• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    I posted this on FB a while back-thought I would post it here for some honest feedback:
    I would like to weigh in on the current firearms debate-not the legislation or politics but the fundamental issue which seems to be forgotten: our children and young adults are dying at the hands of their peers. We accept this fact when we send young, healthy men into combat to kill another nation's young, healthy men. The media paints an unrealistic picture of war. Sanitized and digitized, the "fighting" is always seen from afar, detached from our immediate reality. Out of self preservation (and self interest perhaps), we do not own the truth; that just beyond the digital horizon created for us limbs are being severed by shrapnel, screams and wailing cries of loss fill the air as mothers and fathers cradle dead children.
    When an incident like the school shooting at Sandy Hook occurs, we are reminded of the ugliness of human violence and our blinders are temporarily removed-we become reconnected to humanity in a vey real and painful way that we are unequipped to process. We genuinely mourn and empathize, yet we ask questions and seek answers that lead us away from the teachable moment of this crisis by preferring our old comfortable misery to an awkening. Bottom line-American culture glorifies and monetizes violence. Ultra-realistic video game play essentialy "trains" youth in hunting and killing-skills which were once taught father to son, in the woods, for the purposes of undestanding where our food comes from and illustrating the fragile nature of life and the consequence of the decision to pull the trigger-now replaced by gratuitous and endless on-screen violence toward our fellow man with no consequences, no guilt, no tactile feedback, no anchor in reality. We live what I call "reality life". We model our very existence after the unconvincing, imposible scenarios of television programs, fashion magazines, religious and cultural dogma, popular music culture, etc. and sever our connection with nature and reality in the process. The disconnect is so real and so confusing, that occasionally a young man feels it is necessary to execute several young children. But somehow, we don't allow that we helped to create an environment where love of nature and sanctity of life are so far removed from our understanding that we focus on banning guns instead of addressing the underlying issues, attitudes and practices that contribute to our recent problems with mass violence.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There is no such thing as "gun violence". Just like "assault rifle", it's another term we shouldn't even be using.

This^ If you use their terminology, then you are accepting their premise that guns cause violence. They don't call other attacks "knife violence" or "fist violence". They are attempting to link guns to violent attacks instead of the much more common act of self-defense. Always push back and tell them they are wrong. Don't accept their language. Then go ahead and talk about the various mental aspects related to attacks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There's a lot of truth in there, I believe. Many will roll there eyes at the notion that video games and movies cause people to murder others, for example. It is obviously true that the vast majority that have exposed themselves to such media do not. But I contend that if realistic, life-like, virtual training were not effective, then it would not be used by the military and law enforcement agencies.

There is also a sort of desensitizing that can occur. I know the first time I saw one of those hack-em-up horror movies, I'm not sure which one it was, but it had realistic looking murder scenes--I was disgusted. Same was true the first time I helped field dressed a deer. But you know what happens with repeated exposure? It doesn't disgust and offend the senses as much with each event. The same is true with any experience...you become accustomed to the sensations. Obviously, none of the pop-culture (video games, movies, tv shows) types of experiences has made me a child shooting, mass murderer but different experiences affect different people in different ways.

There's another aspect that I saw pointed out too that I hadn't realized before. Take "Sons of Anarchy" or "The Sopranos" for example. In both shows, the "good guys" are sociopaths. They are conveniently placed in positions where their way of life are endangered by "bad guys". And their actions to defend their clubs or "families" are often presented as violent, yet noble or justified actions to fend of the effrontery of the evil Myans or FBI. It's really subtle how our pop culture has changed the definition of who the good guys and bad guys are. I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    FOLLOW THE MONEY!

There is no such thing as "gun violence". Just like "assault rifle", it's another term we shouldn't even be using.

This^ If you use their terminology, then you are accepting their premise that guns cause violence. They don't call other attacks "knife violence" or "fist violence". They are attempting to link guns to violent attacks instead of the much more common act of self-defense. Always push back and tell them they are wrong. Don't accept their language. Then go ahead and talk about the various mental aspects related to attacks.

Agreed. If you really look, it's all based on Power, Money and Fear.
    The MSM only sheds light where it wants to, putting a new term on something that it wants to portray in a certain light. It's political interest and Money at fault. They use fear as a tactic.
    No one knows what happened at Sandy hook, or why there are always so many different sides to all of these 'Stories'. All I can see with certainty is the affects afterwards. FOLLOW THE MONEY! Who makes out? What happens? What was the plan before and then the plan afterwards?
    As far as culture goes..... My calluses on my hands used to mean that I was well off. Think about that. Your sweat for your benefit... That's where we all went wrong.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I believe that much of the direction we, as a society, are heading is due to or lack of the moral and social values that have or are being passed down from parents to children.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Normally I would be inclined to disagree with the entire ridiculous notion of desensitization and would argue that it is myopic, naive, and dangerous to freedom... It's Sunday, and I'm off to shop for gun stuff so instead..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuprMdtfVo[/ame]

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not a bad piece, however I must take issue with the idea that "violent video games" contribute to the spree killer mentality. Personally, I'd say that video games (and movies as well, for that matter) are as much of a red herring as guns when it comes to violent crime; excessive consumption of such games is at most a symptom of deeper problems rather than the underlying cause. To me, the core problems involve mental health and lack of decent parenting.
    A minor quibble I know, but just my :twocents: on that topic.

Top Bottom