• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You just know that if it were a privately owned restaurant that had this many issues, they'd be shut down.

antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    dome was one of the nicesest stadiums in the country, like 6th i think? it still isnt paid for...this just makes me laugh! $7 beer? yeah right! i wont ever step foot in that place! property taxes up 300% in last 6 years..hmmmmm?

have a hotdog and pop, need a damn co-signer!

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I didn't buy anything, as I use my Ir$ay deductions since I don't get any use out of that building.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have applied for an executive position there at least 3 times. But they don't seem to have any interest in a chef with 31 years experience, whose last 3 health inspections (Back when I had a job) were 100% 98% and 100% :dunno: So I say, that's what ya get dumbazz!!!

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I think that they were planted by the Pats in hopes that the place would be shut down and the game would have to be played in New England. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    dome was one of the nicesest stadiums in the country, like 6th i think? it still isnt paid for...this just makes me laugh! $7 beer? yeah right! i wont ever step foot in that place! property taxes up 300% in last 6 years..hmmmmm?

have a hotdog and pop, need a damn co-signer!

RCA Dome was not one of the nicest in the county, it failed horribly on a lot of things.

Now as not being paid for thing, almost every construction project that was tied to the Dome/Convention Center over it's lifetime was being piled right back into the original bond issue, sorta like a Home Equity style loan.

Now about food prices, ever buy a Dog, coke and popcorn at a movie theater?
    Cost almost as much.

Don't blame property taxes on Lucas Oil Stadium.

Blame it on some property owners who started the whole "Market Value" tax, before the increase went haywire property taxes were based on "True Tax" or replacement value.

If memory serves me correct it was a total of 12 property owners in Lake County that sued the state that set things in motion, ended in in State Supreme Court with a ruling coming down that the whole system had to be change to market value.
    Indiana Local Government Information Web site: House Assessment

And for my final parting shot, anyone who want to biotch about the darn 1 penny a dollar tax they pay on restaurant food purchases, feel free to figure out how much you spent on restaurant food purchases over the last 11 months and I'll try and scrounge up enough to pay your share of it.
    (If you ate a Big Mac Value meal every work day for a year that amounts to 4.89 x 260 days = $12.74)

I think myself and anyone who has been in both the Dome and Lucas will say it is worth it.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Blame it on some property owners who started the whole "Market Value" tax, before the increase went haywire property taxes were based on "True Tax" or replacement value.

If memory serves me correct it was a total of 12 property owners in Lake County that sued the state that set things in motion, ended in in State Supreme Court with a ruling coming down that the whole system had to be change to market value.

I don't blame victims, I blame offenders, in this case, government.

And for my final parting shot, anyone who want to biotch about the darn 1 penny a dollar tax they pay on restaurant food purchases, feel free to figure out how much you spent on restaurant food purchases over the last 11 months and I'll try and scrounge up enough to pay your share of it.
    (If you ate a Big Mac Value meal every work day for a year that amounts to 4.89 x 260 days = $12.74)

I think myself and anyone who has been in both the Dome and Lucas will say it is worth it.

Better yet, just deduct 2% from your normal tip amount, and put that back in your pocket when you eat out. To keep from paying the Ir$ay tax at fast food/no tip places, just cut back on eating out. Keep that money in your personal bank account. If enough people cut back and a few places go out-of-business and a handful of people lose their jobs...not our concern. Maybe they can find a job trying to catch mice at the stadium or working for min. wage at the convention center once it is completed.

I couldn't afford to go to the Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium, hence my use of the Ir$ay deductions as described above.

And for my final parting shot, I don't want to hear _any_ tax payer that lives in any county that is paying for the Colts to complain about the lack of any government service, that crime is out of control and we should be keeping people in jail longer, etc. etc....you choose to use a portion of a tax to build a stadium...this was your priority, so if burglars are constantly getting early release because the jail is out of money, or the state is out of money, well be willing to pay more property, income, or sales tax to confront the issue you now have a problem with.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    RCA Dome was not one of the nicest in the county, it failed horribly on a lot of things.

Now as not being paid for thing, almost every construction project that was tied to the Dome/Convention Center over it's lifetime was being piled right back into the original bond issue, sorta like a Home Equity style loan.

Now about food prices, ever buy a Dog, coke and popcorn at a movie theater?
    Cost almost as much.

You think the tax is worth it because it is something you enjoy. Should we subsidize all hobbies? Maybe Indy should build a scrapbooking emporium at taxpayer expense and let all of the people of Indy pay for it while the "owner" of the emporium pockets hundreds of millions of dollars.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You think the tax is worth it because it is something you enjoy. Should we subsidize all hobbies? Maybe Indy should build a scrapbooking emporium at taxpayer expense and let all of the people of Indy pay for it while the "owner" of the emporium pockets hundreds of millions of dollars.

Except for the fact that this "hobby" does bring in money to your community. I know I asked before but no one had an answer (except for one who told me to look it up for myself), but has there been a study done on the economic impact that the Colts have on the community?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Except for the fact that this "hobby" does bring in money to your community. I know I asked before but no one had an answer (except for one who told me to look it up for myself), but has there been a study done on the economic impact that the Colts have on the community?

I don't care if it has a positive impact or not. Show me where it is the business of government to affect the market place. Do you think our founders would approve of federal, state, or local governments stealing the land and confiscating money of private citizens to fund another citizen's business? Oh, who cares, it's only freedom anyway.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't care if it has a positive impact or not. Show me where it is the business of government to affect the market place. Do you think our founders would approve of federal, state, or local governments stealing the land and confiscating money of private citizens to fund another citizen's business? Oh, who cares, it's only freedom anyway.
    I think the Founders would accept this long before they would the Fed Gov being involved, if they accepted it at all. I really don't know how it all came about, but I know I did not vote for my taxes to be used for anything sports-related. I do not buy logo-enriched merchandise, I do not go to their games, and I don't watch them on my TV. If they happen to be on somewhere else where I am, meh. I don't really care either way. (Although, if I need to change the subject in an uncomfortable moment, that's kinda my fallback: "Hey, how 'bout them Colts?" I'm sure one of these days that will backfire when they're having a losing season and I don't know about it. :dunno: Once again... Meh.
    Stuff like this, IF it's to involve government at all, should be a referendum vote. Personally, I prefer "let it stand on it's own or fall on it's own." If the team owner wants a new stadium, let him build it. If he can't, let him go out and find donors. Failing that, no new stadium... or maybe one without all the flash and razzamatazz.

But I guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

Meh.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

The money it brings is laughable at best. Not only that, Marion Co./Indy pays a very large amount of property taxes to the _state._ As such, why do a small % of the population get taxed to pay for this thing benefiting the entire state? Any study done would be suspect, because either side would use the stats and figures to support their side. The truth is that no one can say if bringing the Colts here really did anything that good for the city/state, except maybe making some people happy. That is because we can't compare a Colts Indianapolis with a non-Colts Indianapolis, as one doesn't exist. Clearly our tax subsidized sports teams have had an influence on causing some businesses here to flourish, but I honestly feel that most of the wealth went to a select few. All I hear is how having a pro-sports team brings in business, gives good PR, etc.. Well, where are all the massive businesses that move to Indy because of the Colts? Using that logic, we should have two or three Lilly/Simon type companies that came running as soon as we built the Dome, Lucas Oil, Victory Field, and Conseco. That didn't happen and it doesn't happen. The only big name organization/company that I think might have come due to our sports capital was the NCAA, and they only came after they were given a bribe. (The bribe was that we would let them build their HQ in a property tax free state park. We essentially gave them a life time exemption on property taxes.).

The easiest way to disprove all the "financial benefit" arguments is to ask those who claim such: "If these ventures being in so much money (income, sales tax), then why do we need any special taxes to pay for them?" Now, they will say that those taxes go to the state, not directly to the project. Yes, they are right, but even if you were to pass a special law directing all those taxes to pay for the project, it still would need more taxation. The stadium costs $750M+interest. If you took all the taxes Irsay paid, all those that the players paid (including Pacers, Indians), and all the sales taxes from the stuff sold at the Lucas Oil...would that be enough to pay for this venture? If so, then that is what _should_ happen, direct taxation to cover the costs of such projects. Even with this, you are going to have lots of Ir$ay types out there requesting law changes for special tax direction to fund their own pet projects.

Top Bottom