This is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    First, if you own a gun, suck it up and look, it is a lesson well taught.Unfortunately for the victim, it was a hard lesson.

Second , by his on admission, he got complacent. With a gun it is something you can NEVER do.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Just showed my boys this too! They have never done anything unsafe but I am still ever vigilant when it comes to firearms safety. They both grimaced at the sight.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    That is vicious.
    When I open my revolvers, I usually hold weapon in my right hand and bring my left hand over the top of the revolver to help push the cylinder out.
    Heck, sometimes I just activate the release with my thump and with a jerk pop the cylinder open.
    Next time I do it, I'll pay extra attention to my method.

Boy I would sure hate to be the guy with the hole in the hand, doubt he ever gains back full function of that hand!

By the way - I was told by a gunsmith many years ago to NEVER "pop the cylinder" open on a revolver. This after my son's S&W 686 was having a problem, the gunsmith straightened the "yoke" (not sure if that is the proper term for the part that supports the cylinder and pivots with it).

He said this was the easiest way to damage a revolver! After he said that I looked at what he was saying, that yoke really take an impact when it is stopped by the frame with the cylinder
    hanging out there. I have been careful how I open mine every since (and I will certainly keep my hands away from the barrel).

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    That gave me that weird numb feeling I haven't felt since the first headless Iraqi I saw ten years ago. I've almost been where he is now. That's terrible, but a very, very good visual reminder to not get complacent. Ever.

And...it also makes me want to get a .357

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    First, OUCH! That sucks.

Buddy of mine recently put a 45 acp through his hand, he was letting the hammer down on his 1911 and the fat part of his hand was hanging over the muzzle a bit and ,Bam, he manages not to hit a single bone.....lucky guy

Wait.....He was doing what?!? Why in the world was he "letting the hammer down" on a 1911 with a round in the chamber, heck even with out a round in the chamber why would you "let the hammer down"? I hope you explained to him that he was doing it wrong.

It's going to be a beotch finding gloves........

but really..... ouch.

Not really, check out page 44, post #437, he said he already found some gloves.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    First, OUCH! That sucks.

He was doing what? Why in the world was he "letting the hammer down" on a 1911 with a round in the chamber, heck even with out a round in the chamber why would you "let the hammer down"? I hope you explained to him that he was doing it wrong.

Not really, check out page 44, post #437, he said he already found some gloves.

LOL yeah, I saw that post. :): ouuucccchhhhhh for sure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The not so apparent message needs to be pointed out also. The man decided to unnecessarily manipulate his weapon while in sole charge of the well being of his two year old. Luckily things turned out OK, but this could have been much worse than shooting yourself.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    LOL at that 2nd post more concerned about how the hell he typed on the forums.

And :): at this reply:

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by 300AAC-hoghunter
    Well that sucks...

Things you just can't do anymore:
    1.Flip the bird
    2.Live long and prosper sign
    3.claim to have all your fingers and toes
    4.buy normal gloves
    6.why is there no #5? Well... You can't count that high anymore lol

Now for the pros

1. Less road rage..
    2. Never pay full price for a manicure anymore
    3. Cool story for the grandkids
    4.less time trimming nails
    6. One less finger to possibly hit while using a hammer

Last edited:

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Yikes. A cautionary tale, to be sure.

But he HAD to have pulled the trigger, right? That revolver doesn't have a 'cocked' position, does it? Or am I mistaken?

The other day, after reading something on the forum, I wanted to check the trigger pull on my S&W revolver (#337). I released the cylinder, turned the weapon to drop the rounds into my lap, and closed the cylinder. I then proceeded to pull the trigger (part way) to feel how much was required to pull back the hammer. I didn't dry fire .. but was close to that point. Did this a couple of times.

Opened the cylinder to reload .. and there, in the cylinder.. was one lonely round that had not dropped. I stared at that for a few seconds with a kind of empty feeling.

One can never be too careful. Lesson learned.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yikes. A cautionary tale, to be sure.

But he HAD to have pulled the trigger, right? That revolver doesn't have a 'cocked' position, does it? Or am I mistaken?

The other day, after reading something on the forum, I wanted to check the trigger pull on my S&W revolver (#337). I released the cylinder, turned the weapon to drop the rounds into my lap, and closed the cylinder. I then proceeded to pull the trigger (part way) to feel how much was required to pull back the hammer. I didn't dry fire .. but was close to that point. Did this a couple of times.

Opened the cylinder to reload .. and there, in the cylinder.. was one lonely round that had not dropped. I stared at that for a few seconds with a kind of empty feeling.

One can never be too careful. Lesson learned.

Your story is an excellent reminder.

ALWAYS, always, always visually inspect the chamber before dry firing, cleaning, or showing the weapon to anyone else. And don't let yourself be satisfied with a single inspection, check it two or three times in the case of a semi auto pistol, because those can reload themselves. Don't just be satisfied with a visual inspection, feel the chamber to make sure it is clear even.

The worst thing is to vet complacent because you know the four rules, and allow yourself to be distracted. When touching a deadly weapon you must not only be focused, but hyper focused on what you are doing--anything less demonstrates lack of respect for the weapon, and could result in tragedy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    These things always amaze me (although they shouldn't).

Learn how to do things the right way and do it that way - every time. There's no method I've seen that puts any body part in front of the muzzle when opening the cylinder.

Do a visual AND tactile verification of the unload.

Learn from the mistakes of others.

(head shaking)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    At the end of the day it likely all comes down to complacency. It's human nature to get complacent when we're familiar. It takes effort to avoid complacency.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    No.

Guns go bang without fingers on triggers.

By the ghost of Steve Malloy, if all we learn is this then we are way ahead of the curve.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the implications of what you're saying. That was a hammerless revolver. Is it possible for the weapon to have ended up with the hammer locked back, ready to fire? Surely you're not suggesting that my boxes full of ammunition might start going off on their own. I was assuming that in this case the only way the firing pin would get hit was if he had pulled the trigger. But I don't know if it's possible on that particular hammerless revolver to lock the hammer by using the trigger, without actually firing the weapon, which would then leave it in a dangerous state ..

?

Top Bottom