• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Centerfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Too many low altitude exits from jets and boom toys for me I guess.
    It rarely bothers me... until I read threads about it.
    A fan at bedtime does help, but I worry I won't hear an intruder.
    Had to put one cell phone on vibrate, just couldn't hear the ring.

Avoid loud noises? Can't be done, I'm married!

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a ringing in both ears but I guess it isn’t too bad because most of the time I don’t notice it unless I think about it for some reason, then I hear it. Then again, maybe I’m just used to it. It started in my early twenties (25 years ago) with unprotected handgun fire. I used protection while target shooting but most of the damage was done when our hunting trips would turn into an impromptu afternoon of plinking.

An older fellow I used to work with had tinnitus or meniers and would fuss about it daily. I guess because of his complaining I have never mentioned it to my family.

Bucky

Last edited:

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    tinnitus

This explains the crickets I have been hearing for 20 years! I never hear total silence! I fall asleep with that sound and in the summer months I never know if its real or just in my head!

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Have had it in both ears for some time now. Sometimes it's so loud, it's all I can hear. From March to October i spend 8+ hours a day in a Bobcat. Tried using ear muffs but it seemed to make it louder when I had them on. I've kinda gotten used to it now. Don't really notice it as much now until it gets quiet.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    I have ringing for 30+ years . Shooting farming, punch presses and ect. I ware hearing aids now. Both ears hear some better but still same ringing.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I use a fan when I am trying to sleep...
    It helps...
    Drives the wife nuts though...

When I was young and invincible, I did a little too much :rockwoot: and a bit o :ar15:without proper protection.

Got married, wife had been sleeping with a fan for years...drove me nuts at first.

Many years later, now that the stupidity of my youth has caught up, my tinnitus is bad, I can't sleep without the fan.

I pretty much have to have some kind of background noise not to notice it...I can almost always hear it if I think about it.

I definitely could stand to address most of the items on that list...thanks for posting....though I've seen it...reminders help :D

Good luck to all...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've had tinnitus in my right ear for about 30 years now. Sometimes it is the high pitched ring and other times it sounds like a TV set tuned in between channels. The cause ............................7x57 Mauser discharged over my right shoulder when I was in my early 20's. Never let an idiot borrow one of your guns. (0% hearing loss in that ear and 25% loss in the left. If only I had a nickle for every time I've said "WHAT?"

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Geez louise! Am I the only person here who wears earplugs to the range/rock concerts/work? I swear...you guys. :cool:

Actually I started wearing hearing protection the first time I went to a rock concert and couldn't hear right afterwards. I had a hearing test at school the nest day and the lady told me that once you lose it, it never comes back. Being a musician, that scared the pants off of me. :D Never been without it since. :yesway:

Top Bottom