• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I believe NRA is the big dog and people listen when it barks. I am a life member of NRA, a member of GOA and a LCHG holder, I often tire of the requests for donations, 2nd Amendment Task Force, Friends of NRA, NRA ILA, etc but I support the organization because I believe it's our lifeblood and they NEED our money to do what they do. Join GOA but stay with the NRA. Just one man's opinion.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just wondering how everyone else feels about the NRA right now? What do we need to do so that they can hear us? Is it time to drop them and move to other more worthy organizations such as the GOA? Your thoughts?

Life member. I don't see any reason to "drop" membership in the big dog organisation of gun politics. You can still join any of these up start groups. NRA isn't exclusive. I'm always suspicious of people and organisations who's main purpose seems to be claiming to be "just as good as they are" or complaining about something another group is doing. It's kind of like a guy with a shovel claiming he could accomplish twice as much as the other guy if only he had a bulldozer too.

You never hear Remington claiming their shotguns are just as good as a Mossberg.

You never hear the dozer guy claiming he can move just as much dirt as the shovel guy.

You never hear the NRA claiming they could do more on capital hill if only GOA members would quit and join them.

There's a theme going here, sure sign yer an ineffectual little guy wanna be is to follow the Big Dog on the block around with a nose up their butt talking about what ever little dog wishes big dog would do. Little dog always shows up after all the work is done, takes a little squirt and talks about how they would have done it different or better.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    1934, 1968, 1986, 2010 and arguably 1994... I'd say the track record is pretty clear, we can't.

The nra works to support hunting and limited concealed carry, in the process they subvert the Constitution by throwing EVERYTHING ELSE under the bus of compromise. THAT is why the anti-gunners push the nra name and not any of the others.

Ignorance is the only reason people stay a member. Seriously what sort of simpleton chooses there gun (or gun group) based on the words of sarah brady? Think about it.

Why do you continue to either lie or let yourself remain ignorant about this. I, and several others, have repeatedly corrected your misinformation about the NRA's involvement in these bills.

You are wrong. Do some actual research.

To everyone else:

If you want to help the second amendment the first thing to do is join the NRA. Their influence is directly related to their numbers. The more members they have the more influence they have. If you like some of these other organizations you should join them as well. You don't have to pick and choose. Join them all if you want. It is just particularly important that pro-NRA people become NRA members.

Oh, and don't believe anything Prometheus says about the NRA.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You are wrong. Do some actual research.

Your ignorance is no excuse for YOUR lies. Do the research yourself.

Plenty out there from the NRA itself to d@mn the organization.

The REAL NRA
    I can think of a multitude of reasons not to join the NRA. One among the top reasons, is that they are not a '2nd Amendment Rights' organization. The NRA has been behind most of the gun control legislation.

Wow, that's incredible and hard to believe you say. Surely that man must be nuts. Well, if you enjoy firearms history like I do, please do some reading.

The NRA has 'covertly' worked in the past to take away 2nd Amendment Rights. That's a cold hard fact.

The NRA helped craft the 1934 NFA act, the 1968 Gun Control Act just to name a few. These laws help restrict the 2nd Amendment.

The NRA tried unsuccessfully to scuttle a rare 2nd Amendment victory -- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that D.C.’s gun ban violates the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Quote:
    The attorneys involved in litigating the case have stated that the NRA acted as an obstruction. Attorney Alan Gura has commented on the NRA's "sham litigation" to have Parker consolidated with NRA controlled litigation, and stated that "the NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to hear the case".[6] Cato Institute senior fellow Robert Levy, co-counsel to the Parker plaintiffs, has stated that the Parker plaintiffs "faced repeated attempts by the NRA to derail the litigation."[7]

What kind of gun right organization actively undermines a case so important to gun ownership nationwide?

Quote:
    "The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

—NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth
    NRA's American Rifleman Magazine, March 1968, P. 22
    Quote:
    "The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. ... NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." —American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 22
    Now in 2007, the NRA has joined forces with the very people who would love to disarm American's -- the Brady Campaign. Who helped craft H.R. 2640? Why Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and FORMER NRA BOARD MEMBER Rep. John Dingell (D-MI).

The NRA currently has on its board of directors, Joaquin Jackson, who was caught on video stating the mere civilians shouldn't be able to own magazines that hold more than 5 rounds.

And just this past weekend on CNN Glen Beck show, the chief lobbyist for the NRA Chris Cox publicly stated that the NRA has never supported fully automatic firearms. <see below>

Why would the NRA keep surrendering on every piece of legislation that comes down the pike? Perhaps they forgot about the “shall not be abridged" part of the Amendment and think it says 'compromised away'.

-------------
    The NRA's Role In Creation of the 1934 National Firearms Act

Congressional hearings over the National Firearms Act of 1934 (H.R.9066) took place April 16 & 18 and May 14, 15, & 16 of 1934. Then-NRA President Karl T. Frederick testified on behalf of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

NFA'34 is the foundation for all federal gun control and has been used in courts to justify many state gun controls -- and gun control is clearly about disarmament.

Example of NRA President's Testimony:

Quote:
    MR. FREDERICK: ... "I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses"

This should be required reading by all gun owners. It will help you understand the genesis of all the nations restrictions on firearms occurred -- the NRA.

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

----------

1968 Gun Control Act and the NRA

Plus to be honest, the only reason there was the a 1968 Gun Control Act is because the NRA supported its creation. Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) actually drafted the 1968 bill and the NRA endorsed it.

Quote:
    1968 General Franklin Orth, Executive Vice President of NRA, testifies before Congress in favor of the Gun Control Act (GCA'68) that "[NRA does] not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States," /2/ (a ban on the mail-order sale of firearms). His statement of NRA support generates heated opposition from the (presumably insane) portion of the NRA membership, creating split between "sportsmen" and "hardliners."
    2007: NRA's current position on machine gun ownership - your screwed.

Here is the transcript of NRA's spokesman Chris Cox on the CNN Glen Beck Show (October 5, 2007) showing stating:

Quote:
    BECK: Chris, are you for fully automatic machine guns?

COX: We`ve never advocated fully automatic machine guns and Paul knows it. But, again, Glenn, this is very basic. It`s --
    Who is Chris Cox?

Chris Cox is the 'Executive Director', the NRA Institute for Legislative Action , the political and lobbying arm of the National Rifle Association

What is interesting is that federal law allows for private ownership of machine guns for a qualified individual. However in 2007, the NRA (a supposed 2nd Amendment Rights organization) feels that you should not have that right. The NRA supported the creation of the 1934 NFA Act which put the restrictions on machine guns, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns in the first place.

Sources:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../05/gb.01.html
    NRA-ILA :: Chris Cox's Political Report -- John Kerry and the Second Amendment

So why on God's green earth would firearm collectors want to support an organization that seems dedicated to removing an inalienable Right to own firearms?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I served three terms on the NRA Board of Directors and I'm the first to admit that they don't always get it right. I held my nose plenty of times when voting on various issues where we had to choose the lesser of two evils.

The the simple fact is that if it weren't for the NRA every person on this board, decades ago, would have either surrendered their firearms to the government or would have been murdered for refusing to do so.

If you don't want those things to happen in the future you stay with the NRA.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I served three terms on the NRA Board of Directors and I'm the first to admit that they don't always get it right. I held my nose plenty of times when voting on various issues where we had to choose the lesser of two evils.

The the simple fact is that if it weren't for the NRA every person on this board, decades ago, would have either surrendered their firearms to the government or would have been murdered for refusing to do so.

If you don't want those things to happen in the future you stay with the NRA.

If you have served on the board of the NRA how about putting your real name on this board? If you have been that powerful in the organization you should have nothing to hide. When I go to view your public profile I would like to see your real name.

Perhaps you have and perhaps you have not served on the board. I hope that you would not make false claims but this is the internet. I try to not make accusations on here but there are many members on here that claim to be or to do something they are not or cannot do.

If it would not be too out of line I would like to see your name and when it was you served on the board of directors.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Thanks for the information. I hate to doubt folks, but every now and then on here and other places on the net misinformation happens. I am by nature skeptical, call it a character flaw.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For those that say the NRA is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and not to leave it. Stop and think about this. That 800 lb gorilla was not "born" that way. It too at one time was a baby gorilla that did not weight 800 lbs. So it **IS** possible to grow a new 800+ lb gorilla that is more 'tamed' to a TRUE PRO-2A stance. It won't happen overnight but will occur if we stop feeding the current 800 lb gorilla and start "fathering/mothering" and "growing" the next 800 lb gorilla from the start.

When I think of the NRA this comes to mind.
    First they came for the "Assault Style Rifles", and I did not speak out - because I
    did not own an "Assault Style Rifle".
    Then they cam for the handguns, and I did not speak out - becuase I did not own a
    handgun.
    They they came for the shotguns, and I did not speak out - becuase I did not own a
    shotgun.
    Then thet came for hunting rifle - and there was no one left to speak out for me an
    owner of a hunting rifle.

--update--
    I am currenlty an NRA member but not sure if I plan to renew at the end of this year. May end up using that $$ to pay dues in another gun organzation instead.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For the people who want every one to drop their membership in the big club and join their new little one, go ahead.:rolleyes:

Oh, I just noticed, a lot of guys wanting some one else to quit the NRA aren't NRA members. They know all about the NRA, they know what the NRA should be doing, then know what NRA members should be doing but they are not NRA members themselves.:rolleyes:

I ain't from Missouri but go ahead and show me any way.

Instead of talking and telling, just go ahead and do it. Instead of a list of things you don't like about what the NRA has done for you, show me what you and some other also ran organisation has gotton done on capital hill.

I don't mind helping the "talker" organisations when I can but I'm not QUITTING a "DO'ER" organisation just to stand outside and yap at the building.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom