• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Thank you all for such good information! I will have to get on PSA email list, I might have to use some of my tax return on a build kit, or save some back until they go on sale again. If i had the cash avaliable I would get the kit posted by Mvician.

Thanks again guys! I love INGO:ingo:

2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    IM pretty much in the same predicament and feel I should buy first to get aquainted with taking it apart and putting it together. Any suggestions as to what brands to look for and which ones to steer away ftom ?

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    IM pretty much in the same predicament and feel I should buy first to get aquainted with taking it apart and putting it together. Any suggestions as to what brands to look for and which ones to steer away ftom ?

This is what I chose as well. I thought it would be best if I had a working one that I could reference during my build. I went with a Sig Sauer enhanced M400. Colt has really good quality and a fairly low price tag if you're patient and wait for a deal. I have not heard of anyone disappointed with a PSA either.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Federal excise tax on firearms is 11%. So a $100 lower tax is $11. Built rifle at $800 tax is $88. You can buy a lot of parts for $77. Don't beat me up over tax evasion. Just saying.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Bought my first (YHM) and built two afterwards. What a great experience and education I received! It was an absolute blast to build them both, but I ended up spending more than I anticipated. Purchasing parts and then deciding I wanted something else (or something else I wanted finally came back in stock somewhere) was definitely a hassle, but am glad I ended up building it exactly the way i wanted them to be.

I would say to buy your first (maybe even a used one from a LGS to save some loot), but you can always build one piece by piece as time/money allows you.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Once I get the finances straight, I plan on buying then building as well. I'm putting in for double shifts during peak season at FedEx so I will be able to get myself a nice Christmas present :):

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    How mechanically inclined are you? Costs aside, If you are good at tinkering on things, then building one is a neat winter project. If, however, you are inclined to accidently punch holes in the wall while hanging a picture, I would suggest just buying one. I have one that I built and one that I bought and the one I built means more to me.

TNT5315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    Morgan county
    I went ahead and built my first one because I have to know how things work. I feel like in understand my ar better than most of my friends who have owned the for years.

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    How mechanically inclined are you? Costs aside, If you are good at tinkering on things, then building one is a neat winter project. If, however, you are inclined to accidently punch holes in the wall while hanging a picture, I would suggest just buying one. I have one that I built and one that I bought and the one I built means more to me.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, Like Bauerr3 above you I need to get finances straight. I had some cash saved up and was contemplating purchasing a stripped lower but I decided to get some reloading equipment so I am in a better situation to feed said AR once it gets built. Again thank you all for the info!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom