This is not an attempt to sell. Help give idea of value of my1948 Marlin 336A 30-30

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Theboss81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2023
    Elkhart
    Looking to get honest assessment of possible value of my Marlin. It is a first year waffle board no screw holes. It is JM stamped absolutely no cracks or scratches in any of the wood the metals has no rust pitting or scratches. The but plate cracked at top screw but I have a replacement off of another 1948 336 that arrives in the morning. This gun has been properly stored for over 30 years now. Gun is in perfect working and firing condition.
    Hopefully I can get some rough idea of what a private sale price might be compared to the 50% price I know I would receive at any of the local fin stores.

Attachments

• 20230506_153822.jpg
      20230506_153822.jpg
      498.4 KB · Views: 37
    • 20230506_153829.jpg
      20230506_153829.jpg
      478.8 KB · Views: 47
    • 20230506_153843.jpg
      20230506_153843.jpg
      567.1 KB · Views: 47
    • 20230506_153847.jpg
      20230506_153847.jpg
      515.4 KB · Views: 44
    • 20230506_153952.jpg
      20230506_153952.jpg
      607.5 KB · Views: 32
    • 20230506_153958.jpg
      20230506_153958.jpg
      452.4 KB · Views: 35
    • 20230506_154413.jpg
      20230506_154413.jpg
      322.4 KB · Views: 32
    • 20230506_154450.jpg
      20230506_154450.jpg
      284.8 KB · Views: 36

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I will give you one honest answer. I suggest you go to the home page and read the Welcoming new members page. Then read as much other stuff as you can. Then think about what you have read n read it all again.

Then, and only then ask your question.

You need to check your approach. Just my “Honest Opinion “

By the way, Welcome to INGO, please stick around and take advantage of the neighborhood.

Theboss81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2023
    Elkhart
    I will give you one honest answer. I suggest you go to the home page and read the Welcoming new members page. Then read as much other stuff as you can. Then think about what you have read n read it all again.

Then, and only then ask your question.

You need to check your approach. Just my “Honest Opinion “

By the way, Welcome to INGO, please stick around and take advantage of the neighborhood.
    Alright then apparently I did something not appropriate. My apologies and let me go see if I can find the error of my ways. Not a kid here but definitely feel the Treatment of one. Again my apologies should I delete this post?

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Alright then apparently I did something not appropriate. My apologies and let me go see if I can find the error of my ways. Not a kid here but definitely feel the Treatment of one. Again my apologies should I delete this post?
    No sir, or mam if that’s the case. But you should read the minimal amount of info here. You’re question will be answered if you will take the time to learn about these folks. Best of luck.

Theboss81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2023
    Elkhart
    No sir, or mam if that’s the case. But you should read the minimal amount of info here. You’re question will be answered if you will take the time to learn about these folks. Best of luck.
    I gotcha again my apologies will just delete this and try again at a later time appreciate the feedback thank you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Note this is not an ad. This is a new member looking for an assessment of a rifle.

@Theboss81 please note we've had a lot of issues in the past with individuals skirting the classifieds rules (link below.) Your request for info does look a lot like a classifieds want to sell (WTS) ad. In fact it's better than many ads I see as far as information and pictures. No feet or toilets in the pictures so that's good (one of many INGO inside jokes.)

With that said, click the link below and introduce yourself. Good bunch around here with years of knowledge. We do tend to be protective of the site. We might be a big dysfunctional family but it's OUR big dysfunctional family ;)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    J stamped Marlin rifles are commanding a premium price these days.
    The 336 model is not among the most desired, but not far off.
    You did not mention caliber, which could greatly affect the price.
    If it's a .30-30, I'd guess a good asking price at about $750-$800.
    If it is chambered for .35 Remington you may get a bit more.
    I would suggest you look on GunBroker.
    You can search completed sales to get an idea of current prices.
    You do need to be a registered member to use the advanced search feature, but it is free to register.

Good luck, and welcome to Ingo

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Insurance Requirements ?

I had to provide a list, including Serial Numbers, and Estimated Current Value for extra coverage

----------

Firearms are normally covered under the personal property component of a homeowner's insurance policy, but there may be limits on how much your insurer will cover for certain valuables. That includes firearms. This is because expensive possessions, such as firearms, jewels, and art collections, typically come with special liability limits, sometimes known as sub-limits. In a normal base policy, firearms have a sub-limit of $2,500 for loss by theft. That means an insurer will not pay more if your firearms are stolen from your residence.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Welcome to INGO.. I don't understand the curiosity about the value if you have no intention of selling? I have some things that aren't for sale and therefore could care less about what today's market price would be.
    I don’t know the op’s intent or situations in life.

That being said, when my father passed, the lawyer for the estate wanted a value on all his guns, if that’s the op’s situation, asking on here won’t work, you’d need something from a professional for value (a gun shop) and even if you work in a gun shop, your opinion won’t work (I worked in a shop part time when my dad passed) but the lawyer said that the owner of the shop could give a value (but I couldn’t???) so I wrote down all the info from the guns, and gave it to him to value, at the same time I valued them myself researching on gun broker (sold price, not asking price). Some we agreed on some we didn’t, but the estate had 50 guns, and between me and him, we were within 100 dollars of each other!

But the biggest difference in value was a 94 Winchester, it was a 100 year model, stamped 1894-1994, big loop in 44 magnum with box and paperwork (it was fired) they were selling on gun broker for 13-14 hundred and he said dads was only a thousand

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    The 336’s seem to bring less than other Marlins for whatever reason. I actually had a ‘1936’ (made in 1937) and kick myself for letting it go because I’ve never seen another (but admittedly never really catch myself looking.)

Great rifles but kind of a one trick pony (deer hunting rifle mainly).

If you want to actually sell it, I’d price it around $550-$650. If you want to bump your ad every week for a year, that’s another thing altogether.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Welcome to INGO.. I don't understand the curiosity about the value if you have no intention of selling? I have some things that aren't for sale and therefore could care less about what today's market price would be.
    To each their own. I’m one of those weird ones, that even though I have no intention of ever selling any of my collection, I still keep track of values. To me personally it’s a comfort knowing the pieces I bought as part of the collection aren’t losing value. Plus my ocd has me tracking numbers for everything.

My working guns on the other hand, idc much for their value.

Idk, just throwing a different perspective out there.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Are there any recommendations for an honest firearms appraiser in the Indianapolis area?

I have several inherited pieces that I would like a value on.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Note this is not an ad. This is a new member looking for an assessment of a rifle.

@Theboss81 please note we've had a lot of issues in the past with individuals skirting the classifieds rules (link below.) Your request for info does look a lot like a classifieds want to sell (WTS) ad. In fact it's better than many ads I see as far as information and pictures. No feet or toilets in the pictures so that's good (one of many INGO inside jokes.)

With that said, click the link below and introduce yourself. Good bunch around here with years of knowledge. We do tend to be protective of the site. We might be a big dysfunctional family but it's OUR big dysfunctional family ;)

It looks like your good advise fell on deaf ears. You couldn’t have drawn a better road map. I would like to think the best but since he isn’t introducing himself when he only had to click the link. That says a lot about what this guy will bring to the table.

A great job of Diplomatically bringing his feet to the fire, and drawing a roadmap for others to follow who choose not to read the rules.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'll throw my two cents into the ring -

I don't see anything wrong with a new member asking a legitimate question about the value of a firearm. Maybe it's for insurance reasons, or just pure curiosity. Maybe he just wanted to show off a cool rifle. Who knows, but he's getting roasted for having a decent post. And some people don't want to introduce themselves in the new member thread. Nothing wrong with that.

If he's gone in a week with feedback, then I'll eat my hat, but the first few posts certainly aren't welcoming from INGO members. That exchange would have been better left in PMs.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Value and what you can sell it for can differ by quite alot

G43x (pre MOS ) $500
    TLR-6 $100
    Red extended controls $30 + $30 + 30
    Red Tungsten Guide Rod $90