• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No one has mentioned the lesson to be learned here, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO STRANGERS. Appears the victim did so because the punk dressed as a girl. Also, keep your yap shut to what you have at home. Be very selective in who you tell what to.

What is this about the punk dressed up like a girl?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The article states one of them dressed up like a girl to put Rodney off his guard. It's a VERY old tactic often used in highway robbery since more people will stop for a female hitchhiker.

I consider myself more aware than most. This gave me pause.
    Would that have taken me off of my game just enough?
    Would a round in the leg have done the same?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The gossip around Lawrence county says that the teens shot Rodney in the leg because the taser didn't slow him down enough and he was winning.

Anyone else hear this?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The gossip around Lawrence county says that the teens shot Rodney in the leg because the taser didn't slow him down enough and he was winning.

Anyone else hear this?

No. But then I don't know any of the people close to the family--only what I've read in the paper.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As I said, I know the family of one of the three young men. We aren't the "go to dinner" friends, but meet at the ball park and school function friends. From the outside looking in it appeared to me the parents and grand parents set good (not perfect - who is?) examples and spent an enormous amount of time with him.

Sorry, but I didn't see that. You answered my question in your reply, though.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    No but it escalates if not properly dealt with. An un-managed teen can be his/her own worst enemy.

I think teens with issues of this magnitude fall into two categories: Narcissist to the point of really having a different thought process than normal people and then drug addiction. Drug addicts can seem perfectly fine, and families will try to hide issues from public view. Some people may only need a fix here and there, while others take one hit and within weeks they are out robbing, killing, doing whatever they can. There aren't many burglaries and home invasion robbers who aren't doing it to get money to get a fix. I think most of your mental narcissist types are those you read about killing their girlfriends, spouses, etc.. They mentally just can't let go. Those who steal usually seem to do so on a smaller scale, like shop lift, buy goods they know are stolen, etc.. To have a small group like this, it would be rare these all three of these guys had some mental issues that made them just decide to rob and kill, not with the upbringing it sounds like some of them had. It makes me think drugs were likely an issue. The whole "I'm invincible!" young adult thought process rarely gets taken to this extreme, because for most there is no reason to engage in such a serious criminal and heinous act that would lead to such repercussions.

An important take away from this is that this man was targeted. He was targeted because he was known to have guns and a safe. We all should learn from that.

Even though this man owned guns, evil people did not fear him and were successful with their crimes against him. We should all learn from that.

People need to keep quite. First off, there really is only so many firearms a person can reasonable ever expect to use. While being able to arm non-gun family members in some sort of total collapse would be nice, the numbers would likely say that many may not even make it to my home if such a situation were to every unfold, which would be a rarity itself. If my friends and family need guns, they need to go out and get them and ask me for training, which I would do for nothing in return. For me personally, there was no longer a reason to hold thousands in firearms that stayed locked in a safe when I had other things that money could be of use for.

So make it known you are no longer a "gun person," then say nothing about guns. If friends/family come over and want to see the safe, show it to them. Show them that it stays unlocked and open, with nothing inside of it. Or when you open the huge safe, have a small fireproof file safe for personal papers, digital camera, laptop, but no guns. Let it be known the guns are gone, and that you are likely going to be selling the safe soon. This will change your profile from gun guy to non-gun guy.

Another thing in this case is that he opened the door to a cross dresser. Now if he knew the kid, thought it was a joke, then opening the door to a family members "friend" would be the normal thing to do. However, if one doesn't know the person, never, ever open the door. Opening the door destroys the security of the castle. I can't believe how many people actually open the door to strangers. First off, even if you have a security door, it still isn't wise to open the door and present yourself. A person can easily shoot through glass, and even if they can't get through a security door, they still might get so angry that they pull their gun and shoot. Talk through the door or get an intercom and camera system.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Here is a Twitter of one of someone who shares the same name as one of the suspects: https://twitter.com/mrhickss I see somewhat of a resemblance in the booking photo, but not really sure. If it is him, that should play well with the jury.

Anymore more information on this case? Can't seem to find any media reports after their initial hearings were held.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Here is a Twitter of one of someone who shares the same name as one of the suspects: https://twitter.com/mrhickss I see somewhat of a resemblance in the booking photo, but not really sure. If it is him, that should play well with the jury.

Anymore more information on this case? Can't seem to find any media reports after their initial hearings were held.
    Regardless of whether or not that kid is one of the suspects he seems like a real "good" kid.

Seriously, if my kid was typing that stuff on the internet I would be ashamed, and pissed.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "Seriously, if my kid was typing that stuff on the internet I would be ashamed, and pissed. '

Some years ago I found some stuff my daughter was posting on Myspace.

Things got real difficult for her!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ran to South Central to shoot the match today. Couldn't help but think of this as I drove buy the gents place (both ways.)

Top Bottom