• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The tiny ones are deer ticks. They are about the size of the head of a pin. I've had them on my cats so small that I had to use a magnifying glass and tweezers to make sure it was a bug and not dirt as I pulled them off. The orange kitty had them around his eyes, ears, nose and mouth constantly. They showed up really well on him than the darker cats. The deer ticks are the main ones known for carrying Lyme disease.

Great... :( Hope mine weren't carriers! Weird that I'd never seen that type before. Usually I get the ones that are about 1/8" in diameter or so.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Great... :( Hope mine weren't carriers! Weird that I'd never seen that type before. Usually I get the ones that are about 1/8" in diameter or so.

Watch for a bullseye rash around where they were latched on. If you see that, get to the doctor and ask for meds. If taken right away, they can treat it. Last symmer, my husband had the fever/chills, etc. that they describe as symptoms but never remembered having any latched on him or a rash. There is always a chance it was in a place he wouldn't see such as his scalp. He felt awful and we told the doctor that he spends a fair amount of time in the woods hunting and such. They tested him and he tested positive. They put him on meds for one round of the treatment. So far, no additional symptoms have appeared and he has been okay since that initial bout. We are far more aware of the ticks though since then.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Your chances of catching a tick borne disease increase significantly after the first 24 hours. There is a chance no matter what, but getting bit doesn't guarantee infection right away, so be sure to check periodically and especially when you get home. Sometimes it is possible to walk into a group of hundreds of the very small nymph stage ticks where they recently hatched out...seems like June or July is when they come out. One time that happened to me, and I saw the spot spreading out, so I bagged my pants in a trash bag and drove home in my underwear heheh. Tape works well to remove the very small ones like that.

Here another vote for permethrin too, it kills ticks dead rather than just repel them.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We got a one acre and a farm house in Perry County...I tell people we have a Tick ranch and we run about 200,000 head on the place....

This year is worse than last year...We may get up to 250,000 head by the time fall rolls around....:):

Be careful, when you have more than 200,000 ticks, you need to get a CAFO permit from IDEM.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well I took the family fishing today... Still no ticks for me? My daughter on the other hand, had them crawling up her legs! I went to the same spot she was in and I got nothing? The only thing I can think of was she put on a metric ton of perfume. Don't ask me why she put on perfume to go fishing, she's 13 and I'm not even trying to understand the teenage female mind!

Top Bottom