This is nuts I wouldn't work for a company doing this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I think you're missing hornadylnl's point.:dunno: We all need to stop allowing ourselves to become "victims", and as he said we ALL need put on our big boy pants and ALL start refusing to submit to things like this. NOT turn to the government to do it for us. Only problem with this is many would/will go unemployed until the message is made clear NO ONE will tolerate this kind of intrusion of privacy.

hornadylnl, correct me if I have it wrong.:yesway:
    Exactly agree with this. Wasn't my point of posting, but I totally agree.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think you're missing hornadylnl's point.:dunno: We all need to stop allowing ourselves to become "victims", and as he said we ALL need put on our big boy pants and ALL start refusing to submit to things like this. NOT turn to the government to do it for us. Only problem with this is many would/will go unemployed until the message is made clear NO ONE will tolerate this kind of intrusion of privacy.

hornadylnl, correct me if I have it wrong.:yesway:

If so, no more so than he is misinterpreting my point. I don't know how much clearer I could get than declaring that I would tell the offending interviewer to go f**k himself and walk out. I don't see how this could be interpreted as a call for more legislation, observations about potential legal implications regarding invasion of privacy notwithstanding.

He made a clear point about the implications of me telling others how to run their businesses never mind that my personal privacy is the point at issue. That said, I fail to see where I misinterpreted his point, although I will say that you are absolutley correct about one of the points he made. Had he stopped with opposing more legislation, he and I would have had very compatible positions.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    How does facebook show the work ethics and abilities in a person?
    I guess if an employer is looking for people that love to gossip and socialize and make others miserable in the workplace, then that's what they get.:rolleyes:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I guess if an employer is looking for people that love to gossip and socialize and make others miserable in the workplace, then that's what they get.:rolleyes:

Excellent point. Then again, most invasions of privacy and/or rights are very useless for their ostensible purposes.

ericb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    passwords

I dont think asking for the applicants facebook passwords is fair. Its seems like it would be invasion of privacy.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Not many employers DO require this. I very much imagine this to be a 'brushfire'/falseflag article, to try to convince employers that this is very common, and hey, since they've got most people over a barrel, who will say no? Just my thoughts on it, but regardless, no one, no one, no one, needs your password, much less your fingerprints or DNA, or biometrics.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Are you telling me you've never made a character judgement of any posters here based on their posts?

I've said before that if you want a good indication of a person's character, spend some time with that person's children.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    THAT is a most excellent point!

So then, wouldn't it make sense that what a person posts on facebook might reveal their character? How is a prospective employer looking under the hood of an applicant any different than a customer taking a used car to a trusted mechanic before buying? They both want to ensure they don't get a lemon. Would you want to hire a guy who had hoodlum type pictures on his page?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wouldn't that qualify as coercive invasion of privacy. Likewise, I find it intrusive that some want to run your credit before hiring you. Why? You want to work and get paid, not borrow money from them. Needless to say, my answer wouldn't be 'no' but 'Hell No'!

If you're trying to get a certain job that requires a security (or top security) clearance, and having bad credit would disqualify you from getting a top secret clearance :dunno:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Are you telling me you've never made a character judgement of any posters here based on their posts?

I've said before that if you want a good indication of a person's character, spend some time with that person's children.
    You can't always rely on the words and actions of a child. There are a lot of kids that end up in jails and prisons but yet the parent has done all they can to be active and a positive role model in the childs life. Some kids (not all) are stubborn and rebelious and simply do as they please outside the parents discression. The best way to know a person, is to spend time with that person. Don't rely on what the majority of others think or say. Those majority of others could very well be, well, not so good of a majority themselves.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You can't always rely on the words and actions of a child. There are a lot of kids that end up in jails and prisons but yet the parent has done all they can to be active and a positive role model in the childs life. Some kids (not all) are stubborn and rebelious and simply do as they please outside the parents discression. The best way to know a person, is to spend time with that person. Don't rely on what the majority of others think or say. Those majority of others could very well be, well, not so good of a majority themselves.

I didn't say it was true 100% of the time.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Well the Facebook thing is stupid. I'll show you 10 Facebook photos and you tell me which person is now serving our country overseas and which is currently in jail for robbery... you would be wrong half the time probably...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So then, wouldn't it make sense that what a person posts on facebook might reveal their character? How is a prospective employer looking under the hood of an applicant any different than a customer taking a used car to a trusted mechanic before buying? They both want to ensure they don't get a lemon. Would you want to hire a guy who had hoodlum type pictures on his page?

I can go along with this up to the point at looking at what is visible on FB, but demanding that he turn over his password so you can look at his restricted information is going way too far. This is the electronic analogy to rummaging through his underwear drawer.

Likewise, if he has children who are little heathens you hate to see coming (or conversely, little angels you do like to see coming), you are looking at something publicly available and not an invasion of privacy as demanding to spend the night or peeking in the windows would be.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    At the time I was asked for a password of any sort, the interview would be politely terminated and I would be on my way out out the door without a glance back.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I seriously doubt the actual owners of these companies know their managers are asking for someones password. If I owned a company and heard of such malicious activity, they'd all be fired.

Top Bottom