HK USP

Pros
    The softest shooting .45.
    Ultra reliable
    Cocked and locked available
    safety available

cons
    expensive, expensive, expensive
    Trigger is very stiff (would love to have one with a sig trigger)
    and yes exceedingly expensive mags

But having something that will always go bang is priceless. I too just can't seem to get pass how much I dislike the trigger. You would think it would be a little better one considering how much you have to pay for one.

Last edited:

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    HK USP

Pros
    The softest shooting .45.
    Ultra reliable
    Cocked and locked available
    safety available

cons
    expensive, expensive, expensive
    Trigger is very stiff (would love to have one with a sig trigger)

But having something that will always go bang is priceless. I too just can't seem to get pass how much I dislike the trigger. You would think it would be a little better one considering how much you have to pay for one.

One con you forgot . . . the mags (full capacity) can be danged expensive!:eek:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, they are expensive, but I just recently bought mags for my Kahr and they were nearly $30 each for a single stack 7 rounder. :xmad:
    I normally don't stock up on too many mags, maybe 4 or 5 at most, so it's not that huge an issue for me.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    So I wanted to hear opinions from some owners of H&K pistols. I've considered buying one for a while now, but I always thought they seemed overpriced, are they worth it? I've been eyeing a USP in .45, but I don't know if I should go ahead and eventually purchase one. I also wanted to know how the safeties work on the USP's. Does the safety allow you to carry cocked and locked or does it function as a decocker?

i own one and i hate the plastic,stiff trigger on it. They are an over priced glock in my opinion.the mags are alot more than glock mags also.They shoot great and have never given me a problem and thats why ive kept my usp 45 for the last few years

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    i own one and i hate the plastic,stiff trigger on it. They are an over priced glock in my opinion.the mags are alot more than glock mags also.They shoot great and have never given me a problem and thats why ive kept my usp 45 for the last few years

It is much nicer and refined than a glock, not just an over priced glock.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

There is a guy on gunbroker.com right now that has "100" HK factory 10 round mags for $19.95 each, bought me 5! Hell new springs are $7.00!

I love my HK USP45 Var 1, in single action my trigger is fine, in double action it's "nearly" fine. I bought mine at Plainfield Shooting Sports off ol' Bob in 1995 it was the 4th one he got in his shop when they first came out.
    I got big old fat hands and it fits perfectly, goes bang everytime I have ever wanted it to, and not one time that I didn't want it to!

I trust it with my life everyday!
    :twocents:

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    my hands are pretty big so the .45 doesnt seem to big. it fits good actually. i dont think the trigger is as bad as others have stated. it could be a little better but not enough that i dont shoot it well.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    One additional question: On the Variant 1, does the safety function as a decocker or does it just allow for "cocked and locked" carry? This part I'm somewhat confused about. Also, how practical could the USP be for a carry gun? Obviously it wouldn't be good in warmer months, but I know some people carry full size 1911's, so would it be practical/possible to conceal?

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Push up for safety, down for decock. I carry decocked safety off//

I carry weak side or small of back inside and out of waistband with an untucked t-shirt in the summer.. My wife and kids never see it..

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Push up for safety, down for decock. I carry decocked safety off//

I carry weak side or small of back inside and out of waistband with an untucked t-shirt in the summer.. My wife and kids never see it..

Cool, I like the versatility of the decock or cocked and locked carry. I'll probably be looking for a good IWB holster for this once I get it.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    If you are buying a new gun, I suggest you look at the new HK45C (compact) that is my next HK. Looks to be just a little bit easier to use for an everyday carry piece.

You just can't go wrong HK if the price doesn't keep you away!
    :twocents:

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    A letter from H&K on just how good they are:

Dear Mr. Nathiuz

In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards.

But it doesn't matter, because our gun in on the cover of Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks... If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.

At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However, ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn't fit any accesories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool, isn't it? Yeah, you know you want one.

And by the way, check out out new HK45. We decided that Humans don't need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus, we've fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don't believe us, it is because you aren't a real operator.

By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the best things ever, and totally worth the asinine scalper's prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you're civilians, so we won't sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you,. but we know you'll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you'll come back, you always do.

Buy our stuff.

Sincerely,

HK Marketing Department

:lmfao::lmfao: BTW, I'd love to have a P2000sk so I'm not a hater, just thought it was funny and had to share.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thruthfully, HKs plastic pistols are decent guns, they just for themost part all have craptactular triggers and don't do anything a handful of other guns can't.

For the price, I'll take a SIG any and every day. Hell, I would probably take a CZ over them (my SP-01 friggin rocks.)

Now if you are talking about the P7, that is a completely different story. P7s rule.

As for their rifles.
    G3 - The FAL pwns it.
    G36/XM8/HK93/other 5.56 rifles - I'll keep my AR, thanks.
    HK416 - If I HAVE to have a piston AR, I'll take an LWRC and save the cash
    MP5 - okay they have a winner with this. But wait, they don't make it any more. Smooth move HK.
    PSG-1. Having held one. No thanks. It weighs a ton and they make the G3 action accurate by welding 10 pounds of bracing to the gun. I'll take an AR-10 SASS or M1A type rifle instead, or just a bolt action.
    Their US civilian versions SL8 and USC.
    SL8 - Umm how am I supposed to flip the safety?? Horrid trigger as usual with HK. It is one thing when it is a handgun, but a rifle. A good trigger is a must.
    USC - wow, not at all impressive. I'll take a Beretta CX-4 and save the money.

I have shot a full auto UMP 45. I liked it, but it was the first full auto I have ever shot, so me liking it was a given. I liked the shooting the MP5/10 a LOT more.

snake-doctor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Cumberland
    I used to own a couple of USP's. I liked them better than the Glocks I owned. Mine were just as reliable too.

I think HKs, Sigs and Glocks are pretty much even. However, I'm a revolver guy and I don't own semi autos anymore.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Many.

But that's hardly a fair comparison isn't it? If the standard for a trigger is a well tuned 1911, everything else has a terrible trigger.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Maybe I got lucky with my trigger, and the dry lube didn't hurt.:cool:

A buddy of mine shot my USP this past Saturday for the first time, he complimented the trigger as being one of the nicer pistol triggers he had ever shot.. and he has a whole bunch of very nice high end shooters.

We didn't talk about the gun or it's trigger before hand or nuth'in. I guess nothing else really matters to me but how my HK performs for me..:cool:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If the standard for a trigger is a well tuned 1911, everything else has a terrible trigger.

Exactly. :D

Truthfully, the USP's (and every other HK other than the P7 and P9) trigger is a mushy POS IMO. It feels like an XD trigger, which some people love, but I hate because of the vague break point. Forget "breaking like a glass rod", they break like a wet noodle.

Top Bottom