• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Last time I had my eyes checked, it was about 1996. 20/20 in the left eye, 20/40 in the right. Right eye is dominant.

Today I went to the range and sighted in a rifle I'd just put some new irons on. Did fine at 25 yards while I figured out where it was shooting, but once I dialed it in and switched to the 100 yard target... had a 12" black target with a 4" red center, but all I saw was a blurry black blob. No sign of red anywhere.

Needless to say, my "group" was more of a "loose affiliation".

So is it time to bite the bullet and go to Lenscrafters or whoever? You guys with (corrected to) perfect vision, can you make out a target at 100 yards better than I've described?

I understand glasses will likely run several hundred dollars, and the only reason I'd do it is for shooting (driving/reading/etc. is still just fine), so I'd like to know if it's worthwhile to do.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My right eye is 20/25 (astigmatism) and even THAT was worth it. I can't imagine not being able to see 4" of red at 100 yards (which I can do easily at 100 yards without correction).

Try Costco. Wal Mart is ok too. I avoid Ossip ever since my first eye exam and the utterly crappy glasses I paid nearly $400 for. Nowhere near that at Costco.

I'm really missing my 20/13 vision that I had when I was young.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should have your eyes checked regularly (at least every two years) whether you need glasses or not. Glaucoma (and other eye diseases) can creep up easily and are not always detected by the family doctor. As for the glasses, you can always get the script at Walmart or Ossip and then have it filled on the internet for cheap (like twenty bucks, in some cases). Spasmo and L'il Spas do this with theirs and have never had a problem.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    You should have your eyes checked regularly (at least every two years) whether you need glasses or not. Glaucoma (and other eye diseases) can creep up easily and are not always detected by the family doctor. As for the glasses, you can always get the script at Walmart or Ossip and then have it filled on the internet for cheap (like twenty bucks, in some cases). Spasmo and L'il Spas do this with theirs and have never had a problem.

+1 just did this exactly,$55 exam at walmart,took my prescription and went shopping for glasses.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How do you folks with age related far-sightedness deal with sighting? Like those of us who wear reading glasses to read, but take them off for everything else. It seems like it would be tough to have a clear sight picture from the rear sight to the front sight to the target.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Whoever says that you need to spend hundreds on glasses is plain silly. My eyes are really bad and I could get several pair for that (if I wasn't trying to go for fashion brands). I've been looking at some of these http://www.zennioptical.com/?pd_nav=single&frm_type[]=727, pretty similar to the shooting glasses I wear now (2nd from the bottom in the first row, should be #702412).

I've got a pretty bad astigmatism in both eyes and as a kid, I was shot in the left eye with a home made bow and arrow. Without glasses or contacts, I'd be lucky to see a 4' circle at 50 yards. I've shot with my 3-4 year old glasses with no problem but prefer shooting with my contacts as they're more current. With contacts, I don't have much of a problem making out a 4" object at 100 yards. My issue is more with depth perception with glasses (not so much with contacts).

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Fletch, you are on a slipery slope my friend.

(Edit: slipery slope as in you're going to be really happy or really frustrated depending on what happens next).

I am in my 49th year on this earth, my eyes aren't what they were 12 years ago when I was shooting Highpower every other weekend. 2 years ago I got "readers". Last year I got contact lenses.

I had the opposite experience at Ossip that Kludge had. I went in and told the Doc I needed my right eye to focus @ 26" - the sight radius of my M1-A. She did a pretty good job, the groups are good but not High Master good. I still think I can get it a little better but I'm only a year into the effort.

I'm not necessarily telling you to go get contact lenses, they are a PITA. What I am telling you is to be very specific with the Doc about what you want your correction to do. Also, you want them to measure the distance between the center of your eyes, it's called Pupil Distance or PD. The online stores will want to know what it is when you order.

Good luck..

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Get them checked, especially if you have blood sugar issues. For that matter, get your sugar checked; it can sneak up on you. I had bad sugar issues, since resolved, and my eyes were awesome at my last exam.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You can have retinal melanoma as well so it's good to get checked regularly. Your family doctor really isn't trained for picking up most eye issues. That's why optometrists and ophthalmologists spend some much time in training.

Often your medical insurance will cover the exam if it's done by MD ophtho guy but you may need a medical diagnosis to file it under. They will charge you a premium for prescription though as it's not their routine.

I'm waiting 18 months for laser surgery for financial Goal reasons. I can't wait. I'm -5.50 on my left and -4.50 on my right. Good vision upon waking is kinda critical I think.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I had my eyes checked

Durn...they were always so pretty being solid blue.
    rimshot.gif

Call around and find out how they'll test things out for you at 100 yds.
    My eye doc will take the case of lenses and doc-crap to the range and let you sight in on your target and start the test from that. If you need bifocals or other, your eye relief is measured and the lens marked, in order to grind the progression in a way that aids view through a scope lens.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't be shy about letting the Eye Doc know your needs. I didn't mention my shooting hobby and it suffered after the new glasses.
    I went back and got it resolved but I wasted some $$ and a couple of months in the process.
    My accuracy is up along with the fact I can see again. I'm 62 and my old eyes needed a little help but A-1 again.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just to make you all feel better I WISH I had 20/40 even corrected vision. I have 20/100 best possible correction in my good eye 20/200(or the same as what a 20/20 person sees at 200yd i see at 20) without its 20/200 and 20/EE.
    I personally use walmart for glasses as I can get them repaired anywhere I go cheaply and they have some pretty good glass as you can get zeiss or nikon make the lenses. Now i go to a actually eye doc for my checkup almost twice yearly and have prescription done there.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    gregkl -- I'm in the same boat, and wear bi-focals (bottom for up-close reading and the uppers for computer). The upper is also just right for front sight (clear on a pistol & pretty close on a rifle); I just put my clear front sight on the fuzzy target; works fine for IDPA & cowboy. -- Grizhicks

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    gregkl -- I'm in the same boat, and wear bi-focals (bottom for up-close reading and the uppers for computer). The upper is also just right for front sight (clear on a pistol & pretty close on a rifle); I just put my clear front sight on the fuzzy target; works fine for IDPA & cowboy. -- Grizhicks

Thanks! It was for pistol that I am mostly concerned and possibly IDPA when I try it.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    Last time I had my eyes checked, it was about 1996. 20/20 in the left eye, 20/40 in the right. Right eye is dominant.

I was like you, only I think my last eye doctor appt was back in the '80s. With my current employer I now have vision insurance (a first) and went for an exam. One eye is nearsighted one eye farsighted, plus I have astigmatism.

When I got my glasses I realized THAT was how I should have been seeing the world all these past years. I have the progressive lenses (no line bifocals, shut up miguel :D) and got used to them in about 24 hours.

Try to save up your pennies if you can, it's definitely worth it...not just for the shooting but for your eye health and vision in general.

Readers will hot help with the astigmatism, as I learned after getting prescription glasses.

Top Bottom