• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    The sad part about this is gun control in Massachusetts. 100 years ago if the SOB was on the loose, the men in the neighborhood would get together and find the him.

100 years later, you lock your doors and stay with your 9mm in your hand, hoping the police find him. Sad.

Sadly, you are close to the mark. Repped! :xmad:

Although they do love putting footage of shopkeepers shooting robbers whenever that happens.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    The sad part about this is gun control in Massachusetts. 100 years ago if the SOB was on the loose, the men in the neighborhood would get together and find the him.

100 years later, you lock your doors and stay with your head tucked between your legs, hoping the police find him. Sad.

This is what my half baked thought should have sounded like! Thank you.
    MH

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I am glad that they got him but....
    It takes what, about a regiment to root out one (moderately?) trained adversary in an urban setting who's populace is hostile (but mostly unarmed) to that adversary? ***Repeat***I am glad that they got him (and not riddle him with ordinance).
    What amount of assets would it take if a scenario like that that took place in Mumbai would occur? A couple of heavy armored divisions?
    MH

It would have taken fewer assets had the police had access to .50cal machine guns, MK19 grenade launchers, LAW rockets, Hellfire missles, etc. But since the police aren't allowed to have that kind of stuff it takes a little bit more time and a few more people.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is kind of interesting...

"An administration official said Tsarnaev was not read his Miranda rights and could be questioned without them for up to 48 hours under a special legal exception used in cases where public safety is at stake."

'We got him!': Boston bombing suspect captured alive - U.S. News

Contrary to poular belief (from too much tv) An LEO is not required to read a suspect their Miranda rights when they make an arrest, only if/before they are going to Question them.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    It would have taken fewer assets had the police had access to .50cal machine guns, MK19 grenade launchers, LAW rockets, Hellfire missles, etc.
    Good thing. I would like to believe that when our military puts a town under siege, they are a little more organized than what we saw in the Boston area the past 36 hours. If law enforcement had gone into that Watertown neighborhood armed as you describe, how much collateral damage would have been caused? How many civilians would have been killed, injured, or lost their houses?

Most of the video from yesterday just shows police officers standing around. This seems to be the typical cop response to a major incident: call out everyone on the entire force and then stand around with your thumbs hooked in your belts. I remember one video that showed a police operations support vehicle backing out of Franklin Street and it took about four officers to direct the maneuver and most of that was getting other officers to move out of the way.

The upside is that they caught the guy. The folks in Boston can now have some closure to what happened Monday. It won't repair the lives that were shattered by the bombers, but everyone involved can now start putting their worlds back together. What did I hear earlier this week about the three things that matter most to Bostonians? Sports, politics, and revenge. Well, they got their revenge.

Maybe the guy will talk, maybe not. Maybe he'll be treated properly as a civilian or maybe he'll be treated as a military combatant under some double-secret clause that will allow the U.S. government to suspend his rights. Remember that under U.S. law, the accused has rights...unless, it seems, you commit a heinous, high-profile act. Then you can pretty much forget your rights. If the chest-thumping 2A'ers in the group think taking away our guns is bad, wait until they take away our rights to legal representation and our rights to a fair trial.

Oh, yes, the organizers of the Mini Marathon are well aware of what went on in Boston. Steps are being taken to tighten security and heighten everyone's awareness. BTW, the Carmel Marathon is today. Not as big as the Mini or the Boston Marathon, but still...

For now, let's give the Boston Police, the MA State Police, the FBI, and all the boots on the ground some thanks. Maybe it wasn't the prettiest manhunt in history, but they got their guy. If he's proven guilty, he should pay dearly for his crimes. In the meantime, let's also hope that something good comes from what I suspect will be lengthy after-action reports.

P.S. What were DEA officers doing on the scene? When did this event become a drug enforcement action?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good thing. I would like to believe that when our military puts a town under siege, they are a little more organized than what we saw in the Boston area the past 36 hours. If law enforcement had gone into that Watertown neighborhood armed as you describe, how much collateral damage would have been caused? How many civilians would have been killed, injured, or lost their houses?

P.S. What were DEA officers doing on the scene? When did this event become a drug enforcement action?

On the military, as a former military member the military would have been less organized. The larger the operation the more problems and the Boston manhunt was no small operation.

As for DEA, they are Federal LE Officers with arrest powers and were assets inplace with a large Field Office in Boston, why not use them since they are there!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The sad part is the little coward is still alive (to my knowledge as of this writing) now we can look at years of appeals, mental evaluations, ad nauseum. Cap his ass or let him bleed out they should have!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The sad part is the little coward is still alive (to my knowledge as of this writing) now we can look at years of appeals, mental evaluations, ad nauseum. Cap his ass or let him bleed out they should have!
    Well, hopefully they can glean some good intelligence from him. Not holding out a lot of hope for that, but still...

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    The sad part about this is gun control in Massachusetts. 100 years ago if the SOB was on the loose, the men in the neighborhood would get together and find the him. 100 years later, you lock your doors and stay with your head tucked between your legs, hoping the police find him. Sad.

Call me a modern day sissy-man, but I'm staying in my house with a pistol on my hip and an 870 right next to me. I'm not wandering around hunting for a guy who is potentially strapped with explosives. Make it a connection to gun control of you'd like, but it would go down the same way in any large city in this country.

I am glad that they got him but....
    It takes what, about a regiment to root out one (moderately?) trained adversary in an urban setting who's populace is hostile (but mostly unarmed) to that adversary? ***Repeat***I am glad that they got him (and not riddle him with ordinance).
    What amount of assets would it take if a scenario like that that took place in Mumbai would occur? A couple of heavy armored divisions?
    MH

Some folks have to pick out the negative in anything, because they could have easily handled the situation more effectively. To me, a person judging/condemning an operation like this, in retrospect and from an armchair, is a good indicator that said person has no clue what they are talking about.

Luck and the judicious application of projectiles.

The people should celebrate. They got hit hard. I'm glad the boat owner looked and saw and called. I want this guy to survive through his interview and trial.

Find the down side, point out the negative go for it, you're right. This was horribly expensive in money and lives. If it were handled perfectly, these guys would have been stopped before it happened, but it's not a perfect world.

The people of the Boston area have been on a mind trip and it looks like they can rest a bit. Let them clap for the police.

A lot of cops are going to get free meals and smiles and thank yous in that area for a bit. People are going to be recognized for saving lives at the bombing scenes and the press will take photos of the victims and their families smiling with the strangers who saved their lives by tearing strips of their own clothing to make tourniquets.

I have had too much negative for one week. I'm ready to go to bed happy about something. At least those two pieces of trash are not roaming the streets murdering people anymore. :twocents:

People are going home all over Boston tonight heroes to their families. Good for them.

Agree 100%. They're heroes to me too. Seems there are those out there who feel the need to be negative just for the sake of it. Maybe it's jealousy.

I read an news piece yesterday about the Tough Ruck group who helped at the finish line after marching the 26 miles in remembrance of fallen comrades, and a commenter had the audacity to ***** that the article was serving to take glory away from citizens and give it to the military. I **** you not.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Funny thing is that why didn't these ****ers stayed low profile after the incident, instead they were creating a racket and causing attention. It's either they were dumb asses or were told that's what they're supposed to do.

Or perhaps they were aware they would be recognized since they have lived there for years and their photos had just been posted like everywhere?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to the amount of body's put into this by all the LEA I would like to remind the Nay-sayers of one simple fact....These A$$Clowns killed for sport. 3 civilians dead, so many wounded with their lives forever changed, 1 LEO dead and 1 more down.

The response to this was, I think, in line with the situation. I was a bit put back by the troops but after some thought I would expect no less from those in charge and responsible for our safety.

Remember Barry's aimless and pointless speech last night (No prayers mentioned to those lost just his thoughts)......."He" has instructed all agency's to do what they would normally do any way but as "He" has instructed them it will be better.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012

Why? It'd be another Sandy Hook.. All that hate and rage about the bombing and no living person to blame is a bad bad thing.... The outraged public, having no one to place their blame on, will pick the next thing they can associate with it... In Sandy Hook, that "next thing" were the guns used...

I think I saw on here yesterday or the day before that a "lawmaker" proposed regulation of black powder/smokless powder because of the Boston bombing... See what I mean?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok, anyone here offer a better way for the LEO's to respond? Who is willing to go on TV and tell the public that LEO's are calling off the search due to OT concerns? Has ANYONE here ever search for an armed suspect in a urban environment and NOT overseas? It's very difficult. The level of detail involved in the search is directly related to the amount of danger the suspects poses to the public. Considering the dead brother was found with explosives and a switch on him, them bombing a marathon, ambushing/killing a MIT officer, seriously wounding another officer, chucking homemade grenades out the SUV they carjacked...YEAH the response was appropriate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok, anyone here offer a better way for the LEO's to respond? Who is willing to go on TV and tell the public that LEO's are calling off the search due to OT concerns? Has ANYONE here ever search for an armed suspect in a urban environment and NOT overseas? It's very difficult. The level of detail involved in the search is directly related to the amount of danger the suspects poses to the public. Considering the dead brother was found with explosives and a switch on him, them bombing a marathon, ambushing/killing a MIT officer, seriously wounding another officer, chucking homemade grenades out the SUV they carjacked...YEAH the response was appropriate.

+1....system will not let me rep you for a while.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    :yesway: There is a little phenomena called "force multiplier" when explosives are involved. At that point 2 becomes many.

I would agree that a maximum effort is needed to end a situation such as this as quickly as possible.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If anybody feels like puking this morning, tune into CBS and watch the pity party they are throwing for these two terrorists. They've had former classmates of the terrorists on saying how they were such nice guys, and just wrapped up a segment on how big the culture shock between their homeland and the US is. The set of boobs with a mouth.....err....I mean the "news anchor" sounded like she was narrating the life of a young George Washington with her description of the older terrorist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If anybody feels like puking this morning, tune into CBS and watch the pity party they are throwing for these two terrorists. They've had former classmates of the terrorists on saying how they were such nice guys, and just wrapped up a segment on how big the culture shock between their homeland and the US is. The set of boobs with a mouth.....err....I mean the "news anchor" sounded like she was narrating the life of a young George Washington with her description of the older terrorist.

I do not want to put a round through my new flat screen. It was only a matter of hours before the coddling started.

Remember everyone....these ASSCLOWNS killed for sport.

We let them in and educated them. They slept safe and sound every night which is not normal where they came from. The ate well and made friends.

Screw them and all who would do these things.

No, I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy today.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I do not want to put a round through my new flat screen. It was only a matter of hours before the coddling started.

Remember everyone....these ASSCLOWNS killed for sport.

We let them in and educated them. They slept safe and sound every night which is not normal where they came from. The ate well and made friends.

Screw them and all who would do these things.

No, I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy today.
    Exactly right. They were given asylum (which they sought out) from the violence and they chose to bring that violence here in return. Irony is a *****.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I am glad they caught the guy and glad he is alive. Should we worry about a terrorist being read his Miranda rights? I, personally, don't think so. If these guys had robbed a Quicki-mart and killed an officer in the process and then ran....yeah, read them their rights when you catch them, but these two committed a TERRORIST attack against innocent civilians on the streets of America. Will this guy talk? If they let the right people interrogate him, I think they could quickly break a 19 year old. Notice I didn't use the word "question" him. That was on purpose.

The amount of LE and resources used in this incident did look excessive from our camera lens view but you have to realize that American LE are not used to dealing with this type of event on a weekly or monthly basis and they certainly can't be compared with our military personnel who do train for this type of thing. If we were watching this play out in Israel or Bagdad or any other number of places, yeah, it's going to look different. Simple reason is just the shear amount of resources we have in this country. If this situation was unfolding in your neighborhood you would want to have seen the same response and most sane people are not going to think about the cost up front.

Now, what does worry me about this whole series of events? Everyone seems to be making the assumption that these two were working alone. May be the case. What if it isn't? Could very well have been a part of a 4-6-8 person cell. They found these guys awfully quick.

Another thing I think about is how this could have been used by "handlers" or the upper levels of an organization to study our response to this. Was very common in Iraq and Afghanistan for the enemy to put out a small IED or even a "dummy" device and set back and observe how we interrogated the device to learn our tactics, techniques and procedures. Maybe this is just the cautious, suspicious, observant, ex-military side in me coming out but these types of terrorist attacks could easily become the "norm" here in the U.S. without much effort.

Hopefully these two guys just got caught up in all the radical Islamic propaganda they were watching/listening to and acted on their own.

Was pretty comical to hear some of the comments coming out of the media last night though. I heard one call this THE "largest manhunt in U.S. history". Seriously? This guy must of never heard of John Wilkes Booth or our very own, John Dillinger. Heck, Dillinger was responsible for the creation of an entire federal agency on his own. LOL If it wasn't for him, the FBI might not have even been on the scene last night. ;)

Good job to the Boston PD, all the federal agencies involved and the people of Boston! If we could just somehow keep the politicians out of it....:twocents:

Top Bottom