• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...The driver was arrested and charged. They even had video of it. The homeless guy later got a ticket for jaywalking, but the mayor interceded and got the charge dropped (not only for the homeless guy who attacked the driver, but for all of the homeless people who had stopped traffic for several minutes and had been issued tickets). ...

Exactly why there is a larger than necessary homeless problem in Bloomington (and why the town is attracting career homeless criminals from a wide area).

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Sorry , but you hit me and I fire! Try not to be an easy target ! As the BG is in your car drive off, he'll sh*t his pants at 60 mph. Dont take a beating cause you think somebody might help him.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I couldn't finish the vid since my kid walked in. But in the order of "What I'd do."

1. Not be there in the first place.

2. Roll up windows and get the hell outta there.

3. Start backing up with a sudden acceleration when the car door was open and the thug was standing on the interior side of it.

Somewhere in there is an opportunity to shoot, but I've been in a situation where there was an opportunity to shoot. Sometimes it's better to escape and evade than have to defend or go on the offense.

I hear what you're saying, but I really must say that it is not wise to put oneself in a bad spot. It's a balance. And I'm guilty of taking improper chances with my own safety, too.

I ride my bicycle everywhere I can. Even places where people say that I should not. I say, "this is my town, too. I should be able to go anywhere, anytime of day or night that is public and nobody is going to stop me", alas, that attitude may end up getting me hurt someday.

What should I do? not live my life? I certainly would never bend to respect such street urchins.
    My wife deserves to have me alive at home. Every person deserves to go through life without being hassled. We don't live that reality.

Riding around today was beautiful. I think about it, fortunately, "Do I want to take a short jaunt through a known high crime area? or make it home safe to have a nice St. Valentine's dinner with someone that appreciates my company more than the coroner does?"

It breaks my heart knowing people don't have a chance to defend themselves. The video was from 2010 in a place I don't even know where. It could be anywhere. It's not going to get better. My heart breaks for society.

Kinda like the women who dresses like a whore and gets drunk at a party. She should be able to behave like that without having to worry about someone taking advantage of her. But with the world the way it is and people the way they are, it's a bit foolish to assume you'll come out of a risky situation unharmed. You almost have to assume you will be targeted and behave accordingly.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My response wasn't directed at anyone in an attempt to be offensive. It has nothing to do with urban vs. rural. If you believe it cannot happen in a rural area, you are mistaken. It probably happens right now and you are just not aware. The thing with odds are, there is a chance that one day they will not play in your favor no matter what you do. Also, it has nothing to do with being scared. Who wouldn't be scared in that situation, but when fear alters a person life, that's another story. I just wish criminals were afraid the common citizen could possibly give them a third eye and avoid taking these kinds of actions.

Next are you going to try to tell me it doesn't have anything to do with race either?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have been in a similar situation on 38th street at McDonalds. A car door is a formidable weapon. The first guy went down on his knees and then took several more hits from the door to his head, He went out. This was when I put my gun on the dash before carefully backing out and driving away. I was then stopped by police at 38th and sherman and thrown into the curb. 3 hours later I was told to leave and never show myself in the area again. I had a dented door, torn shirt (cops), bleeding forearm (cops) and gun locked in my trunk (cops). Some places you don't know who is worse, the jitterbugs or johnny law........

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have been in a similar situation on 38th street at McDonalds. A car door is a formidable weapon. The first guy went down on his knees and then took several more hits from the door to his head, He went out. This was when I put my gun on the dash before carefully backing out and driving away. I was then stopped by police at 38th and sherman and thrown into the curb. 3 hours later I was told to leave and never show myself in the area again. I had a dented door, torn shirt (cops), bleeding forearm (cops) and gun locked in my trunk (cops). Some places you don't know who is worse, the jitterbugs or johnny law........

Well, you at least have a fighting chance against jitterbugs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Well, you at least have a fighting chance against jitterbugs.

Yes, I stand corrected. Another problem is that you are conditioned to comply with the cops. I had used the door on the thug before I even realized what I was doing (upon realization of what I had done, I hit him a few more times). But when the cop walked up to my window, I rolled it down..... The next thing I knew, I was in the street with a knee on my neck. I bet there were 10 cops there. I don't even know if he dragged me through the window or snatched the door open. It was a tough night after a tough day at work.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yes, I stand corrected. Another problem is that you are conditioned to comply with the cops. I had used the door on the thug before I even realized what I was doing (upon realization of what I had done, I hit him a few more times). But when the cop walked up to my window, I rolled it down..... The next thing I knew, I was in the street with a knee on my neck. I bet there were 10 cops there. I don't even know if he dragged me through the window or snatched the door open. It was a tough night after a tough day at work.

And that is sad.

I don't know about you, but there isn't a person on this planet that could pull me out of a car window if I resisted. If a police officer (they'd have to be huge) attempted it, I would probably be so scared for my life that I'd let it happen. I mean, what are my other options? Resist and get beaten even worse or killed?

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To me it wouldn't be worth popping the guy for a few reasons.

1) right or wrong it is likely going to cost you money to defend yourself in court (even if you dont hit an innocent).
    2) While Que's hypothesis that his buddies would up and bolt seems very probable one can always surmise (with a probability) when dealing with idiots the improbable is always a probable when dealing in uncertain probables. (trademarked and not to be used in any future Que Videos)
    3) If you let that situation get to the point where you need a gun you have let the situation escalate and are probably not the sharpest tool in the shed anyway.
    4) Shoot the guy and when his coward ass friends gain the courage to find out where you live (it will be a matter of public record) and shoot your house up as retribution (see Boyz N The Hood) and hurt you or a family member. Some of you may say bring it on but to this I can only sigh.

I say the best option is to agree with those to remove yourself from this scenario before it gets escalated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    And that is sad.

I don't know about you, but there isn't a person on this planet that could pull me out of a car window if I resisted. If a police officer (they'd have to be huge) attempted it, I would probably be so scared for my life that I'd let it happen. I mean, what are my other options? Resist and get beaten even worse or killed?

Who had time to resist? Hell, I was young..... I might of resisted, if I had time. He snatched me out the car without even a word and slammed me down like a rag doll, and I am not exactly a tiny guy. I had a burn across my neck from the seatbelt and I honestly don't remember how I exited the car. Maybe I was unconscious at some point? It was rough.

That was why I commented on being conditioned to submit to the cops...... You roll down your window like you are suppose to do without thinking you are going to experience the second criminal assault in 10 minutes.

Benny, I don't know you or know how big you are, but I believe that this particular hulk of a cop could drag you out a car window. either way I know what happened to me in a split second. The difference was the uniform. The jitterbug caught door before I could think, The cop however was given every opportunity to finish what the first guy started. I surely didn't expect the same conduct from both of them.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Who had time to resist? Hell, I was young..... I might of resisted, if I had time. He snatched me out the car without even a word and slammed me down like a rag doll, and I am not exactly a tiny guy. I had a burn across my neck from the seatbelt and I honestly don't remember how I exited the car. Maybe I was unconscious at some point? It was rough.

That was why I commented on being conditioned to submit to the cops...... You roll down your window like you are suppose to do without thinking you are going to experience the second criminal assault in 10 minutes.

Benny, I don't know you or know how big you are, but I believe that this particular hulk of a cop could drag you out a car window. either way I know what happened to me in a split second. The difference was the uniform. The jitterbug caught door before I could think, The cop however was given every opportunity to finish what the first guy started. I surely didn't expect the same conduct from both of them.

Misunderstanding, buddy.

I was saying that there is absolutely, positively not one single person on this planet that could pull me out of a car window, IF they are not wearing a badge (like in your situation). The sad part is that a cop has so much authority that if you resist, regardless if you are innocent or not, you are going to end up dead or in the hospital. That's why I said I'd probably just let it happen if it was an officer.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Has anyone really stopped to consider the outcome of blowing that thug away? Maybe you legally defend yourself and kill the guy but then what? The rest of the group advances on you and you do what? Start shooting them all?

Not being fecetious here, just wondering what really happens in situations like this? I'd still be hesitant to pull and fire in that situation.

You just shot one, the rest will scatter.

In the one and a million chance they don't? What does it say about their motives, advancing on a person who just shot someone else?

It is what it is.

You deal with the threat at hand, not the threat that may be.

In any case, sitting around arguing about moving with your window down in that situation is... suicidal. Drive off.... assuming you can.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    You just shot one, the rest will scatter.

In the one and a million chance they don't? What does it say about their motives, advancing on a person who just shot someone else?

It is what it is.

You deal with the threat at hand, not the threat that may be.

In any case, sitting around arguing about moving with your window down in that situation is... suicidal. Drive off.... assuming you can.

I think it's a safe assumption others in that crowd would be armed... No thanks. I'd rather drive off and live than be involved in a shootout.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Has anyone really stopped to consider the outcome of blowing that thug away? Maybe you legally defend yourself and kill the guy but then what? The rest of the group advances on you and you do what? Start shooting them all?

There are plenty of videos that show that when the bullets fly, almost 100% start fleeing. A handful, if that, of a large group will pull their own guns, while usually only one or two might actually pull triggers. There is a video of a gun going off in a St. Louis night club, and the entire crowd flees. Also, there is a difference between targeted people and random people who just happened to have a gun. I've seen a few gun fights were people will go at it, but even then, 99.99% never advance. Most are either behind cover shooting at random, and the others who can move are usually shooting, but moving towards an exit of some sort.

It has nothing to do with urban vs. rural. If you believe it cannot happen in a rural area, you are mistaken. It probably happens right now and you are just not aware.

Gas stations to the west and north of my location have crowds like this all the time. However, gas stations in my suburban/rural area, and in even small towns and more rural areas don't have these crowds form in any sense of the way. Yes, it could always happen, but I would put the likelihood at about .01% given the physics involved (distance from population centers, underlying morals and values of the surrounding residents, number of people within walking distance, lack of concert or other venues that draw crowds, etc.). I do however agree that if one sees such a crowd of troublemakers, they would be best to avoid them. I think the cases where a crowd forms within seconds would be rare, and in such a case, do what you need to do. For the most part, one would be best to move along, and if all the gas stations in ones area is like this, then I would seriously consider moving out of that area all together, or sacrifice one or two meals out a month and use that money to drive an additional five or ten miles to a better gas station.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Ever drive down 38th street pin a summer night? Looks just like this. If it were me I wouldn't have stopped, honestly, because I know what happens when you're not of the same persuasion as the majority standing around wanting to price how "hard" they are. HOWEVER, if I were to suddenly be in a situation like that I would not hesitate to wrap the urbanite's arm in the seatbelt and egress rapidly to a safe distance from the crowd, at which point I would let said urbanite free to careen down what is almost certainly a busy street. Probably wouldn't bother calling the cops because they would take just as much time to get there as they would if I were getting beaten and left for dead.

Top Bottom