• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, me being a machinist by trade, I have both. All of my stuff is either Mitutoyo or Starett, but I get about the same degree of service out of either. Digital calipers are good for + or - .001 and no closer in my humble opinion. If I have to go smaller, I go to micrometers.

Good post.

I use calipers almost daily, and I've used a bunch of them. If you need something better than what Harbor Freight sells, the go right to the Mitutoyo and Starrett.

My preference is dial, except for when you need a comparator and then you can zero the digital ones anywhere, or if you want to do quick conversions from in. to mm.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Wait, I thought they were.....

How can they be the same thing just a different name but only the cheap ones drain the battery?

In all seriousness dial calipers take a little bit longer to be really fast at reading them, but once you figure it out and get some practice I think you will find them far surperior to digital, at least amongst the same price range items. I have always found digital ones to be finicky.

I said sometimes the cheap ones drain batteries. I have a cheap one that replaced my harbor freight one. They both are the same body and electronics. Theres not much difference for chips to calculate measurements so of course there are going to be ones that are different by apperance and yet the same thing. its just sometimes like with any electronics, they may drain your battery faster then what it should so I pull my battery to prolong life just in case. Nothing worse then turning them on to check something and they die on you. If you want the best readings I would go dial also. I have a micrometer for engine stuff but im lazy and like to just read numbers on a screen. Also im not making match ammo or anything yet.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I like my Frankford Arsenal calipers. Only complaint that I have is there is no auto shut off until the battery is dead, and the batteries that came with it, don't really last all that long IMO.

My Uncle is a die hard dial fan (uses the same one for over 20yrs), but he was the one that got me the digital one.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I use Mitutoyo digital calipers for reloading. They give accurate, repeatable readings and are easy to use and read. Batteries last several years.

Buy once, cry once.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have both but prefer dial as I feel that they are faster when I measuring several cases at one time before putting together a new recipe or measuring OAL of loaded cartridges.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I like digitals to be able to switch between metric and english systems. Other than that I prefer dial calipers.

I have several sets of cheap dial calipers and they all work well when using the outside jaw faces. That's what I have calibrated them for. The problem is they are not as accurate when I use them for inside measurement, step measurements, or depth measurements. My Mitutoyo digital calipers are spot on whether measuring OD, ID, steps, or depth.

Having said that, I will NEVER buy a new Mitutoyo gage of any kind. It says right on their website that the number one emphasis in their corporate philosophy is to promote Buddhist understanding throughout the world. I have no problem with Buddhists personally, but I don't want my money going to support the spread of a false religion around the world. Promoting Buddhism may be something you don't mind supporting or maybe it is. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Top Bottom