• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I am calling bulls**t. Carry what you are comfortable with. Dead is dead and bleed out and holes like swiss cheese in a body are still holes in a body. If you are accurate and quick with it -use it. Ignore all the liability talk--that is nothing but lobbyist speak for we are taking your guns. Don't buy into it. I have seen far too many autopsy reports of dead bodies hit with 9mm, 40 and/or 45 to be critical. You already carry so have placed yourself in the camp of "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Sure you can look at load data and penetration of FMJ and expansion etc but if you place your shot well and hit someone 15 times dead is dead. People were killed with clubs for almost 2 million years and no one ever asked if they were hit with oak or ash

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For 9mm FMJ, the ABOLUTE minimum I would carry would be a 124gr FMJ going 1250 fps but a truncated cone or flat metplat bullet. One of the original US (read our take on NATO M882) variants of the 9mm ball to be used was a bullet designed by Hornady that was a truncated/flat point bullet. The Air Force went nuts for it, but it was turned down as other NATO nations couldn't (probably didn't want to) use it for fear of jamming in submachineguns. Blech.

There are too many variables in a shooting. You add SOME by using ball, but in my mind, narrow metplat high vel ball is a touchy subject. Use of HP is always a better idea. They stop in the body, they expand to provide a larger wound channel. But you have what you have. Hell, sometimes I carry a violently loaded 158gr SWC in my .38s. Usually a winter carry so I dont have a HP to clog but this is rare with a well designed HP. Carry ball, get a wide metplat. Outside of that, practice practice practice hitting critical areas. Throat, face, belly at center line, etc... If carrying FMJ, use that penetrative power to hit the spinal column or critical organs. Spraying down a target with ball is probably a bad idea.

All in all, MUCH better choices available, but if you have ball and nothing else, gotta use what you use. I imagine criminals using ball in lots of murders in this nation and they do alright :D

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I am calling bulls**t. Carry what you are comfortable with. Dead is dead and bleed out and holes like swiss cheese in a body are still holes in a body. If you are accurate and quick with it -use it. Ignore all the liability talk--that is nothing but lobbyist speak for we are taking your guns. Don't buy into it. I have seen far too many autopsy reports of dead bodies hit with 9mm, 40 and/or 45 to be critical. You already carry so have placed yourself in the camp of "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Sure you can look at load data and penetration of FMJ and expansion etc but if you place your shot well and hit someone 15 times dead is dead. People were killed with clubs for almost 2 million years and no one ever asked if they were hit with oak or ash

And that's exactly what you better be capable of doing when carrying an anemic ammo like the 9MM FMJ. I've done considerable reading on real-world shooting data along with my LEO training, and carrying anything under a .45ACP FMJ is just not wise. And let's not forget that "range-accuracy" goes right out the window in a hi stress situation like shooting another human being. I would be vary careful giving people this uninformed "country-boy" style advice.

9MM can be quite effective with quality SD ammo. It is a miserable man stopper and quite likely to pass through the intended target and into a non-intended one if using FMJ's. Let's help this fella make the best choice as we know he has just that.... choices. :ugh:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    And that's exactly what you better be capable of doing when carrying an anemic ammo like the 9MM FMJ. I've done considerable reading on real-world shooting data along with my LEO training, and carrying anything under a .45ACP FMJ is just not wise. And let's not forget that "range-accuracy" goes right out the window in a hi stress situation like shooting another human being. I would be vary careful giving people this uninformed "country-boy" style advice.

9MM can be quite effective with quality SD ammo. It is a miserable man stopper and quite likely to pass through the intended target and into a non-intended one if using FMJ's. Let's help this fella make the best choice as we know he has just that.... choices. :ugh:

Please refer to your ILEA materials and then take it to the next step. It is hardly "uninformed country boy" style of advice. Train for those stressful situations and a .22 can be quite deadly. Yes, he has choices, but I would rather have an individual armed with a weapon they are comfortable with than one that the recoil undermines their accuracy. As former LEO I would assume you have been to multiple crime scenes and scratched your had and uttered "how in the hell?"

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Please refer to your ILEA materials and then take it to the next step. It is hardly "uninformed country boy" style of advice. Train for those stressful situations and a .22 can be quite deadly. Yes, he has choices, but I would rather have an individual armed with a weapon they are comfortable with than one that the recoil undermines their accuracy. As former LEO I would assume you have been to multiple crime scenes and scratched your had and uttered "how in the hell?"

Some things happen that dont make sense - but happens none the less.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    In my opinion it is irresponsible to carry FMJ on the street. Not considering an kind of prosecution or arm char quarterbacking, I carry what I think will stop the threat most effectively, while still being concealable. JHP is designed to stop in a body, FMJ is not. I carry to protect myself and those around me when trouble comes. Collateral damage is something I want to minimize in my community.

I do keep spare mags loaded with FMJ in the car incase I have to pop through a barrior, or for last ditch rounds. If I get down to that stuff my guess is that most bystanders have headed for the hills, and hopefully the cavalry is on the way.

If you really are concerned about procecution after the shooting stops, then simply ask a friendly police officer what type of ammunition he carries in his duty firearm. Then write down his name, you now have a witness who can attest to saying that you are using the same type of rounds that the city has authorized for use on the streets.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion it is irresponsible to carry FMJ on the street. Not considering an kind of prosecution or arm char quarterbacking, I carry what I think will stop the threat most effectively, while still being concealable. JHP is designed to stop in a body, FMJ is not. I carry to protect myself and those around me when trouble comes. Collateral damage is something I want to minimize in my community.

I do keep spare mags loaded with FMJ in the car incase I have to pop through a barrior, or for last ditch rounds. If I get down to that stuff my guess is that most bystanders have headed for the hills, and hopefully the cavalry is on the way.

If you really are concerned about procecution after the shooting stops, then simply ask a friendly police officer what type of ammunition he carries in his duty firearm. Then write down his name, you now have a witness who can attest to saying that you are using the same type of rounds that the city has authorized for use on the streets.

Hey, good idea.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I mix load my weapons. The first 2 are SD rounds. Then 2 FMJ. Back and forth like this till the mag is full. Sometimes you need the over-penetration of FMJ. Sometimes you don't.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Went back to my HAND CANNON (on the left). Thinner, bigger hunks o metal out the front, with at least JHP. I would like to find some HST after reading about them. I like my 9mm but the 1911 is thinner for IWB. I think I need a holster with at least belt clips instead of loops because the one I have with loops tend to slip toward the back and the clips seem to hold in place better.

Suggestions for a better IWB holster and where I can find HST ammo?

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Suggestions for a better IWB holster and where I can find HST ammo?

I have purchased my HST from Ammo2go, but they are currently out. Streichers currently has it backorderable for a good price.

As far as an IWB, you have a million choices with a 1911. For kydex I would look at crossbreed supertuck or comptac m-tac/c-tac. For leather I would look at milt sparks, tucker gunleather, but there are TONS of options. I'm sure someone else will chime in with ideas.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am a Speer Gold Dot guy myself. Ranger's, HST's are all good as well. They all do great, just some do a percentage better. As long as it can get through a coat/thick shirt then do the right job, I am happy. I would pick up Ranger's or HST's if I could find them cheaper than Gold Dot's.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm carrying Winchester Bonded PDX1 230 gr JHP in my .45. This is the round that this the FBI's new carry round in .40. Out in 9mm also.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom