• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well, after many years of buying and shooting and selling many firearms (about 90% of my posts are in the Classifieds), I have finally gotten to a point where it seems I will have difficulty parting with the three finalists. Each have a history all to themselves, as well as a history for me. Before I describe them, I will give you a few looks.

Enjoy!

29j605.jpg

25re2z9.jpg

j6pz7l.jpg

20mfzk.jpg

5dl755.jpg

1. The Smith and Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece (1961 Vintage)

There is nothing more classic than the Smith & Wesson K-Frame .38! The bluing and craftsmanship on the older guns speaks a language all its own! I came across this beauty at my local gun store (Blythe's in Valparaiso, IN) among a handful of other classic revolvers. This pistol came complete with target grips and the wide target trigger. The hammer and trigger are color case hardened and everything just screams quality. It is iconic and is a joy to hold, to shoot, and simply to admire for its simple statement to the world.

2. The Colt Python- 6-inch Barrel- Royal Blue (1979 Vintage)

This revolver has become quite popular as of late considering the masses who enjoy "The Walking Dead" and want to feel the same zombie-slaying power in their hands as the main character of that iconic series. The sexiness of this revolver is unrivaled. Purely and simply, it is gorgeous. These are no longer made and reflect one of the last production guns produced by craftsmen whose hands did the work in a world where computers would one day dominate along with "the bottom line." They will never be made again to any standard even approaching what I behold before me. There is no way they can recreate this mythological animal ever again. The tooling is gone, the craftsmen are dead, and the company is in deep decline.

3. The Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 (2014 Vintage)

I have realized in my firearms journey that I am not primarily a rifleman. I tend to buy nice rifles, kit them out, zero them in, put them in the safe, and sell them. Just my way. I do, however, love handguns. When I began my journey into firearms back in 1997 or so, I used to subscribe to American Handgunner magazine. Inside each magazine, there would be, without fail, an advertisement of Les Baer Custom displaying many of their wares. At that time, the Thunder Ranch Special, designed with input from Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch/ Gunsite fame, was fairly new and advertisements would feature photos of Clint "aiming in" around a barrier with his Thunder Ranch and that image of a man and his 1911 became etched into my mind. I always wanted one, and upon selling my last rifle project off, I decided to plop down the money and grab one. To say it is beautiful or accurate or well made would be an understatement similar to saying Obama is a bit out of his element as President of these United States. It is, quite simply, the best 1911 I have ever held in my hands. When one feels the fineness of the hand cut checkering or of the hand fit slide/ frame, it is quite obvious why they cost what they do.

These three guns reflect an appreciation that comes from having purchased, held, shot, and sold countless firearms over almost two decades. I have come to appreciate blued steel and wood over plastics and rubber. I yearn for iconic quality over practical tactical. I have gratitude for the masters who can sit at a bench and turn steel and wood into functional art.

And I am sure I am not alone. Clarity comes with grey hair. Hope you enjoyed a glimpse into my world.

Vanguard.45

Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks. Yeah, without finding a deal and having a great wife, I most certainly could not have afforded the Python. They just keep going up and up.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    What no Glock! Blasphemous! :runaway:
    Just kidding. Super sweet guns. I love my Les Baer Stinger 45.
    Surprised to see 2 revolvers in a 3 gun narrowed down set.
    Python, of course, very nice
    Les Baer, well duh!
    S&W 38.... meeh... nice gun, but 38's just leave me flat for some reason.
    I'd replace the Smith with a Belgian High Power, but that's just me

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Completely understand the love for the Hi-Power. I have owned two of them. Great pistols.

As to the Smith .38, I grew up watching police shows and movies where the heroes carried such guns. They have low capacity, are heavy and big, and are slower to shoot than more modern striker fired guns. No doubt. I guess I just admire the fact that the police used these weapons to enforce the law for generations and it was enough back then. Still effective today, even if less so than the modern alternatives.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Gorgeous. I'm a total stainless guy, especially when it comes to revolvers, but DANG if there's not something breathtaking about a classic blued S&W K-Frame with nice wood grips. I think your list is solid.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Three to be proud of! I too have started selling off a lot of my pistols as I am really getting down to the ones I just cant handle letting go. There is something very gratifying to be able to say, I have three pistols that mean something to me and are all of very high quality!

In a year or two, I may just create a similar thread to yours...

Congrats on three fine looking pistols!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the kind words from you both. No doubt the GLOCKS and SIGs and M&Ps and HKs are more effective for many reasons. I guess I have just come to the point where having iconic guns is nice and they can be used to "do the dance" if and when the balloon goes up just like they used to be. Thanks again for commenting.

Last edited:

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Beautiful guns! While polymer guns do have their place, as you said there is just something about a hand fit blued steel handgun. When multiple pieces of steel are fit together so well they feel like one piece, it is a functional work of art in my opinion as well as a skill that is ever decreasing these days.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words from you both. No doubt the GLOCKS and SIGs and M&Ps and HKs are more effective for many reasons. I guess I have just come to the point where having iconic guns is nice and they can be used to "do the dance" if and when the balloon goes up just like they used to be. Thanks again for commenting.
    There used to be a time in my life where a vast majority of guns that were available for purchase were of the species of firearms that you have presented in the OP. Tactical, polymer types were just not in the realm of consideration back then. I do indeed miss those days at times and opine for the firearms that I used to know.

Top Bottom