• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I saw an ATI 1911 for under 450 at local shop, nice little 3.5" 45 ACP. I dont know much about this brand I do know I cant drop 800-1000+ on a top of the line 1911 currently. So ATI yes or no?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    they seem to be hit or miss based on what i've read. and customer service stories are not positive.

I have a MetroArms 1911 (similar but different company) that runs like a top.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You get what you pay for. Simple as that.
    In your price range I'd go used for a better brand.
    IF possible save up a little more $ and wait for a deal on a better model. JMHO.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The wife and I both have the commander sized (4.25) and have had no trouble what so ever, which is a good thing because I also have heard nothing good about their CS.

Now, the only reason we bought one was because a member on here had one and was nice enough to let us try it, along with a couple other options. When I saw hers would run the cast 200gr SWC without any issues, we decided to roll the dice and try one. After over a 1000 rounds without any issues, we added a second. WE now have 1000 rounds though both and couldn't be happier for what use we initially bought them for (range use ONLY).

So, to sum up, I would probably pass on that 3.5 in unless they let you shoot it first. They have worked for us, but we went into it very hesitant and tried one out first. We only added a second after trying out the first over the majority of the summer. Also, it was never an intent of either of us to adopt one of these as our EDC, but rather to give a couple Glock fans a idea of how something other than a polymer gun would feel.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Saw a full sized one at the Greenfield show yesterday for $399 and wondered how they were. Guess I did right in not buying it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    The wife and I both have the commander sized (4.25) and have had no trouble what so ever, which is a good thing because I also have heard nothing good about their CS.

Now, the only reason we bought one was because a member on here had one and was nice enough to let us try it, along with a couple other options. When I saw hers would run the cast 200gr SWC without any issues, we decided to roll the dice and try one. After over a 1000 rounds without any issues, we added a second. WE now have 1000 rounds though both and couldn't be happier for what use we initially bought them for (range use ONLY).

So, to sum up, I would probably pass on that 3.5 in unless they let you shoot it first. They have worked for us, but we went into it very hesitant and tried one out first. We only added a second after trying out the first over the majority of the summer. Also, it was never an intent of either of us to adopt one of these as our EDC, but rather to give a couple Glock fans a idea of how something other than a polymer gun would feel.
    I second the idea of passing on the 3.5.. Even the high end shops shy away from building them because they can be difficult to get running properly. 4" would be more likely to run without issues but that's just my :twocents:
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If that ATI of which you speak happens to be American Tactical Imports, I would RUN AWAY as fast as you could.

I'm in the middle of a customer service nightmare with ATI that went so far that I filed a claim with the BBB against ATI for refusing to service a firearm (upper) still under warranty.

For full disclosure, ATI has promised to "make things right" by replacing my upper with another, but made by a company OTHER than the one I originally purchased. This would actually be a good thing, provided the new part funtions properly.

My biggest problem with them is the fact that it took my filing a claim against them, and the 20 or so MONTHS ordeal it took to get to that point.

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

Still, Caveat Emptor- Buyer Beware

speedwobble

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Evansville
    I also have a 4.25" ATI. The frame to slide fit is real nice. The rails are not sloppy and the rear of the slide matches nice to the receiver, the beavertail to frame fit is smooth. Very well fit considering the price. The springs were weak in IMO. I installed Wolf springs new out of the box. I've had very few issues other than it has a habit of sending brass over my head or in my face once every 10 or 12 rounds. The OEM extractor is nearly impossible to adjust. I recently switched out the extractor with a Wilson Combat part and it's now throwing the brass in about a 6 ft circle to my right / rear. I bought the ATI because I wanted a bobtailed commander size 1911 and I wanted to do the bobtail myself. For under $400 I figured I could afford to learn from my mistakes on this model. I have no regrets on the purchase, it's one of my favorite handguns.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I also have a 4.25" ATI. The frame to slide fit is real nice. The rails are not sloppy and the rear of the slide matches nice to the receiver, the beavertail to frame fit is smooth. Very well fit considering the price. The springs were weak in IMO. I installed Wolf springs new out of the box. I've had very few issues other than it has a habit of sending brass over my head or in my face once every 10 or 12 rounds. The OEM extractor is nearly impossible to adjust. I recently switched out the extractor with a Wilson Combat part and it's now throwing the brass in about a 6 ft circle to my right / rear. I bought the ATI because I wanted a bobtailed commander size 1911 and I wanted to do the bobtail myself. For under $400 I figured I could afford to learn from my mistakes on this model. I have no regrets on the purchase, it's one of my favorite handguns.
    agreed! I have one on order, and I thought the same thing! I'd rather customize/modify a $400 1911, than butcher my springfield, and hate myself for it!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I second the idea of passing on the 3.5.. Even the high end shops shy away from building them because they can be difficult to get running properly. 4" would be more likely to run without issues but that's just my :twocents:
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

+1

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    My brother has a full size and likes it alot. Only problem he had was he sliced his thumb open on the safety while racking the slide.

Top Bottom