So when I tried to conceal it, it was a hard task to master.
    At 3:00 to 3:30 my tip would stick out by my butt cheek like I had a tail. So low that when I sat down, it would push up and try to unholster itself. Used a hybrid but it needed to raise the gun up more than the adjustments allowed. I had the holster shell raised and refitted to get some more adjustment.

That did it. With the gun now raised to a comfortable level, I could canter to an acceptable way so the grip is maxed forward not to print and the barrel maxed back enough to hide and for me to function normally.

It's so comfortable now that I sometimes don't remember I'm wearing it.
    Conceal Carry my angle is about 25-30 degrees.

Now when I Open Carry, I just let everyone see my truly magnificent gift.
    I still have a slight angle at about 15 degrees when OCing.

This is actually the first time I've ever measured it..............the angle that is. :naughty:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Mine was a unique problem.
    I was blessed with an extremely long barrel. So when I tried to conceal it, it was a hard task to master.
    At 3:00 to 3:30 my tip would stick out by my butt cheek like I had a tail. So low that when I sat down, it would push up and try to unholster itself. Used a hybrid but it needed to raise the gun up more than the adjustments allowed. I had the holster shell raised and refitted to get some more adjustment.

That did it. With the gun now raised to a comfortable level, I could canter to an acceptable way so the grip is maxed forward not to print and the barrel maxed back enough to hide and for me to function normally.

It's so comfortable now that I sometimes don't remember I'm wearing it.
    Conceal Carry my angle is about 25-30 degrees.

Now when I Open Carry, I just let everyone see my truly magnificent gift.
    I still have a slight angle at about 15 degrees when OCing.

This is actually the first time I've ever measured it..............the angle that is. :naughty:

Lol

My barrel is 4", but I tell everyone it's 8".

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't cant,
    When it's inside my pant.
    I cant when,
    It's outside my pant.
    It's not that I can't cant,
    When it's inside my pant.
    It's just that I don't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I prefer a forward cant, especially with a larger pistol. The range of motion to clear a longer barrel is more natural and requires less shoulder movement. With a 3" barrel a straight drop holster is fine. I also find the cant works well with the natural inclination to hunch your shoulders and drop your head as a standard startle response to a sudden threat. A larger grip is also easier to conceal with the cant. My ideal holster has a slight scoop in the front and a slight forward cant, the Askins Avenger style with a low cut front, basically. I push slightly forward on the gun as I draw so that as it clears it pops forward, reducing wasted upward motion.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Is there an OWB horizontal holster for full size 1911 that you would recommend?

Two good holsters I've tried are DeSantis Speed Scabbard and the Galco Combat Master. The Galco had a permanent cant and was the most comfortable holsters I've ever used. Carried a SR1911, SA Loaded and DW CCO all in that holster and they all carried very nicely. The DeSantis has holes to carry it straight, or at a cant, which makes it nice to decide which carries best for you. I used that holster to carry a full size Sig Legion very comfortably. Both are leather holsters.

Top Bottom