This is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The link has a very graphic image of a gun shot through a hand, if you have a weak stomach - don't follow the link. You've been warned. My 1st and last ND Very nasty picture not for weak stomach | Firearms Discussion Forum | The Outdoors Trader

That said... I haven't read the whole thread over there yet but I thought this may be an eye-opener for some. I've seen plenty of people put their hand in front of the muzzle when holstering a gun, clearing a gun, or any number of other situations.

It sucks to be him, but at least he's still alive and nobody else was injured.

Stay safe guys.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    He admits to having his hand in front of the muzzle, but swears he didn't touch the trigger. Just hit the cylinder release and it fired.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    That is vicious.
    When I open my revolvers, I usually hold weapon in my right hand and bring my left hand over the top of the revolver to help push the cylinder out.
    Heck, sometimes I just activate the release with my thump and with a jerk pop the cylinder open.
    Next time I do it, I'll pay extra attention to my method.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Buddy of mine recently put a 45 acp through his hand, he was letting the hammer down on his 1911 and the fat part of his hand was hanging over the muzzle a bit and ,Bam, he manages not to hit a single bone.....lucky guy

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    They did a pretty good job patching him up I'll say that. Lucky it didn't end up worse.
    Did a pretty good job but he did lose one finger... I understand things do happen, but never point a loaded gun at something you're not willing to destroy comes to mind... should have never had his hand in front of the muzzle... I've had 1 ND that I was a part of: handed a "cleared" weapon to a guy to do some maintenance and apparently the rim was ripped off the case and there was a round in the chamber. I learned the hard way that you always verify the chamber is empty, not just rack the bolt a couple times. No injuries. He pointed in a safe direction and dropped the hammer. I also was involved in a mechanical failure discharge in which nobody was injured because the weapon was once again pointed in a safe direction at the time of the failure that caused the discharge.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Keep reading, he admits later on that he probably pulled the trigger and just didn't realize it.

It could have been just the squeeze then. From pushing the cylinder release with his thumb, the index finger naturally grips to compensate.

Pay 100% attention at all times to safety, and especially trigger finger discipline. That trigger finger should default to the side of the gun every time and be planted there firmly for control. Straight finger.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Wait a second, isn't that revolver a double action, which requires a 9lb pull? Did he have the hammer back in SA? The cylinder won't open when the hammer is back, so he had to have pulled the DA trigger...

How does one do that without noticing?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Wait a second, isn't that revolver a double action, which requires a 9lb pull? Did he have the hammer back in SA? The cylinder won't open when the hammer is back, so he had to have pulled the DA trigger...

How does one do that without noticing?

LCR is DAO, no exposed hammer.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I didn't click the link. I've shot many an animal and I just don't care to look at that kind of carnage to a human. But point is very well taken. Thanks for posting! :yesway:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a former student that shot his hand with a 45 in very similar fashion. He THOUGHT he cleared the weapon. Left the area, then came back. Continued to clean and shot his hand. 45ACP does a lot of damage.

Good reminder to us all to follow the 4 rules. I pray that I am never injured by my own firearm (or someone else's for that matter).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom