• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    In an earlier thread I asked about peoples' opinions on the Ruger LCP, and in that thread, Nayls47 posted this link addressing stopping power of a .380. I found the info reassuring.

380 ACP Stopping Power

There really is no such thing as quantifiable "stopping power." The statistics in your link have been widely discredited as junk science.

Discrepancies in the Marshall & Sanow "Data Base": An Evaluation Over Time

Here is a link for ammo testing in ballistic gelatin, .380 results when fired from a Kel-Tec P3AT:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP ammunition performance in ballistic gelatin.pdf

Most JHP ammo penetrates about 9-10 inches, not quite making the 12 inch acceptable minimum by FBI standards. It may still be effective in staight-on shots at close range, but personally, I think penetration is more important than a fraction of an inch of expansion. That's why I'll be carrying FMJ in my LCP.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    My preference would be like everyone else to have a full power round at all times (9mm and up). It's just not always practical to do that. I have a 642 and LCP that I rotate as my backup/summer carry options. I have to say that while I think of myself as a wheelgun guy. The LCP is hands down easier to conceal. Extra ammo is easier to carry too.

I know that either a .380 acp or .38 spl will do the job if I do mine. I'm predisposed (6 yrs in the Marines) to trust accuracy over all other things.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone. Anything is better than nothing and like the OP said he is not supposed to be carrying so he needs to keep it hidden.

Blazer6122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I carry an LCP daily an love it. I too was a .45 or .40 only guy for a while. As with everything else... It's give and take. I don't feel underpowered as shot placement trumps bullet size. Learn what you carry, practice often! Happy shooting!

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    :n00b: I find this info ...umm... now what is the opposite of reassuring? :facepalm:

Unassuring? Disassuring? Deassuring?

Don't ask me....I got a "C" in English. :):

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Any pistol is a compromise. Even rifles and shotguns have failed to stop determined attackers. Thankfully, most attackers that a regular citizen are likely to encounter are looking for a score, not a gunfight. Any pistol is likely to deter their aggression, sometimes without a shot being fired. If not, do your best to hit a vital area and keep shooting until the threat is ended.

More than one bad guy has dropped like a sack of potatoes when shot with a .22, while there are stories of bad guys soaking up round after round of .45 ACP and still fighting. As I said, I don't have the option to carry anything that doesn't absolutely conceal, so while I'm at work, my decision has pretty much been made for me regarding platform and caliber. It's not a combat pistol, but it's several times more effective than harsh words!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like the 380 round. With today's ammo, it can be very effective. For me, my 380s are carried when it's either the 380 or nothing. Sometimes that choice is because I'm going to an area that is really, really unfriendly to guns and others because it's what I can carry given what I'm wearing. The two rounds I carry are a stout Corbon 90g round that is stronger than the usual 380 round (did not use the +P term) and the Hornady Critical Defense round. I don't feel under gunned with either of those.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone. Anything is better than nothing and like the OP said he is not supposed to be carrying so he needs to keep it hidden.

Yes, yes, & yes. I already stated that I am a fan of the revolver. But if concealment was the main criteria for picking a gun, then an LCP or similar small auto would be the best choice. They are just too darn easy to hide and carry.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I don't know about extensive ballistics tests, but, this thread reminded me of a news story about handgun carry that I read awhile back... The example cited in the beginning of the story was actually a Kel Tec 32(probably less "effective" than a 380)... Had he used a more effective caliber, the would-be robber might not have ran away 100 feet before dying... Maybe he would have... Who Cares??? The end result is what counts... It might not have been a "one shot stop" like the study(he fired 3 shots)... Again, Who Cares??? Pocket pistols aren't going to "bounce off" the BG and they're gonna need to be treated by more than a dermatologist...;)

:twocents:This story was great for more than just the "pocket pistol" reference but I guess then we'd be getting off topic and probably have to move to the 2nd amendment forum...:twocents:

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Caliber choice is exactly that a choice that an individual makes. If you are content with the energy from that round use it. I always would rather have something with much more energy. The first handgun i bought many years ago was a AMT 380. Carry what you feel comfortable with.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well back in the day of the .45 Auto and Smith&Wesson 9mm era, I carried a walther stainless PPK/s for years.......then one day a Tacoma WA PD showed me his Glock-19 and a buddy let me later fire his G-17, at the Ft. Lewis Wa range. WOW aint never been the same since. So A G-27 or G-23 in .40, go's where I go, and I have not fired or handled a .380 since 1992.

Get a G-26 9mm or G-27 .40 instead, hey its your life your protecting, only the best will do.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am like a lot of the people on here in that a 380 is better than nothing...it is my opinion that once the shots start going off size really doesn't matter...I hate to say it but once the your pulse hets up there and you are put in that situation everyones first instinct is to get the he'll out of there....yours and theirs! I carry a 357 snub nose...small easy to carry and easy to hide inside the belt....that being said I put 38 silver tips in it because the 357 is brutal out of the little bastard!!!!!!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Pro sub-caliber people will quip little sayings like "I wouldnt want to be shot by one" or "Anything is better than nothing"

Well... REALLY? Wow wisdom of the ages.

The gun you put on into the holster in the morning on your way to work should be the gun you want to come OUT of the holster when you are in a gunfight to save your life.

For me, thats a full sized gun. My life is worth it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom