• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Here in Peoria IL

That came through here about 11:00 last night. It put me right to sleep. Oh another one's passing here now.

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    I now have a tree that has the barked peeled all the way down one side ..enough of the storms!! Does anybody know if that will kill the tree?

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I now have a tree that has the barked peeled all the way down one side ..enough of the storms!! Does anybody know if that will kill the tree?

I think you have to hug it now? Seriously though you got a picture? If it's not all the way down the tree it should be fine if it is a mature tree.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We leashed the dogs up and ran for County Market a little after 10 last night. We live in a trailer, and the store with it's nice concrete walls is only a couple hundred feet away. I was tracking the storms on radar, and took note of the one with a tornado signature headed our way. Seemed to be a good time for a late evening jaunt :D

It was a bit scary at the store. With the dogs, we sat outside and watched the storm, until a flash of lightening showed a wall of something behind the gas station, and everything there came blowing at us. That's when everybody outside watching seemed to think it may be an appropriate time to go inside. Doors blew open, power went out, sirens going off all over town, lots of fun. Went to check on a friend afterwards, town was a mess. One house had a tree down on it. Got to test my trucks lake forwarding abilities a couple times on flooded streets. Got home, kept cranking the radio to listen to what was going on. Power came on, another storm came up, power went out again. At one point the station had an EAS alert, then another EAS alert interrupted it. We heard the DJ say "that can't be good," then the station went off the air for minute. Wheee!!! LOL.

Gonna have to replace batteries for our lights this payday. These have some use on them now :(

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    This tree is about 30 feet from the house.I couldnt get the whole tree in the pic but the peeling starts at the very top.

S5000091.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I dunno, sometimes a mature tree can be pretty resilient. I know in the old days they used to put tar or paint on the "wounds" to seal them up. I'm sure someone on here will know. Seems as if it got hit by lightning to me, look around for any other evidence.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I dunno, sometimes a mature tree can be pretty resilient. I know in the old days they used to put tar or paint on the "wounds" to seal them up. I'm sure someone on here will know. Seems as if it got hit by lightning to me, look around for any other evidence.

Yup I have one of those resilient trees in my front yard...

Last edited:

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Welp, last night was the weirdest night of weather I can recall in recent memory. I didn't think we would get anything, but around 2145 I decide to sit outside on my patio and watch the lightning show to the north. I had my police radio with me and heard them put out a broadcast for a tornado warning in Montgomery County. Hmmmm. Still doesn't appear to be moving my way so I observe for a bit more and finish my MGD.

15 minutes later they are setting off the sirens and telling people to get down. I gather the wife up and we go down to the "war room" in the basement. I get my radio board going and pull the mosaic up on the computer. Yup, looks nasty. About that time the lights go out. I get the Husky battery pack going running some small things like DSL modem, laptop, and charging my scanner. Then the torrential rain starts. I live in a "damp" area so it's important that my sump pump stay on top of things. I waited a bit long, but went ahead and fired up my ChiCom 1200 watt generator from Big Lots. It's a loud little POS, but I'm proud of it. Ran 7 hours on 3/4 tank of year-old gasoline and powered my sump pump, box fan, Yaesu VHF and power supply, and CCTV. I was impressed with it, even though my basement did get pretty wet.

Top Bottom