This sounds like one heckuva shootout...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    100+ rounds. Lucky no LEOs were killed.

Glad the officers were cleared. Sounds like the bad guys got what was coming to them.

DA: Officers who killed two bank robbers justified - The Denver Post

Westminster police were justified when they fired more than 100 rounds at a pair of bank robbers on Nov. 19, Adams County District Attorney Don Quick said today.
    Police fired 105 rounds, of which 75 struck the rented Subaru car used by Christian Benshoof, 35, and his common-law wife, Ashley Johnson, 25, to flee a Westminster bank they had robbed of $8,400.
    Benshoof and Johnson both were killed. Benshoof, who was driving the car, was shot nine times and Johnson, who was in the back seat of the car, was also hit nine times.
    The pair led police on a 16-block chase that reached speeds of 100 mph and fired their guns at officers as they drove up busy Federal Boulevard during the lunch hour. That gunfire struck Westminster police officer Shawn Chandler in the leg and Westminster Deputy Chief of Police Tim Carlson in his right arm, according to a letter sent by Quick to the chiefs of police of Westminster and Federal Heights.
    The incident began shortly after 11:51 a.m. when police received a report of robbery at the FirstBank branch at West 120th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard.
    Quick said that the first shots were fired by the suspects, with Johnson moving from the front to the back seat and firing multiple rounds out the back window of the car.
    "The only logical reason for Ms. Johnson to shoot out the back window was to get a clear shot at the pursing officers, which is what Ms. Johnson did," said Quick.
    "All the officers in the pursuit were exposed to deadly physical force by the occupants," Quick wrote. "Yet they did not return fire as they continued the pursuit north on Federal."
    Quick said that in the area of 119th and Federal, the Subaru slowed down, and there Benshoof pointed his gun out of the window and fired two or three times at a car driven by Sgt. Matt Rippy, a patrol sergeant with the Westminster Police Department.
    One of the shots went through the front windshield of Rippy's car, directly at him, hitting the top of the steering column and deflected into the dashboard. Another of the shots hit Carlson.
    Police used their cars to stop the Subaru at West 120th Avenue and Federal, and a gun fight broke out.
    A total of 103 rounds were collected from that intersection.
    Numerous officers at the scene told the suspects to show their hands, said Quick. But Johnson and Benshoof refused, continuing to point their guns and, according to some officers, fired at the police, said Quick.
    In such a situation, the officers were justified in responding with deadly physical force, said the district attorney.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    It sounds to me that it was an "all or nothing robbery" they weren't going to get away with it, so they took the old suicide by cop way out. Good riddance, idiots like that are widely spread across this country.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Man I really need to get my priorities in order...
    My first thought in reading that article was "Geez.. that poor Suby!" :facepalm:

I'm glad the officers were not harmed more than they were.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Man I really need to get my priorities in order...
    My first thought in reading that article was "Geez.. that poor Suby!" :facepalm:

I'm glad the officers were not harmed more than they were.

Just patch the holes with a little bubble gum... The car will probably run for another 10 years.

Top Bottom