Thought I was gong to need my SD pistol last night...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I woke up in the middle of the last night after hearing a series of dull thuds that in my hazy state of mind sure as heck sounded like someone trying to open our deadbolted front door. (Imagine the sound a shoulder would make ramming a door 3-4 times to try to get it open).

I jumped up quickly, which woke up my wife. I said I think someone is trying to break in as I grabbed my pistol and headed out of the bed room to investigate. She sits up and starts pannicing of course.

What surprised me most is that I didn't get the sudden rush of adrenaline that I thought I would get. Everything seemed to slow down, though, and I don't even remember racking the slide and getting ready to go. (I don't keep it locked and loaded since I have a young child in the house)

Luckily it was a false alarm (no perp in the house, all the entrances secure), and I didn't have to use my weapon. I stayed up a few minutes checking each entrance a couple of times to see if someone was visible through the moonlight.

I never did figure out the noise, but suspect it might have been from the wind last night, the water heater burping, or I may have even dreamed the noise up.

In retrospect I'm sure it would have looked pretty funny to see a half asleep guy in boxers with a gun trying to find out what "goes bump in the night..."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What surprised me most is that I didn't get the sudden rush of adrenaline that I thought I would get. Everything seemed to slow down, though, and I don't even remember racking the slide and getting ready to go. (I don't keep it locked and loaded since I have a young child in the house)

Dude, that probably was the result of the rush of epinephrine. Tachypsychia (the sensation that everyone is slowing down) and not remembering all of your actions are common effects.

I'm glad it was just a false alarm, and even more glad that you were prepared to handle it. Good on you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Be thankful for every realistic "training run" that turns out uneventful. You learn so much more when you approach it as reality and not just practice. Go over it and fine tune your plan for next time (which I hope is also uneventful:))

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Had a similar incident a a while back. I did not wake my wife (a tactical decision) but really wished I had those boxers...

What I remember most is the sudden realization of awakeness and absolute clarity in my senses. That and the thought "If that was not really a bad sound, why I am suddenly fully awake, standing and armed - all automatically."

I.E. question what you will, but I am certain that you did hear something that was out of the normal and threatening. That is what kicked you up and awake in 0 seconds flat.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    She sits up and starts pannicing of course.

Might wanna work on that.

It took a couple of "false alarms" before my wife and I realized that:
    1) we needed a real plan, and
    2) she needed to be an integral part of it

We sat down, figured some sh*t out and assigned respective duties, and our next "training moment" went MUCH better. It's all good in our hood now.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I once read a thread from a guy who got scrambled in the night, lost his primary gun in the dark, tangled up his secondary in his pants so bad it put both the pants and 1911 out of the fight, and sent him downstairs in his wife's bathrobe with a taurus tracker 44mag hunting pistol.

The story ends with him locking himself out of the house in that bathrobe. Did I mention it was snowing? (I will try and find the article.)

I use that as my baseline for grading my reaction skills... :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Confronting an intruder whilst naked is an application of potentially deadly force in some cases. It's a risk someone takes when they break into someone's house. They might prefer a seatful of buckshot, though. You can get buckshot removed and you'll eventually heal. You can't "unsee" something after you've seen it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I would suggest you take a look at that line and think about getting something with quick access but more secure than unloaded. Years ago I used to have my weapon unloaded because I figured if I were awake enough to load then I would be awake enough to know what was going on. One night I hear a noise in my bedroom, opened the nightstand drawer, inserted a magazine, racked the slide, and drew down on my wife who was coming back from getting a drink. That scared me and her. After that I have never had a gun that was not locked up. I now have my gun in a gun vault by my bed. The nice thing is that it is very quick to get to, it's already loaded, and the quiet beeps let my wife know what is going on. It's kind of strange - my wife will sleep through a tornado, but, if she hears those beeps, she is wide awake...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You had a good experience. Woke up. Decided to act. Racked the slide (instinct reaction) and went to investigate.

The next time it may be for real and now you have had some practiced.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Same thing happened to me several years ago and I found myself clearing the house with a tiny Keltec P3AT. After this ended in a false alarm I realized that the p-shooter I was carrying was insufficient. Needless to say my night-time go to gun is now substantially bigger!

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Same thing happened to me several years ago and I found myself clearing the house with a tiny Keltec P3AT. After this ended in a false alarm I realized that the p-shooter I was carrying was insufficient. Needless to say my night-time go to gun is now substantially bigger!

Its best not to clear your house unless you have someone else to back you and/or you have been properly trained to clear a building.

Heck I was but I still dont want to... unless I have no choice - Its best to let the LE do the work.

Without a partner, you may be caught off guard. I would stay and let them come into a fatal funnel.

...Unless you absolutely have to ... in order to get to a phone etc. Just my :twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...Unless you absolutely have to ... in order to get to a phone etc. Just my :twocents:

Or to check on your kids down the hall or on a different floor. If the sound is definitely someone kicking in a door, the retreat and hold option is obvious. When you just hear a bump in the night and you have 2 cats and three small kids, the situation is never that simple. Your kids might have made the noise, or whatever did make the noise might be carrying your kids out the window and down the street...

Waiting is not always the easy option.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Agreed on the "not clearing the house alone" and "creating a fatal funnel" theory. My ex came home one night after a night out with the girls at about 1am and proceded to kick at the door of our apartment because she was barely sober enough to stand even though she had a key. By the time she'd remembered she had her keys I was sitting in the dark with the XD ready to rock and roll. Upon hearing the jingling of the keys I figured out who it was and let down my guard, but after walking in to see me standing there locked and loaded essentially waiting for her (or whoever was so intent on trying to come in the door) she never pulled that stunt again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom