Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Excellent! This weekend the government is beginning to release over 6000 non-violent drug prisoners. Releasing these folks from onerous prison sentences will go a long way towards making us not look worse than Soviet Russia and their gulag system. This is a good start and should be continued for as long as it takes to put a significant dent in the US prison population.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eased-early-are-heading-home-starting-friday/

Found it interesting that Chief Hite in Indy apparently doesn't know what's actually going on. Equating non violent drug offenders with violent criminals shows he's a bit clueless. Here's a hint chief, they aren't letting the violent ones out. They'll be serving their sentences.

Thousands of inmates released under new sentencing guidelines - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I haven't read all the posts, here, BUT I heard on the radio, that some of these, aren't as NON-Violent, as "they" would let you believe .....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why am I not surprised that they quickly ran out of simple drug offenders and now are releasing some pretty violent and dangerous individuals. So, here are some of the "non-violent" drug prisoners of the California "gulag" that are now back out on the streets. The DA wrote opposition letters on each of these and more, but it is more important to allow these people out than to protect the public.

Victor “Chunky” Montez – A known gang member with a violent criminal history including voluntary manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon, and resisting arrest as well as drug transportation/possession and ammunition possession convictions. He was also found to be in possession of a large cache of firearms. Montez has been in and out prison since the 1980s, violating parole seven times. Opposition Letter

Deshawn Fisher – Prior convictions include voluntary manslaughter. In the prior offense, Fisher and his co-defendant tried to rob a group of men at gunpoint as they played cards in front of a house. Two men were shot, one died. In prison, Fisher committed battery on inmates, participated in riots, engaged in mutual combat, and threatened an officer’s life among other violent behavior. He violated parole twice by being in possession of firearms, ammunition and drugs. Opposition Letter

James Allen West – Committing offense is assault with a deadly weapon by means of force likely to cause great bodily injury. West beat the victim unconscious, punching and kicking him in the head wearing steel toed boots. Past convictions include violent assaults and battery with serious bodily injury. One victim was a 75-year-old woman. West beat the other victims until they were unconscious. Opposition Letter

Willie C. Harris – Multiple felony convictions, including a 1985 first-degree burglary strike offense. Since 1999, Harris has had seven DUI and driving with a suspended license convictions and a reckless DUI conviction. His committing offense was felony DUI where his blood alcohol level was .17, more than twice the legal limit. At the time of that offense, he was on parole for a 2008 DUI conviction where he had a .19 blood alcohol level. Opposition Letter

Vanessa Santos – Prior convictions include two assaults with a deadly weapon. Santos stabbed one victim in the arm with a knife. Nine days later, she stabbed another victim in the leg with a knife and kicked the victim repeatedly when she was on the ground, causing great bodily injury. Santos was most recently convicted for driving recklessly through a residential area with willful disregard in an attempt to evade officers. Opposition Letter

Kevin James Rodriguez – Since 2001, Rodriguez has been convicted of felony domestic violence, felony assault with a deadly weapon and stalking charges, and false imprisonment. He stalked, harassed and abused his girlfriend. He chased her down with his car, almost causing her to crash, and held her and her daughter hostage in their own home, terrorizing them. In 2013, he was a parolee-at-large and led police on a high speed chase with wanton disregard for the safety of the public or officers. Opposition Letter

and 44 others.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I thought our prisons were bursting at the seams with folks convicted of just trying to buy a joint. Looks like the prisons would be half empty and talk of shutting the other half down before we had to start releasing folks convicted of violent crimes. Maybe this is why Obama is fearless about letting unvettable refugees into the country--how much worse could they be.
    Why am I not surprised that they quickly ran out of simple drug offenders and now are releasing some pretty violent and dangerous individuals. So, here are some of the "non-violent" drug prisoners of the California "gulag" that are now back out on the streets. The DA wrote opposition letters on each of these and more, but it is more important to allow these people out than to protect the public.

and 44 others.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This is literally incredible... that someone living in 2015 knowing what is known could write this.

Sure. The prisoners were in Siberian labor camps or gold mines, getting starvation rations in subzero conditions, and got to go out to the building sites, lumber camps or mines.

God our prisons are truly hellholes compared to that. Too bad Solzhenitsyn didn't get to experience an American prison, or he wouldn't have been such an annoying whiner.

And of course once (if) you got out of the GULAG, it was all rainbows and unicorns. 'Welcome back comrade.' Your life resumed its previous happy-go-lucky pace.

Sounds like something one might read in Pravda back in the day. Happy Soviet prisoners, miserable American victims of rapacious capitalism.

So a television, a few better rations, and being locked up is no big deal?

I wish we could have this conversation from a neutral standpoint. Instead of assuming it's normal to be put in prison for possessing a particular plant, chemical, or retail item, let's ask why it's rational to imprison people who possess those particular things or put them in your body. And why aren't we including other self-harming people in prison: a young dad who is so addicted to video games he doesn't get up and go to work in the morning, an alcoholic who has destroyed his own liver, someone who smoked himself into a million dollar cancer treatment bill.

Or how about all those obese people who just won't put down the sugar and burger, even though they can't get up and play with their kids, or they miss work regularly due to obesity-related illness? What if we made their harmful calorie intake illegal ?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

One of the reasons we need to stop incarcerating nonviolent offenders is to have the resources focused on these guys who are actually violent.

I would argue that if we did not have the "war on drugs" some of these young men might not end up as criminals to begin with.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Wait just a minute here, are some of you guys trying to tell me that the liberals lied?? No ****ing way, I mean no ****ing way.

I'm shocked to learn that our prisons aren't overflowing with otherwise innocent, productive members of society who were entrapped into possessing 3mg of a green, leafy plant as they would have us believe. My world just shattered, I don't know which way is up now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom