• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    My personal dog - HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper became only the 20th Chesapeake Bay Retriever in history to achieve 500 HRC points today

4052084d.jpg

cadc7970.jpg

05aba68f.jpg

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Very handsome dog. Why don't you explain what that means for us city folk?

Basically its "pretend hunt" set up so that all the dogs entered compete on the same level. ie - every dog gets the same test. It takes 100 points in retriever tests to recieve a Hunting Retriever Champion Title (HRCH).

The UH stands for Upland Hunter Champion which requires 40 points in upland tests, these points do not count toward your 100 for the HRCH, but they do count toward your cumulative point total.

A finished level retriever test consists of a triple mark, a blind, a diversion, and an honor on land and then again on water. If you get thru all this with no mistakes esentially, you earn a pass, worth 15 points. (you can do the math). The dog must remain steady to wing and shot, and not move until released to do so. He must handle on his blinds with no more than basically one cast and/or whistle refusal.

the upland test consists of hunting, finding, and flushing 2 upland birds, a walk up, and an honor. Again dog must remain steady to wing and shot, and not chase birds ect once they flush, and remain steady as the birds are killed and not retrieve them until released to do so. these are worth 10 points per pass.

500 point is a recognized milestone for these dogs. Again, as I said, there are only 20 chesapeakes in history to have reached it.

Thats kind of the "nut shell" version of what goes on, theres a lot more to it, but it would take me days to type it all up.....LOL.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Great job Josh! :yesway:

I don't think the average person realizes the commitment and hard work it takes to get a dog at a level to be able to compete in field trial events, let alone be successful and reach a milestone like your dog Cooper has.

Congrats! :rockwoot:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Congratulations. Like one of the previous posters mentioned I am happy that my dogs pee outside.

I love to watch a hunting dog work, it is so cool. I hunted quail once in Oklahoma with dogs and the dogs were the best part of the whole thing.

That is a fine looking dog.

Terry

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hold your head up high.I would not consider it bragging.It is an accomplishment rarely achieved through much hard work,practice,and time.

You earned it for sure.Congratulations on achieving such a high standard and raising the bar a notch.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Cooper is an awesome dog.

I remember him sitting in Josh's truck with the windows down like a kid while Josh shot Friday Night Steel.

Great work Josh!

Top Bottom